PDA

View Full Version : cat drags bottom on floor

Bella's Mum
11-12-2007, 01:55 PM
My cat sometimes drags her bottom along the floor. She has also licked the lower half of her tummy area so that the furr is disappearing. Anybody got an idea about this please?

Mags
11-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Do you know if she had been wormed and treated for fleas before you got her? That would be the first thing I'd think of....

Bella's Mum
11-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Well I thought of worms and have used Drontal and just about to order some more to give her a dose. The vet says she is stressed but I can't understand why stress would make her do that. Also can't see why she would be stressed either.

yola
11-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Some cats are just nervous by nature. Try getting a tonic called Bachs Rescue Remedy and add it to her water. It's a kind of natural 'chill out' herbal thing. There is also something called a Felliway plug in which takes a little longer to work but will give off destressing vapours.

Finally - I guess the vet has checked her out 'down under' . . . she's not suffering from cystitis or similar is she?

Moli
11-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Cats can become stress for no apperant reason, I haveone who just has to hear the door bell and he freaks out....Hope you can sort her problem out soon..

Bella's Mum
11-12-2007, 03:43 PM
I might try the Bachs remedy actually. Mind you, knowing Bella she will turn her little pink nose up at it. I tried giving her some of the cats version of cod liver oil capsules which went down OK at first then it became a heck of a struggle so I gave in - she wouldn't touch anything that smelt fishy for ages after that, little minx!!!

MrsH
11-12-2007, 05:54 PM
If she's scooting her bottom along the floor maybe her anal glands need emptying?

Fran
11-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Ok it sounds like one of two things, either worms, so if you haven't treated her recently get a good quality wormer from your vet or anal gland trouble which would require your vet to examine her and sort the problem. I'd try worming her first. Good luck and do let us know how you get on...

Elaine
11-12-2007, 08:50 PM
I was gonna say that since you have treated her for worms, I'd be inclined to have her anal glands checked.
As for the stress and rescue remedy, try putting a drop or two on your fingers and rub it into the tips of her ears.

dandysmom
11-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Worming was what I first thought of; also the anal glands being checked is a good idea. The Feliway plug-in takes a while to work, but it does emit stress reducing pheromones; plus it's not something you have to administer! I feel for you there, my Leia is impossible to pill!

Kim
11-12-2007, 10:38 PM
This sounds like a classic case of anal glands that need emptying. Thought it was more common in dogs though.

dandysmom
11-12-2007, 10:41 PM
I thought it was usually a male cat problem.....??

Grete
12-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Whenever my cats have scooted it was cos they had been eating grass and had a cling-on after a litter tray visit ;)

I would get it checked out tho, female cats have scent glands in their rears as well I believe and any gland can get blocked. She might be doing it to scent-mark if she is stressed or as has been suggested, worms or fleas :(

Is she spayed?

sammy
12-12-2007, 12:50 AM
As Yola has mentioned - she doesn't have cystitus does she? My Bubble does this when she has it............is she often going to go to urinate and not passing much?

Amber
12-12-2007, 07:32 PM
I too would advise to get her anal glands checked. If the anal glands are full, they become very uncomfortable. The cat will drag it's bottom along the carpet to try to relieve the discomfort, and will also lick or bite around that area which can often be mistaken for thinking the cat has fleas.

truthisouthere
18-01-2008, 04:02 PM
My Maine Coon (passed away now @19) went thru a phase of overgrooming. Vet said it was stress. I was going thru a v. stressful time at the time myself. As soon as things sorted themselves out in my life and the stress subsided my cat just got better over time. I'm sure they pick up on our energy! There is a good book by V. Halls called The Cat Detective. It has info re cats and the various forms that stess can take. I have consulted it for my multi cat household and found it helpful (and v.funny at times!). Has your cat had an 'organ' blood test, just to rule out any pain she may be having inside that might prompt her to keep licking? Aside from everyone else's helpful input I can't think of what else it could be. I hope she gets better soon, bless her.

babycakes
18-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Denis started doing it when we put a carpet down (having had wooden flooring or tiles) I thought he just wanted to itch his bum cos it felt nice and how else does he do it??? Doesn't do it often though