PDA

View Full Version : Sunny and our squirrel...Friends or Foes?

Sunnybuns
26-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Here is our little squirrel (well he?she? is getting fat from all the food we give it), our squirrel comes to our door and takes food from our hand. Sunny and Chloe love to watch the squirrel. This time, I only got Sunny in the pictures.
Enjoy! :)
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j282/Daizybananaa/Sunny/100_9842.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j282/Daizybananaa/Sunny/100_9849.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j282/Daizybananaa/Sunny/100_9841.jpg

Jac
26-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Hehe so cute!! Eileen will love them:cat14 :cat14

alexgirl73
26-12-2007, 06:44 PM
awww, so adorable!!!! Should have put a warning in the title for Eileen lol!!

Moli
26-12-2007, 07:59 PM
He is a real cutie, just wait till DM see's him!!

dandysmom
26-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Yes, my blood pressure must have shot up! I am notorious on here for my deep intense loathing of the tree rats!!! They may look cute, but they are the Devil in disguise....they dig up bulbs and plants as soon as you put them in, they uproot plants in pots and bury their acorns there, they are covered in fleas, they devour the birdseed and they steal the tomatoes right off the vines just when you were about to enjoy them.... if it were legal I would feed them too....rat poison!!

I guess you get the impression that I do not care for squirrels....:-D

Moli
26-12-2007, 10:44 PM
I guess you get the impression that I do not care for squirrels....:smt003

Think its very clear what you think of them DM!!;) :lol:

smudgley
26-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Well I wouldn't feed them rat poison, however I do agree with everything else that DM says. It's just a rat in a fur coat. They are vermin. :(

dandysmom
26-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Thank you, Smudgley!!! Vermin indeed; what a shame some idiot introduced the Eastern Grey squirrel to the UK!! Your reds aren't anywhere as destructive, and now they're endangered....(rant over!!)

Sunnybuns
26-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Well...this squirrel seems to be the only one coming to our door so it is quite the amusement of the day for us. There is another squirrel that he/she "hangs out with" but that one never comes to our door. It is just nice to have nature right at your door. They are wild and some of them seem to be a little smarter than others. But, this squirrel is a little devil and she is smart. We used to have a screen door and once we stopped feeding her, she chewed it and made holes and broke the screen door basically. So, yes, you can call them pests. But, if she would of brought more along, then yes, I would be annoyed and angry and might consider feeding them something else.... :oops: jk...kinda... :oops:

dandysmom
27-12-2007, 12:43 AM
They chew through wood also; both my neighbor and I had squirrels gnaw holes thru the soffit boards on the porch so they could nest under the porch roof!! Expensive to fix! I should add that I live in an area only a few blocks from the woods, and the entire neighborhood is infested with them...my neighbor hired a trapper to relocate hers, and within weeks others had moved in! I know I'm kind of fanatic on this subject, and didn't mean to turn your pics into an anti-squirrel post...sorry ..:oops:

alexgirl73
27-12-2007, 12:50 AM
poor you Eileen (cant help but think the red ones are still very cute though, sorry!!)

Sunnybuns
27-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Dandysmom- no offense taken at all! Thank you all for your comments and thoughts :)

angieh
27-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Thank you, Smudgley!!! Vermin indeed; what a shame some idiot introduced the Eastern Grey squirrel to the UK!! Your reds aren't anywhere as destructive, and now they're endangered....(rant over!!)

I agree, Dandysmom! The reds are beautiful and it is such a shame that the greys were introduced here. But I have to admit that the pictures are very good - I could never get my cats even when they were young go-getters to be interested in the squirrels in our garden, guess they knew they had no chance!

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/Squirrel2.jpg

Can you see a difference in a UK grey squirrel?

dandysmom
27-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Actually, Angie I can, a bit. Ours seem to have more of a slightly brownish tinge to their fur; yours looks almost silvery grey. It may be the lighting of that shot, which is excellent by the way, as are the others. Do you have the black variety of the grey? They almost outnumber their grey relatives here; same beast and equally destructive.. :-D

Be glad your cats leave them alone, they have a nasty bite and incredibly strong jaws! Anything that can crack a black walnut with its teeth I don't want anywhere near my cats!!

angieh
27-12-2007, 07:21 PM
I think they do show quite a difference - ours certainly are more silvery, but I expect there is a seasonal variation in their coat. I was thinking more of the ears though.

Good point about their teeth!!!!

dandysmom
27-12-2007, 10:06 PM
The ears look the same. I'll try to get a pic of one of the varmints for you; they're usually all over the place but you know sod's law..won't see one for days now probably! :-D

random
27-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Awww

I like them!

*waits to be shot* :lol:

dandysmom
27-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Awww

I like them!

*waits to be shot* :lol:

Nah, not to worry, Random, I'm basically a peaceful nonconfrontational type. to each his own......:-D

Elaine
27-12-2007, 10:58 PM
OMG, look what you have started Angie:lol: I can feel Eileens tensions at the mere mention of a squirrel:lol:
I actually like them, but I wouldnt want my daughter to marry one:lol:

Sunnybuns
27-12-2007, 11:02 PM
The squirrel in my pic is from Michigan, USA. We have a lot of these red/brownish ones around here. We also have some black squirrels farther north and occasionally I see the black squirrels around here too. The Grey squirrel is definitely different in color but looks the same otherwise. The one that comes to our door, she/he is the biggest squirrel I have ever seen...she was still big when we first started feeding her about 2 years ago. I believe right now she looks bigger perhaps because it is freezing in Michigan and her fur is all puffed out to keep warm. And, probably stuffing herself with all the food we give her...:oops:

Elaine
27-12-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm sorry Angie, I was blaming you for starting this:lol: when it was infact Sunnybuns:lol: .

Donna
28-12-2007, 12:53 AM
Awwww I LOVE squirrels!!!! So cute!!!! Love all kinds too!! Was watching a squirrel in my mums garden this afternoon. Beautiful!