PDA

View Full Version : Picking up my first kitten on Wednesday!

Whiley
10-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Hey all,
I'm so sorry i haven't been around much, but now i'm back and not going anywhere, because i'm picking up my kitten on Saturday!

Is that not the blinking fantastic! :D I thought i'd have to wait many moons, but after serious discussions with my partner we or rather he came to the decision that we'd take on this chappie.

Basically, my friend works as a job coach for people with disabilities in the south west for the company Pluss. Through this, she was offered a kitten from a disabled lady. Basically, she was thoroughly looking forward to having cats and always had been, and she homed 2 little male pedigree snowshoes! However, as of a few months into her ownership, she found she couldn't handle the work load with her condition and the breeder has allowed her to rehome them herself. She wanted to home them to or at least through people she knew and trusted, so offered them to Gemma, my friend, who knowing i had my heart set on a cat, let my partner know. The other kitten has already been homed, and unfortunately, that new owner was apparently less than understanding, and through as many horror stories as you can think of, was put to sleep a week into them owning him :( This has torn this disabled lady apart, and made her absolutely insistent that the remaining kitten goes to a person who has a lot of background with animals and their care and welfare.

I'm so relieved, but i do want to check things with you.

Firstly, what would you suggest i do on his first night here? Confine him to one room with me? He will be an indoor cat and has already started life as an indoor cat. I have the next week free to spend all the hours of the day with him too.

Secondly, should i keep him on the food he has been on with previous owner, or change now and start as i mean to go on? At 5 months what would you suggest is a good brand to order, wet or dry, and how much per day?

He is being neutered on Wednesday, will he be completely healed and okay by this time? Previous owner seems to think so, but should i expect anything or be aware of any behaviour or health issues? Hes completely jabbed up to date, etc also. And will have his papers at the time of handover.

Any general practice i should bare in mind for introducing him to the house and also to Shelby?

Many thanks!

alexgirl73
10-12-2007, 06:58 PM
First of all, woo hoo!!!! lol! Congrats on talking your OH round. So utterly sad about the other little kitten, some people beggar belief.

Now for your questions. I would confine him to the one room for at least 24 hours, somewhere warm where he will feel safe. Make sure you have the litter tray all set up before he goes in. As for food, continue with what he has been fed on for the time being, after a few weeks and when he is settled, if you want to change his food then do it slowly over 5 days or so. he should be absolutely fine by saturday after his neutering. And as for introducing him to the house, just go with what feels right to you and let him come to you rahter than you picking him up all the time. Best of luck, and we want piccies lol, lots of them (cant believe you're getting a snowshoe too, lucky thing)

Whiley
10-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Thank you so much!! I'm so happy :D :D

Don't worry, the camera wont leave my hands :D

MrsH
10-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Great news, I hope the time flies by until he's home with you.

Mags
10-12-2007, 07:07 PM
How lovely for you to have your own kitten at last! :D Not long to go now!:D

Have you decided on a name for him yet?

Whiley
10-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Well he has a pedigree name and a call name but i gather that both are quite 'prissy'. :P

I like the name Theo, but we'll see what name he fits into when he arrives :D

Jac
10-12-2007, 07:24 PM
That's really exiting for you. Congratulations. Can't add to what Alex has said.
You lucky thing!!!!!!!!!!:D

Whiley
10-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Wow i'm an idiot!

You know why? Because i'm picking him up on Saturday, not Wednesday! I could have sworn i put Saturday in the topic title but nevermind!

alexgirl73
10-12-2007, 10:22 PM
lol! It's the excitement Whiley!!

sarahd
11-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Congratulations on your new kitten, cant wait to see the photo's of him. I'm sure he is going to be one spoilt furrbaby

sarah
x

Grete
11-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Congratulations Whiley! I'm so excited for you and can't wait to see pics :)

How sad about the other kitten, I can't imagine what led to that conclusion :(

Whiley
11-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Its so sad isnt it, I'll ask more about it when i collect him.

For some unknown reason my oestrogen barrier crumbled and ridiculously, i allowed Darren to name him.
After i had very firmly insisted that 'Optimus Prime' nor 'Barry' were suitable names, we settled on Leon, which is Darrens favourite film, with Jean Reno. Thought it was kinda cute! :D

Grete
12-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Its so sad isnt it, I'll ask more about it when i collect him.

For some unknown reason my oestrogen barrier crumbled and ridiculously, i allowed Darren to name him.
After i had very firmly insisted that 'Optimus Prime' nor 'Barry' were suitable names, we settled on Leon, which is Darrens favourite film, with Jean Reno. Thought it was kinda cute! :D

PMSL Optimus Prime?? You should agree to that then make him stand in the garden later on shouting it to come in ;)

Whiley
12-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Have to say, that was highly tempting! :D

We've picked up some goodies for him, a cute little blue collar with diddy smooth brass studs, a double bowl thingy, litter tray and some toys, but i'll be making some more toys tonight i think!

Also going to pick up a cover for the sofa, and other bits today, but still not aware of what food or litter hes on so that'll be a swing by a pet shop on the return journey from picking him up me thinks!

I already have several carriers for the ratties! :D

Jac
12-12-2007, 10:31 AM
It's very exiting!!!!

When I had caspurr booked I bought a scratch poll at a show, only had about another 7 weeks to wait:roll: . The things we do.
Optimus Prime sounds good to me providing your OH takes him to all his vets appointments and shouts on him to come in:lol: .

Leon is a cute name. Cant wait to see him AND it's one day closer to Saturday:-D

Tinker
12-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Not long to go!
I hope Leon provides you with hours of entertainment and cuddles.

Whiley
12-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Oh good grief. Was *this* close to buying a little elf costume.

No seriously, it was painful to just walk past.

SO flashing singing collar here i come :D

Whiley
14-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Ah! He comes tomorrow! I'm so excited! :D :D

Mags
14-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Ah! He comes tomorrow! I'm so excited! :D :D
So are we for you :D ........ get those pics on as soon as possible! ;)

Whiley
14-12-2007, 02:58 PM
Awwr the camera wont leave me at all!

I've just been told that we've been invited to a party tomorrow night :( That means no one will be with him, but unfortunately we do have to make an appearance. It will likely be no more than a few hours though that he'll be alone.

What do you suggest we do in this situation? I'm incredibly tempted to stay and 'pull a sickie' as it were, but if it turns out that i am needed, what should we do?

We could keep him in a room alone to snuggle up, but might that worry him? I dont want to keep him in a carrier for those few hours, but i do have a few spare large cages from my ratties that will give him more turning room.

I doubt i will go, but i want to be prepared. I just know this particular person will hold it against me for a jolly long time if i dont turn up. :(

Grete
14-12-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't think it's a problem leaving him for a couple of hours - it might actually be good - he can explore on his own time without having to worry about a strange human ;)

Tinker
14-12-2007, 06:44 PM
A few hours alone won't hurt him - he'll have more time alone at night. I would keep him shut in one room. He may well just hide anyway. Rosie and Pheobe hid for a couple of days but that is probably because they had not been handled much or had much contact with people. We still have them shut in one room and intend to keep them there until they are easy to pick up and handle.

Whiley
14-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Good to know, thanks guys! Becoming more and more hysterical as the hours tick on. Just bought him a load more goodies while ordering my rat stuff and getting truely excited!

Grete
15-12-2007, 09:14 AM
It's Caturday!!! Good luck Whiley, I am so excited for you!!!

Whiley
15-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Thank you Grete!!
I'm just eagerly awaiting my friends call, as soon as i hear from her i know its time to get my shoes on and jump in the car :D
I thought i would have heard from her by now, but nevermind, its given me time to go aorund and triple check kitten proofing and put down his bowls, etc. Shelby is very interested! :D

I'm so hysterically excited!!!

Whiley
15-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Change of plans, ladies. :( Its not yet Caturday.

We had been wondering why we hadn't been called during the week with updates about him and stuff, and only found out today that his nads-off op has been postponed to this coming Saturday. Doesn't seem to be a particularly negative reason why, but it does look like i'll be picking him up next weekend instead. :( I really wanted him to be here and settled properly in time for christmas, but nevermind. Such is life.

The alternative is that we collect him anyway, and i organise the neuter myself. We've got a new vet and i'm iffy with her still [my old vet ran off to Australia without telling me. How very DARE he?!] so i'd feel more comfortable going to the cats protection league and donating to them to do it, so hes in catty hands as it were.

Argh i don't know. :(

What will be will be i suppose.

Grete
16-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Awww I'm sorry Whiley :( I think you are right tho, they will be well used to the vets they use and getting him home only to have him go through trauma of having his pockets emptied could be a negative experience for both of you.

Soooo 6 more sleeps to go ;)

*hugs* I know how disappointed you must be, it will happen :)

dandysmom
16-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Awww, that is disappointing, but agree with Grete that it's probably the best thing. Caturday will be here before you know it....

Whiley
16-12-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm being a very patient bunny, thanks ladies!

Whiley
19-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Just a quick update, we've bought even more goodies for him! Including his harness! Christmas is going to be amazing! :D especially in his new christmas bandana :P

Mags
19-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Can't wait to see a pic of him .......he is one spoilt kitty before you've even got him!! :-D

Whiley
19-12-2007, 04:07 PM
I know :D And i've requested cat stuff from all my family for Christmas! I can't wait! I adore Shelby of course, but theres nothing like an active playful kitten of my own to babycoo over!

I've pinpointed several radiator beds, toys, scratchy trees, you name it, for my family and friends to pick out. I'm sort of treating it like one of those wedding gift list thingys!
Bless my baby!

Grete
20-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Not long to go now Whiley :) I will be away this saturday so GOOD LUCK in advance :)

Whiley
20-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Ee thank you Grete! I'm so excited!

Whiley
21-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Caturday tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!

Jac
21-12-2007, 03:25 PM
One more sleep:-D

babycakes
21-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Can't wait to see your new bag of cuddles. Don't forget lots of pics please X

Kay
21-12-2007, 04:12 PM
I bet you are sooooo excited now. Can't wait for lots of pics.

Whiley
22-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Its Caturday!!!

My friends going to call me with updates as to when we're leaving. She hadn't called the lady we're collecting chap from in the week because i've been a bit poorly and she assumed i wouldn't want to pick him up feeling grotty.

So i promptly told her that hell nor highwater was going to keep me from him.

Hopefully she'll get through to the lady again today, and we'll go collect him.

But lady might be busy, and i'm quite scared that she might have rehomed him in the mean time or something as my friend isn't the greatest with communication and probably wouldn't ahve updated her after last weekend.

Pray for me! My partner has already said we could get another kitten else where if it turns out hes already gone to a new home, but i'm already in love with this kitten despite me not having met him yet.

Hoping someone will come online and reply for me some quick questions - when i go to pick him up, whats a good idea to take? Obviously carrier, should i put a blanky in the carrier with him? Any treats to win him over and confirm that i'm mummy?

WHat would you suggest?

Whiley
22-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Quoting what i said in previous post, it happened. Because my friend hadn't called her, she'd rehomed him already.

I am heart broken.

I know it sounds selfish and impatient, but i am so lonely at Christmas at my mothers, as their attitude this season is very unlike mine, that i was hoping to have him with me by Christmas to enjoy at least some element of it!

What will be will be i guess.

A friend of mine locally says they're neighbour has had kittens, not purposefully as i understand, and is keen to get them to loving, animally orrientated homes soon. I'm tempted to give her a ring.

Mags
22-12-2007, 12:08 PM
So sorry to hear your kitten has been rehomed to someone else, you must be so disappointed..:(

Maybe it just wasn't to be and there is another kitten waiting for you somewhere..... I suggest if your friend hears of another one, that she gives you the owner's phone number so you can keep in contact and know what's going on..:)

Good luck kitty hunting!

Tinker
22-12-2007, 02:32 PM
I am so sorry. I am sure there will be a kitten out there for you soon.

Jac
22-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Whiley......I'm gutted for you. I'm so sorry.

dandysmom
22-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Oh what a disappointment; I'm so sorry it worked out this way! Such a letdown after all the joyous anticipation. Chin up, there is a kitten out there waiting for you.......