PDA

View Full Version : Jet is Poorly - Update

andrew021
19-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Just to inform when I got home from work last nite, Jet was still lying in bed looking very sorry for herself.

I took her to the Vet last nite, he examined her, took her temperature (a lot of hissing and flaying of hair) and he decided her stomach was tender so he assumed she had eaten a mouse or bird, told him I would seriously doubt that so he said it was probably hair balls that had lodged in her stomach.

He give her an injection and give me liquid paraffin to give her 1mg twice a day for the next few days, he said if that didnt help then to take her in for an x-ray of her stomach. He said the medicine should help the natural injestion of the hairballs and they should pass through in a day or so.

When she got home she went straight to bed and stayed there, this morning she was up crying to get out, let her out and when she came back in she wanted fed, give her her medicine and fed her and out she went again, take it to go to the toilet.

She is absolutely fine now, back to her usual self again but will still give her the medicine for the next few days.

Am thinking of getting Pet Insurance now as if she needed an x-ray it might have cost a lot.

Thanks for the support.

Amber
19-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Glad that Jet seems to be back to her normal self :D

I would not be without pet insurance, as working as a VN I regularly see the vets bills that clients end up with for their pets. A lot of clients tell me that they don't see the point in getting insurance for their cats, and then they get hit with a whacking bill. I've never had to claim for Amber yet, but I'm sure a day will come when I do. The sooner the animal is insured the better, as any problems previously present or ongoing will not be covered.

Mags
19-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Pleased to hear Jet feels better today Andrew..:D

Grete
19-12-2007, 02:19 PM
So glad Jet is better today :) It's worrying when they aren't their usual selves although they do usually manage to bounce right back and make us feel silly for worrying :roll:

andrew021
19-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Was reading about hairballs, it says most cats can get rid of them naturally but in some cases, the hairball can get that big and compact it needs medical attention to get rid of it.

The liquid paraffin is used to soften the cats faeces to allow the hairball to pass without causing pain.

Gonna have to regularly groom Jet now as it says regular grooming can help reduce the amount of hair injested by the cat into its system.

Moli
19-12-2007, 03:30 PM
So pleased she is on the mend...I put Katalax on my cats paws now and then, stops them getting hairballs...

angieh
19-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Katalax, Moli?

Sorry, Andrew - so glad Jet is feeling better. My Merlin has just started having Lactulose as he has bowel problems. He did have liquid paraffin previously.

Mags
19-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Katalax, Moli?

Sorry, Andrew - so glad Jet is feeling better. My Merlin has just started having Lactulose as he has bowel problems. He did have liquid paraffin previously.
Here's a link to Katalax, Angie :D

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=27

angieh
19-12-2007, 05:16 PM
Ah, thanks Mags. I like their word "administer", I hope they mean orally!

dandysmom
19-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Was reading about hairballs, it says most cats can get rid of them naturally but in some cases, the hairball can get that big and compact it needs medical attention to get rid of it.

The liquid paraffin is used to soften the cats faeces to allow the hairball to pass without causing pain.

Gonna have to regularly groom Jet now as it says regular grooming can help reduce the amount of hair injested by the cat into its system.

I wouldn't be without pet insurance; just for the peace of mind in case I need it, God forbid! Andrew, have you thought of getting a FURminator, a cat grooming tool? Many of the members have one and you would not believe the amount of loose fur it removes! Well worth the investment, IMO.
Glad to hear Jet is more like herself today!

Edited to add a long post about the FURminator and our members experience with it.....think you might find it helpful...

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=22846&highlight=FURminator

Kay
21-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Glad Jet is back to normal. When I sell my kittens they all go with 6 weeks free insurance with Pet Plan and most of my new owners have renewed the policy after this time. I have known people who have had to claim on it and have never had a problem with them. If you want their number please pm me.

babycakes
21-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Glad Jet is feeling better