PDA

View Full Version : Vaccintations - initial course

Tinker
20-12-2007, 02:14 PM
When we got Rosie and Pheobe they had had their first vaccination, done on 5th Dec. The lady from RSPCA told us their second should be done after 3 weeks, but that it should not be done early so since 3 weeks takes us to boxing day we should get it done within a few days after.

So I phoned the vets and booked them in for 27th Dec, but the vets receptionist said that they should be done between 15 and 21 days after their first vaccination and that 27th Dec is too late.

It is over 10 years since I had a cat starting a course of vaccinations afresh so I am not sure who to believe :roll:

Who is correct here?

I know that from an immunological point of view 22 days will be fine (the antibodies produced due to the first vaccination don't all just dissappear after 21 days), so I guess the only problem may be if they have to stay in a cattery at any point.

Fran
20-12-2007, 06:20 PM
I have my kittens vaccinated at 9 weeks and then 12 weeks. That's what our vet recommends. I'd rather wait a few days over than have the second vacc a few days early tbh...

cybeeb
20-12-2007, 10:05 PM
I too think it is better for a few days late than early. Too soon could cause problems down the road.

Tinker
20-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks Fran and Cybeeb. If it is acceptable to have a few days over then I guess it won't cause a problem should we ever need to put them in a cattery (I don't intend to as my Mum generally looks after animals if we go away, but you never know what the future will hold). I am used to the horse world where even one day late on a booster means that the whole course has to be started again. I'll leave the appointment for 22 days then :)

smudgley
21-12-2007, 01:11 AM
All the vets I know say the 2nd one should be given 21 days after the first :cool: All the rescue cats here are given an initial vaccine & then the new owner takes them for the 2nd one after 3 weeks... never had a problem

Was the receptionist getting mixed up with puppy vaccination courses? Just a thought! :?

Kay
21-12-2007, 05:05 PM
There isn't a problem having the 2nd vaccination on the 27th December. The trouble with some vets receptionists are that they think they are the vet. Stick to your appointment.