PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow I pick up my new "kitten"

Soupie
15-12-2007, 06:13 PM
who is nearly 9 months old now! Am so excited - I have bought a really lovely red smoke longhaired Selkirk to be a playmate for Quando more his own age and to go out showing as well :D

I'll post some piccies tomorrow of him - he is a huuuuuuuge cat already and think possibly already bigger than Q!

Soupie x

Tinker
15-12-2007, 06:32 PM
All these new kittens! It is so exciting!

Fran
15-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Gosh you'll have more cats than me soon!!! :shock: :-D Do you think Pousse will cope well with another youngster?...... just read your other thread :?

Don't forget piccies of the new arrival! ;)

Soupie
15-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Yes I do Pousse is a completely different cat now from when I got her and adores Quando apart from the playing - she won't tolerate it and biffs him! I'm hoping having a playmate will stop Q pestering her so much and to be honest as long as she has the sofa she is fine during the day ;) In any event if him coming doesn't work and is a problem for her then I would have to consider him going back to his breeder.

I had the same rule when Quando came and for a couple of weeks she was out of sorts but now they are very cuddly together.

I've talked to the vet today and she think's its nothing to be concerned about at the moment and just carry on as normal but she'll check Pousse over next weekend anyway when we are there - love my vet she is a star! always on the end of the phone.

Last night we had no yowls at all ..... It would be so just after I had got worried about it ;)

Mags
15-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Looking forward to seeing pics of your new arrival! :D

Jac
15-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Congratulations on your new kitty. I hope it works out as you hope.:D

Kazz
15-12-2007, 07:05 PM
So the new "baby" has arrived then. Hope all goes well for you.
Sounds like a good idea getting another similar age to Q to offset the playtime woes of Pousse.
Karen

random
15-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Congratulations! Hope all goes well!

dandysmom
15-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Sounds like a good plan; the younguns can play and romp together and Pousse can enjoy some peace and quiet! Glad the yowling has stopped; isn't it always like that? Looking forward to pics......

borderdawn
15-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Gosh you'll have more cats than me soon!!! :shock: :-D Do you think Pousse will cope well with another youngster?...... just read your other thread :?

Don't forget piccies of the new arrival! ;)
I thought the same but didnt want to comment. Living in a flat with many Cats and no access to the outside for youngsters etc.. will test the best tempered of Cats, Pousse is old, maybe she needs the quiet life now?

Soupie
15-12-2007, 11:05 PM
You are of course all entitled to your opinions. This is not something I have rushed into nor taken the decision lightly and have discussed it with my vet, the new kitten's breeder and other knowledgeable breeders and cat people etc. The "kitten" has been chosen because of his temprament and general laidback attitude to life and the fact he is NOT a small kitten - Selkirk's by nature are not confrontational cats.

As I have already said if it doesn't work then it doesn't and Pousse's welfare comes first. I think Quando having a playmate will actually work in her favour and give her more space. Whether you agree with what I am doing or not I only want the best for my cats and am sensible enough to take the steps to correct the situation if it turns out I have made a mistake.

BTW this was meant to be a happy post - if people don't agree with the way I keep my cats perhaps they could PM me rather than spoil this?

borderdawn
15-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Nobody's spoiling anything, people are just concerned about what they read, Fran noticed what I did, she commented first, then I did, I expect we were not the only ones though. You say in one post that Pousse is displaying worrying symptoms, perhaps her age? perhaps not, then you want to bring in another Cat, people just read and comment.

If one of my Cats were acting this way, another Cat would be the last thing on my mind, Id want their problems and health sorted before I contemplated it, but thats me. :)

I hope all your Cats get on well, and Pousse gets better soon.

Soupie
15-12-2007, 11:38 PM
BD thank you for your concern - I have updated that thread having spoken to my vet today. She is not concerned and knows my cats and my family circumstances well - she would be the first to say something.

Pousse's welfare is important to me despite what you may think and I have worked hard to turn her into the cat she is now. If I thought for one moment another cat would cause problems then I would not be getting one.

borderdawn
15-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Despite what I may think? I think anyone that takes on an older rescue cat should be commended.

Soupie
15-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Despite what I may think? I think anyone that takes on an older rescue cat should be commended.

"You" collective not you personally! ;)

I'm sorry if I may seem oversensitive but I would walk over broken glass for Pousse and other people on here before seem to have rehomed young cats with older cats and not had concerns directed at them and I guess I just reacted overmuch and took it overpersonally.

I apologise if I seemed defensive but please believe me when I say I have really gone through this with a fine tooth comb including a planned move to a house as soon as my leg is fully better which should be soon!

borderdawn
16-12-2007, 12:12 AM
No, youre right, I myself have 3 old Cats, 2 of 15 and one of 19, and I have taken on 3 kittens in 2 yrs. I was commenting as I felt you had problems with one Cat, but was bringing in another, me personally saw this as odd, as I said, I would of sorted out the other Cats problems first, but like I said thats me.

I have no doubt you think the world of your Cats. I dont think you overeacted either, Id of done the same.

Kay
21-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Hope to see pics soon. Good luck with showing the new baby and hopefully all intruductions will go well.