PDA

View Full Version : Novice cat owner needs advice!

carolinexx
28-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Hello, I've just introduced myself on the other forum so I shall get straight to my questions.

Kitty had cat flu while she was in the rescue centre, had AB's and I was told to keep her in for 4 weeks. She wants to go outside, I won't let her out yet of course! (not for another 2 weeks yet anyway!) But she is sometimes a little aggressive with us and I was wondering if it's possibly frustration as she can't go out mixed with settling in to a new home? She comes to us for a fuss but she will suddenly turn and nip or scratch us, she's very unpredictable at the moment. She's also scared of the dogs too (understandably!)

I have her booked into my vets next week for a check up as she is still sneezing and sounds a little chesty sometimes, and she also doesn't like to be stroked down her side so I'm wondering if she is sore there for some reason.

We have no idea whether she has been spayed, so I am a little nervous about letting her outside til I know for certain, I'm also worried about her not coming home again as this is a new neighbourhood for her. But she does need some exercise, she is a petite cat but has quite a podgy tummy (a sign of possible spaying so the rescue told me!)

I suppose I am really wanting some reassurance that she will come home once she is let outside!

And I've just remembered another thing! I feed her in the morning, she has a pouch in jelly which she eats straight away and dry food which she grazes on all day, but usually by bedtime, her bowl is virtually empty. If I don't get up and feed her straight away, say I start to read my book in bed, she will start to swipe at my book and my hands, if I go to stroke her she can get quite nasty, scratching and nipping. Once I feed her she seems to calm down again! Would I be better giving her a pouch at bedtime too, to stop her being so hungry and aggresive in the morning? I was trying not to overfeed her to try and get rid of her podgy tummy, maybe I am slightly underfeeding her but really don't think she should be any bigger. (I know how easy it is to overfeed dogs and am very careful with their food too!)

Sorry for the long post, but as I said I am a complete novice with cats and appreciate your thoughts!

babycakes
28-12-2007, 03:02 PM
You are right to post your queries here so don't worry about that you will receive a lot of helpful advice and tips. :)

I don't know about the cat flu so I won't be able to offer anything constructive for that, but I'm sure others here will be able to.;)
The aggression may be after effects of being ill, but my cat can be aggressive. I think it's thier way of saying they have had enough fuss, (unlike dogs who will be petted all day,) some cats just don't like it. :lol:
The thing is, owning a cat is very much on the cats' terms and conditions!!! They will let you know when they want feeding, petting, playing with, want to go out etc...That for me is the fun of owning them (or them owning you) ;) and every cat is different so you will get to know your cat like this and its character.
I leave food out all day for my cat when his bowl is empy or when it looks dry etc I change it and refresh, but my cat eats in moderation and doesn't overeat. Also It lives alone without any other pets for competition but from being a multiple cat home in the past I have tended to always do this. (others on here have regular feeding times and may advise you better).
Have fun with your cat and I look forward to chatting and watching it grow up (pics please)

Mags
28-12-2007, 04:20 PM
I understand from your introduction post that you've had Kitty for 2 weeks, is that right? I certainly wouldn't allow her outdoors yet for another couple of weeks until you are confident that she has now settled in ok with you and 'knows' you. Even then, let her go out before she is due a feed so that she will be hungry and know to come back indoors again for it. Go outside with her for the first few times and, if you can, bring her back in after about 10 minutes to a quarter of an hour ........ that will give her time to sniff around and get the scent of her garden.

Do you have an enclosed garden? Are you near a main road? These are things to be considered when you have a cat who will have access to outdoors.

Is that Kitty in your avatar?:D I have a tortie too!
When we first brought Cassie home she used to nip and scratch too. Some torties do have a tendancy to be very timid and show this aggression when they are frightened.
She soon grew out of the habit by us giving her a firm "No!" every time she did it. Maybe Kitty is still frightened, she has lost her previous owner and now has to start a new life again.

As for feeding, I feed Cassie tinned Whiskas ......... she has approximately three quarters of a tin a day spread over two meals a day. She gets a small sprinkling of dry food with her meals.

As you say she always appears hungry, did the Rescue tell you if she has been recently wormed?

It's only natural to worry about things when you get a cat for the first time, ask all the questions you want even if you think they sound silly ...... we have all been through it and you will only learn by asking!;) Enjoy you cat!!

dandysmom
28-12-2007, 05:47 PM
I agree that some torties tend to be shy, mine was. And this has been a big upheaval in her life; two weeks isn't very long for her to start feeling really relaxed and safe in her new home; hence a little agressiveness. The "hangy down tummy" (as a friend used to call it) does tend to appear in spayed females. The vet should be able to tell you if he thinks she needs worming. As to feeding, my Leia, who is a big girl (14 pounds) gets 2/3 of a tin at breakfast and in the evening with a sprinkle of dried on it; and snacks from the rest of the can in the afternoon and before bedtime. She likes little meals in between the main ones.

angieh
28-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Hi CarolineXX! I see that others have mentioned worming, which is the first thing that sprung into my mind. Do you have any idea how old Kitty is? I know it's difficult if she was in a rescue centre before she came to you - they may not have any info either. You have done the right thing IMO booking her in for a check up at the vet's. Hopefully the vet should be able to answer at least some of your questions.

If I am reading your post right, you feed her a pouch of food in the morning and she has access to dry food to eat at will. I would certainly give her more food in the evening. Many of the boxed cat food pouches will give an indication of how many to feed per day depending on the weight of your cat. For a larger cat, it can be as many as 3 or 4 per day, so Kitty may actually be quite hungry in the evening.

As to swiping you with her paw (and claws) - I would agree with Mags, not having experience of tortie's particular behaviour patterns - be firm with Kitty and tell her "NO". My tabby used to do the same thing and he was generally grumpy and wanted to be left alone. He could be purring away one moment and then swipe with claws or teeth next moment.

Good luck with Kitty - I hope you manage to sort her out!

carolinexx
29-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all your help and advice!

Yes, that's Kitty in my avatar! She's gorgeous. I will get some more piccies of her and try to post them.

OK, so yes I've had her for almost 2 weeks now, and I'm not planning on letting her outside for a few weeks anyway, maybe til I'm sure she's spayed, I don't want a litter of kittens on my hands! I do have an enclosed back garden, which the dogs use, I am thinking maybe Kitty will favour the front door though to keep away from the dogs! I live on a cul-de-sac at the bottom far corner of a housing estate which is relatively quiet with traffic, but the big bonus is that my front door opens onto farmers fields, lots of open fields for all the animals! Also plenty of wildlife for her to present me with!

The rescue said she'd been wormed and flead, standard procedure I suppose, but will get some wormer from my vet as the dogs are due too!

I gave her another pouch last night and topped up her dry and she was a lot happier this morning, not screaming at me to feed her. She's on Whiskas for both and she really tucks into the pouch straight away and eats the lot! Feeding guide says average cat (!) 1pouch + 60g dry 2pouch + 40g dry 3pouch + 20g dry or 4 pouches daily. I think I will stick with 2 pouches + dry, maybe I was underfeeding her!

I do give her a firm NO when she goes to scratch or nip us, but am only too aware that you can't train a cat like you can a dog! Mostly she is quite loving and affectionate so I am hoping that she will calm down as she settles in.

I am really enjoying her company though, especially when she hops onto our bed at night, and can't wait to have her fully settled and integrated into our family life.

Really appreciate all your help and advice, thank you!

Edited to add: The rescue think Kitty is about 2 yrs old so still quite a young cat.