PDA

View Full Version : The introduction.... how thick am I?

Tinker
22-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Today was the day to introduce Rosie and Pheobe to Tinker.....

In the past I have always just let cats mix and sort themselves out. To be honest it was a long time ago and I didn't know any better. So today I thought we should do it by the book so to speak and introduce them with the kittens in a carrier.

I popped both kittens in the carrier and took them downstairs into the lounge. Said "look what we've got for you Tinker".

Rosie and Pheobe were looking around plotting what they are going to climb on and play with when the day comes to release them "those shelves look fun" "ooooh good, more toys" "wow, the sofa could be a really good trampoline" "yay, another scratching post"

Tinker, on the other hand regarded them with suspicion. She looked, from a distance, and I fed her some of her favourite fishy treats. Then she skulked off and hid :o
Surely this big soppy old cat can't be scared of a pair of kittens.......

How stupid could I possibly get? Cat carrier = trips to vets. The chances are she thinks she is off to the vets and that is why she hid. If I had a brain I would be dangerous :roll:

So the kittens are now back in their room, and I have left the carrier in the middle of the living room floor. Tinker is hiding still. When she is used to the carrier then I will bring the kittens downstairs again.

Soupie
22-12-2007, 03:10 PM
I followed the hints and tips given by my local cat rescue http://www.avoncatrescue.org/ - they have some sound advice :)

To be honest if Tinker is bothered by the carrier I wouldn't use it. I use a sheet of perspex in the doorway so cats can see each other but not attack each other and then just remove that and let them get on with it ;)

Tinker
22-12-2007, 07:33 PM
That is a good idea Soup, though Tinker rarely ventures upstairs (the kittens are living in the spare bedroom), that is part of the reason we chose that room for the kittens as it is not really part of Tinker's core territory.

Since there is no aggression on either side we have now taken different tactics and have just opened the kittens bedroom door. They have crept out, ventured down the stairs and popped their head round the living room door. They have also glanced in the kitchen and seen Tinker. Tinker is now asleep in her usual spot on the back of the sofa and the kittens have gone back upstairs and are dozing on the top stair. I'm inclined to just leave them to it until bed time.

Soupie
22-12-2007, 08:05 PM
To be honest that's all I did with the newbie after first couple of days - if he gets too close Pousse gives him a warning huff or hiss and I am sure Tinker will tell them if they are overstepping the bounds. I did the same thing and used a room which is not Pousse's "territory" to keep the littleun in :D

I still shut the young un away at night and it might be worth doing that with the kitlets for a couple of nights until Tinker is more used to them?

Tinker
22-12-2007, 08:14 PM
We intend to keep seperate sleeping quarters for them until the kittens are old enough to eat adult food. Our routine is that the cats are fed last thing at night in "their" rooms, we then hear Tinker get up onto her radiator bed where she stays until the morning and I think the kittens sleep much of the night too.

dandysmom
22-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Sound as if you have it well sorted by now...Tinker knows they're there, the kittens know she is; and I agree she'll let them know when they get too pesty! And everyone separated at night!

Tinker
22-12-2007, 10:58 PM
They have had a little bit of a tête à tête this evening, Tinker hissed and looked big. Kittens both retreated looking very small. They have now decided it is best not to venture beyond the bottom of the stairs. In fact I think they have gone back up to their room so have probably gone back to bed. Given time I am sure they will venture back down here a bit at a time and Tinker will get used to them.

ttilmo
23-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Hi
have you spread the cats scent around the house so that they can get used to each other that way first. I always d this as i remeber years ago when i first introduced my first two cats and the fight that insued and that they sadly never got on. In the end one cat moved out and found herself a new home. Ever since then i have always introduced cats slowly and carefully.

Tinker
23-12-2007, 10:08 AM
The advice on that page is pretty much what we have been doing ttilmo - but poor Tinker is scared of carriers!

dandysmom
23-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Poor Tinker! Carriers= vets=nasty experience! All of mine but Dandy the extrovert who liked going to the vet vanished as soon as it appeared!