PDA

View Full Version : Picked up our new kittens today

Tinker
10-12-2007, 04:30 PM
We picked up our new kittens, Rosie and Pheobe, from RSPCA today :D

They are currently in hiding. I think I will have to ignore them into submission! It has been a very traumatic day for them really as they have been taken away from their Mum, driven for an hour to a strange place and released in a strange room. I doubt they have ever been in a house before. They were being fostered in boarding kennels, where the staff have handled them a bit, but not as much as they would get in a normal household situation. I am sure given time they will be friendly, they are so cute :smt049

It gives me an excellent excuse to just sit and read a book for a while so that they can get used to me just being there. It is rare for me to have time to sit and read!

No pics from today as they are so timid, but I posted some a couple of weeks ago when I visited them last http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=24987

They won't meet their Auntie Tinker until they are more confident in their surroundings, so her favourite spot on the back of the sofa is still safe for now

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f174/Belle3/Tinker.jpg

Fran
10-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Ah big congratulations!! I am sure it won't be long before they have found their feet and are tearing round the house like they have always been there :-D Lovely piccie of Tinker :-)

Jac
10-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Congratulations!!! As Fran said it wont take long and then.............................................. .....tearaways:lol: . I'll look forward to seeing pics when there more settled, if they stay sill long enough:shock: :lol:

yola
10-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Tinker had better enjoy her peace and quiet whilst she can - when the kittens find there feet she'll be looking for her own space in vain!!

Congrats on the kittens; look forward to more pics when they are settled. :D

dandysmom
10-12-2007, 05:31 PM
What a great pic of the lovely Tinker! Kittens are adaptable, they'll be out exploring and getting into everything before you realize it! Looking forward to the pics; and the story of their first meeting with the alpha cat!!

Moli
10-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Congratulations on your new arrivals, they are so cute....will not take them long to come out of themselves...

Mags
10-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Congratulations! :D looking forward to pics of the two newcomers when they have settled more..:D

That's a lovely pic of Tinker....doesn't she show up well against the blue.. :D

alexgirl73
10-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Congrats on the new furbabies. Can't wait to see the pics.

MrsH
10-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Congratulations! those kittens will soon settle in and will be doing "the wall of death" around your living room before you know it!

sarahd
11-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Hope its not too long before those babies are tearing around and causing havoc for you ;)

Sarah
x

Grete
11-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Fantastic news! Can't wait to see pics of them and hear how they have gotten on with meeting Tinker ;)

Gorgeous photo of her too ;)

Jac
11-12-2007, 09:28 AM
How did your first night go?

Tinker
11-12-2007, 09:49 AM
They are still in hiding! I am a bit concerned that nobody has used the litter tray, so I have moved one tray closer to their hiding place (I got them 2 trays), there are no accidents anywhere though. Fished them out this morning for a cuddle :oops:

They have eaten a pouch of food and some dried food overnight. I am not sure if they have drunk their water or just played in it :roll: I am glad I put it on a mat! They were also playing with their ball and mouse overnight.

I ate my breakfast in their room and Rosie crept out of her hiding place to put her head round the corner and stare at me for a short while.

My husband is under strict instructions not to try and handle them if they venture out of their hiding place while we are in there.

I've left them for a while with another pouch of food, should probably leave them for an hour or so in case they daren't come out of hiding to go to the loo while I am in there!

Tinker must know they are in there, but is not at all bothered. I have got Rosie and Pheobe in the spare bedroom at the moment and Tinker doesn't tend to go upstairs much anyway. I don't intend to introduce them until Rosie and Pheobe are tame and confident.

Jac
11-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Give them a couple of day's and they will be fine.

I know what you mean by fishing them out for a cuddle. You just cant resist can you?:lol: When I got Abi she hid for a couple of days under the sofa. I fished her out a couple of times:lol: .

They'll use the litter tray when they need. I'm sure of it and if there eating then there isn't much wrong. They are just strange at the moment. New smells ect. They'll be fine.

babycakes
11-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Hope they settle in really well and I hope that we see some pics of them when they are ready X

Tinker
11-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Managed to get a couple of pics - not great as they are still hiding (though I did go fishing and lure Rosie out on the end of a piece of string!).

Rosie:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2002/2103986404_06acd55259.jpg

Pheobe:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2111/2103207165_e586d8a5fb.jpg

borderdawn
11-12-2007, 07:33 PM
BEAUTIFUL absolutely lovely!

Kazz
11-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Dawn do you know I was thinking that, an absolutely smashing pair. Angels!

Mags
11-12-2007, 08:08 PM
They are two little stunners! :D

random
11-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Congratulations on your beautiful little kittens!

dandysmom
11-12-2007, 08:57 PM
What sweet looking little beauties! Glad Tinker isn't upset.

Elaine
11-12-2007, 09:07 PM
They are just gorgeous xxx

Jac
11-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Awww what wee cutie pies!!! There lovely:D

alexgirl73
11-12-2007, 10:53 PM
They are just so adorable!!! And dont worry about the litter tray thing, Cooper my B&W didn't go the loo for 36 hours after I brought him home!!

Grete
12-12-2007, 12:28 AM
They are soooo pretty!!!

sammy
12-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Just to add to the reassurance - Purdie, despite being a confident little thing, didn't do much in her tray for 48 hours! :shock:

They are gorgeous!

Tinker
12-12-2007, 08:56 AM
They are getting bolder - they crept out of hiding at breakfast time today to watch me put their food out.
I've been fishing for kittens with a green mouse on the end of a string, however Mum must have told them that green mice are ones which have gone off, and I had more success fishing with the string end. Managed to lure both out into the open with a string :D

I have howver found where they have been going to the toilet........

We gave them 2 uncovered litter trays filled with the same litter they had in the kennels as they had uncovered trays there. They have dug holes in the trays but done nothing.
They have a fleece blanket in a cardboard box, with a little door cut out of it which I thought they may like to sleep in - but they have been using this as a toilet. So I put the blanket in the wash. OH wanted to throw the box away and just put a litter tray there, but I wondered if the smell of the box and the fact it is a hiding place might help to encourage them, so I have moved one of their litter trays into the box. I hope this does the trick as the method of litter training I used last time I had an untrained one (over 20 years ago) was to pop the kitten on the tray a while after a meal, so that relies on them being better handled.

Tinker
12-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Latest report from OH is that Rosie went in the litter tray in the box :smt023
Pheobe followed her in there and obviously decided she might as well go to the toilet too :smt023

OH wants to replace the box with a covered tray, get rid of the box and shampoo the carpet now - but I have persuaded him to just put a bin bag down to protect the carpet from the slightly soggy box, and to leave it as it is until their behaviour is established.

kado
12-12-2007, 02:13 PM
There so cute your making me jealous me want one.

yola
12-12-2007, 03:01 PM
They are just beautiful :smt007 I love their markings, and that little pink nose is just too adorable :D

Good idea about the litter tray in the box - looks to be working too :-D

dandysmom
12-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Glad your solution worked and they're using the litter in the box! They are adorable!

Tinker
15-12-2007, 09:35 PM
They are getting much more friendly now, and have had no further litter tray problems *touches wood frantically*

They no longer hide when we come into their room, and if they are alseep merely open their eyes rather than getting up. Both are now very playfull and have a great time chasing each other around and climbing anythig and everything.

We are starting to pick them up and stroke/cuddle them. Despite being the most timid to begin with, Pheobe is the one who likes cuddles most and she has a very loud purr. Rosie is not quie so sure, and tends to wriggle a lot. She hasn't purred at all yet.

We haven't introduced them to Tinker yet, so they are still in their bedroom. I want to make sure both are easy to catch and handle first. They have lots of room though compared to th pen they had in the kennels and are having a great time chasing each other around at warp speed! They are going to have so much fun when they discover the stairs!!

dandysmom
15-12-2007, 09:49 PM
The stairs and the whole house! That's going to be so much fun watching them explore everything. It's been a long time since I've had a kitten, you forget how lovely it is to watch them grow up! Cuddles to them both from across the Pond!

Kazz
15-12-2007, 10:09 PM
They are totaly totaly gorgeous.....they and you are lucky to have found one another......I can see many happy years together.
I am becoming a sucker for Torties...:)
Karen

Soupie
15-12-2007, 11:17 PM
They are lovely and you have some fabby piccies of them :D I hope all goes well when they meet Tinker :)

Kay
21-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Congratulations on your new furbabies. They are absolutely gorgeous. I adore torties no two are the same. They seem to have settled very well. Good luck with introducing them to Tinker.

babycakes
21-12-2007, 03:33 PM
They are fantasticly stunning. And you are working so hard at making them settle in X

dandysmom
21-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Have they met Tinker yet?

Tinker
21-12-2007, 10:35 PM
We are aiming to introduce them tomorrow now they are getting tamer! They are not always easy to catch yet but both are now hapy to be handled and both now purr when stroked.

dandysmom
21-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Hope all goes smoothly tomorrow. Tinker's had a chance to check their scent on you, and she knows they're there; and kittens aren't as intimidating as another adult cat would be .....