PDA

View Full Version : Please Help

lululeo
13-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Please help me and my fiancée our kitten has gone from being very bouncy to looking like an 18yr old cat.

My six month old kitten went downhill very fast a week and a half ago, the first stages were that he became very spaced out and started to go of his food (although he still eats, he used to gobble it down in seconds), we took him to the vet who noticed he was running a temp 40.2, He was immediately kept in the vets on a drip with antibiotics and for further testing.

He had every test possibly available and all came back negative. He then developed a small amount of fluid on the abdomen, which the vet told us could be FIP, he has spent the week in isolation and is still no better and his temp is constantly at 40.C, however the different tests the vet has done for FIP including Globulin and others have come back from the lab showing a 98% chance the cat does NOT have, or has EVER come into contact with FIP.

So with these results the vet (who has consulted a few others) has no idea whats wrong, apparently he is a healthy cat. So the Vet is resorting to his last hopes of carrying out exploratory surgery, which is due to take place tomorrow.

The reason I'm asking for help is as a last resort before my cat is cut open to be looked at, although the cat is drinking and eating in little bits, the poor boy is still looking so tired and washed out and his constant temperature of around the 40.C is very worrying, you can tell that he is not very well at all.

So please, please any advice or possibilities would be so much help in this time of need.

Regards

yola
13-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Oh dear - I don't really know what to say. If exhaustive tests have been done and the vets are still at a loss maybe surgery is the best option as it might be something physical, like an internal blockage rather than something medical.

We do have folks here that know quite a lot about various symptoms - hopefully they'll be along in a bit and will respond. Lots of good luck with your kitten, you must both be so worried.

Mags
13-12-2007, 01:18 PM
I agree with Yola, if your kitten has had all possible tests, surgery may show a blockage ......., he may even have swallowed something like a rubber band or similar and it has got caught somewhere :?

It must be so worrying for you, sending lots of healing vibes to your kitten........

Please do came back and let us know how he is and if they found anything..... good luck.

Grete
14-12-2007, 10:01 AM
I can't add anything but hoping they find what is causing the problem and your kitty is on the mend soon!

Megsy
14-12-2007, 11:30 AM
You must be so worried. I think surgery must be the only option left. There has to be something causing him to be sick. Good luck to you and your kitty.

Kim
14-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Ho wworrying for you. I have no ideas I'm afraid, but hope you have some answers soon.

angieh
14-12-2007, 05:44 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your poor kitty. Terribly worrying for you both. No advice to give I'm afraid. But all Catsey members who have read your post will be hoping for the best, if that's any comfort at all. May Gaia look after her.

JBalways2000
15-12-2007, 02:09 PM
oh im sorry to hear your kitten isnt well, what a worrying time for you both. is there anymore news? i do hope all went well for him.

lululeo
17-12-2007, 10:27 AM
An emotional update for everyone, and thanx to all who gave there best wishes.....

I took friday off work as it was my fiancee's birthday and the cat was having the op, so there was no chance I could be sat at a desk thinking about it.

Anyway poor Leo took a turn for the worse on Thursday night and friday morning constantly producing mucus from the rear and not moving much.

Surgery revealed he had a very inflamed stomach wall and abdomen full of fluid the same mucus, however that was pretty much all that could be revealed. It would seem that whatever the viral infection was it had the same characteristics as WET FIP.

After much thinking me and the fiancee was advised to put Leo to sleep, although I was sceptical Leo had been very bad for 3 weeks now and was not getting better. He had taken a turn for the worse and he was and would never be the same kitten again.

Leo was a rescued cat and it would seem he had picked up the virus when he was found roaming, if only I could spend 10 minutes with the previous owner who chucked him out, I could explain the pain that was caused to Leo and two loving and caring owners.

I'm sorry this had to end on a sad note, but many thanks to all who replied............

R.I.P Leo (little man) who was put to sleep at 14.57 on friday 14/12/07, although briefly with us he changed and touched our lives forever.:cry:

yola
17-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Oh, I'm so very sorry. Under the circumstances I think you did the only thing you could for poor Leo. Not an easy decision to make by any means. How awful for your fiancee, she'll have bittersweet birthdays from now on :( Hugs to you both.

kado
17-12-2007, 11:19 AM
So sorry for your loss. I think like Yola you did the best thing for your Leo.
Run free at the bridge little one

kado

Moli
17-12-2007, 11:57 AM
So sorry for your loss.....You gave him love, although in a short time, so he knew what it was to be cared for...
Run free little man.....xx

angieh
17-12-2007, 01:56 PM
So sorry for Leo and you both. You certainly tried everything you could and you've done the right thing. *Hugs*

Mags
17-12-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss, dear Leo was tired and had no fight left in him . You and your fiancee gave him the kindest gift you could (ironically on your fiancee's birthday), you gave him the gift of freedom and release from all pain. ((((Hugs)))) to you both..

Run free and chase the butterflies at the Bridge little man .... xx

babycakes
17-12-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your bad news. RIP little fella and big hugs to you all

dandysmom
17-12-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm so sorry it had to end that way; poor wee boy. But you gave him the last gift you could, and he's out of pain now. It's never easy, is it? (((hugs)))

MrsH
17-12-2007, 05:26 PM
So sorry to hear Leo didn't make it. It's a tremendously painful decision to have to make, you did the only thing you could and released him from his pain. RIP Leo.

John
17-12-2007, 05:35 PM
so sorry..my thoughts are with you both ...RIP Leo..

Grete
17-12-2007, 06:48 PM
So sorry to read about Leo :( You did everything you could and in the time he was with you, he knew love, kindness, warmth and a full tummy. You couldn't ask for more, even tho it was short.

My thoughts are with you *hugs*

Run free at the bridge Leo, our precious babies are waiting to welcome you :)

Kay
21-12-2007, 04:34 PM
so sorry to hear of your loss but you did everything you could for him. He is now free from anymore pain. {{{Hugs}}} to you both.

RIP Leo. Play hard at the bridge.