PDA

View Full Version : ouch...

Tink
08-12-2007, 05:26 AM
so i've been in a lot of physical pain lately...started off with migraines three weeks ago...then my teeth started hurting on the right lower jaw..then my jaw...then it extended to the right ear. a few days ago something felt strange and i put a qtip in my ear to find blood and puss. it seems scabby and dry in my ear now. i called today to make a doctor's appointment (i really hate going which is why i waited so long). they had an appt. available monday morning but wanted me to speak to the triage nurse. she fears i may have an infection and that it could spread to my bone in my jaw and so forth and urged me to go to urgent care. two of the three places she suggested did not take my insurance though she assured me they did..the last one was closing till tomorrow...i have lost my appetite and have been sleeping A LOT..i don't think i have a fever so maybe it's just something silly..either way, i'll be first in line tomorrow morning...no over the counter pain killers help. i took a shot of whiskey which didn't even help..(half a shot usually gets me pretty looped). i am in so much pain.
ow.

yola
08-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Tink - you really should maybe go to the accident and emergency at your local hospital. That sounds very nasty.

Look after yourself, please!

MrsH
08-12-2007, 12:21 PM
That sounds really painful, is there no way you can get some emergency treatment?

I once ignored ear-ache as it was the weekend and just dosed myself on painkillers but the infection built up and burst through the ear-drum before I saw a doctor. I won't that mistake again. Please try to get seen somewhere!

Mags
08-12-2007, 12:28 PM
I agree with Yola and MrsH, you should try to get some emergency help from somewhere Tink... it does sound like you have a bad infection in your ear which should be treated as soon as possible...:?

Don't leave, you need the treatment sooner than later.... :(

Take care of yourself Tink ((((hugs))))

Jac
08-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Hi Tink.
Like Mrs H I left a sore ear over the weekend and burst my eardrum. Very painful.

It sounds like you need urgent treatment. Go to your local A@E if you cant get an appointment.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Tink
08-12-2007, 05:24 PM
hey guys, thanks for your concern. i am leaving now for the urgent care center that is open on saturdays that takes my insurance (the only one in the county)...they open in half an hour so hopefully it's not too crowded since it's first come, first serve...hope i don't get lost on the way, never been there before. i'll let you guys know what happened. luv u all.

Mags
08-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Good luck Tink, I hope they can give you something to relieve the pain...

Tink
08-12-2007, 09:57 PM
so i'm back...i waited two hours to be seen..there was a line at the door when i got there...the doc says the eardrum looks okay but the whole canal is inflamed..he gave me some eardrops for that..i'm also running a fever of 102 degrees..he's not sure if my teeth are infected or it's just a TMJ issue but he wants me to go to the dentist next week (the only dentist in this county that takes my insurance only does children but makes exceptions for adults if it's considered an emergency..i don't know why it's so hard when my insurance is from the government assistance program for disability). he put me on some oral antibiotics and gave me some vicodin for the pain..all 6 days worth to hold me over till i can hopefully get in with the dentist. i came home, popped my pills, and am happily enjoying my vicodin..LOL. yay, painkillers (i'm being sarcastic but i kinda mean it too). at least the pain has subsided for now. thanks everyone for caring. i am so beyond happy to be home and resting.

MrsH
08-12-2007, 10:09 PM
So glad you're getting some treatment, I hope you have some rest over the weekend. It'll be great if the dentist can see you soon as well, take care!

dandysmom
08-12-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm so relieved you were seen and got some relief from the pain; hope the dentist visit will work out OK. What a shame that so many places won't take the insurance: our health care system here is badly in need of reform!
Take care of yourself and do let us know how you're doing...(((hugs)))

Mags
09-12-2007, 11:26 AM
So pleased you were given some ABs and pain killers, Tink, that should make you feel more comfortable over the weekend.

Also I hope you'll be able to get a prompt appointment to see the dentist, it looks like all the trouble you've been having may stem from your teeth..... let us know how it goes...take care!

Jac
09-12-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm so pleased for you Tink, there's nothing worse than being in pain. Hopefully the AB's will kick in soon and help also.
Good luck with the dentist. Were just about as bad here trying to get a Dentist to take on National Insurance patients. One's that the government pay for there treatment.

angieh
09-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Tink - thanks for letting us know how you are getting on. I have been thinking about you. Makes us Brits appreciate our NHS, however poor it may be on occasions.

Take care!

Tink
11-12-2007, 04:52 AM
ugh..called the dentist today..just an answering machine..left a message, no call back..will try again in the morning...*looks at 4 more days of pain pills with worry*

Jac
11-12-2007, 08:22 AM
I really hope you get to see the dentist soon. Not my favorite place but it's great when your in pain and they sort you out.

Grete
11-12-2007, 09:03 AM
*hugs* Tink. I think it's terrible only one dentist in your area will take your insurance :( Keep trying them, even if you have to go over there in person to get an appointment.

Tink
11-12-2007, 10:53 PM
i called again this morning and the receptionist told me not to bother coming in and it would be a waste of my time...they are fully booked and she doubts anyone would cancel today. she told me i could try to arrive at 7:45am tomorrow for better luck. i am extremely frustrated and now the pain pills aren't even working anymore. i talked with my counselor today and she is trying to help me find someone who will take me...at least i am getting some help with the search. something really needs to happen fast. *fingers crossed*

alexgirl73
11-12-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm a great believer in that there is nothing worse than dental pain!! So sorry you aren't having much luck, fingers crossed that it is resolved very soon xx

dandysmom
11-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Do you think you can get there by 7:45? Are the roads OK after the awful storms? I do hope you can be seen tomorrow and get some relief; do keep us uupdated,,,(((hugs)))

Grete
12-12-2007, 12:16 AM
I hope you get to see someone Tink, this really sucks for you :( *hugs*

Tink
13-12-2007, 08:54 PM
the other night i was able to find a dentist who would take me in another county..it was about 70 miles away and i'm so glad my OH was able to drive me...long, windy roads in the mountains that get the brunt of the weather..and i'm such a nervous driver already.
dentist says i have an infections just starting in one tooth and i have another that needs to be pulled. since he only inspected the area that is in pain, he wanted to schedule a full exam of all my teeth along with the tooth extraction next wednesday (the 19th).
a new antibiotic has been given (he didn't like what the urgent care doctor gave me) that i have to take FOUR times a day ( i start it tomorrow as he wanted me to finish off the first antibiotic first but i'm supposed to expect diahhrea as a side effect...GREAT), more painkillers, and a mouthwash that makes my food taste funny and bland that will help with the inflamed gums and bleeding.
he looked at my medical history and says my bulimia (which i'm in six months recovery from but i had for fifteen years) and old methamphetamine habit (i've been clean and sober for three years) have come back to haunt me and it's amazing i have any teeth left at all.
it just figures that once i got my life together and got my act straight i would still be paying for my past..
i'm sorry i sound so negative and grumpy...i'm sure it's just the pain talking, please take no offense to my tone. i guess i'm just very frustrated (the vicodin doesn't even seem to be helping anymore with the pain...i have a very high tolerance to painkillers).
i'm sure he will find more problems on the 19th when he checks the rest of my teeth, that is usually my luck. oh, and my regular doctor wants to see me that morning as well..will probably prescribe something else! too many chefs in the kitchen? did i mention i hate going to the doctor and the dentist and avoid it at all costs? i'm just so desperate for this to be over i'm finally going.
sorry for such a negative vent..i just had to get it out.
thanx to anyone who reads and has been kind enough to check up on my condition.
luv u all,
tink

dandysmom
13-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Vent all you want here, Tink; it's good to just let all out sometimes! I don't blame you for feeling miserable, and as a fellow dentist phobic I share your feelings! Hope the painkillers kick in soon and that the nasty side effect will not occur....

Keep us posted.....

alexgirl73
13-12-2007, 09:29 PM
we're here for the good times and bad Tink, rant away love lol!!! Well done on overcoming all those past issues and just think on the fact that you've beaten those, so you can get through this too!! Once you're no longer in pain, your mood will pick up big time. ((hugs))

Mags
13-12-2007, 09:32 PM
It's good to talk and air your worries and concerns, Tink, you have friends here who will listen, encourage and help you. I don't think I've met a person yet who likes going to the dentist or a doctor for that matter.:roll: When I go for treatment I tell myself that the dentist has another appointment after me so every minute I'm sat in that chair is a minute less til his next patient is due. It's surprising how the time soon passes then ;)

Hope the new pain killers help ease the pain for you...

Tink
13-12-2007, 09:33 PM
thanks, i just reread what i posted and i'm a little embarassed because it sounds like i'm feeling so sorry for myself when there are much worse things that could happen...:oops: my moods seem to be really fluctuating...thank u for being such good friends.

p.s. i did beat those but it really was my little angel kuan yin that got me to overcome the bulimia...kitties are the best.

alexgirl73
13-12-2007, 09:39 PM
aren't they just!!!!

dandysmom
13-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Don't be embarrassed at all! I have great respect for you knowing the demons you've overcome, you're much stronger than you think...and bless that Kuan Yin kitty for being there for you! (((hugs)))

MrsH
14-12-2007, 12:02 AM
I'm so pleased you have some dental treatment scheduled at last, but what a long way to have to go!

You'll feel so much better when the problem is sorted and the pain gone. Just stick on in there, you've come so far already, just got to see this through!

Grete
14-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Awww Tink *hugs*

You have come SO far, you really have, you deserve to be proud of yourself and what you've had the strength to achieve despite what you've been through.

This is another step in the right direction and as hard as it will be, it will be worth it in the end.

And you aren't being grumpy or whining, you are entitled to feel sorry for yourself, you are in pain! So just be good to yourself and it will be over and done with soon.

Vent here any time, it does help :)

*hugs*

angieh
14-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Wouldn't it be good if all our good wishes to you really could make you better? Virtual healing. If only .....

You've done so well and should feel rightly proud. Sorry you have to travel so far to the dreaded dentist, but it sounds at least that you've found one who has the will to sort out your teeth. Hang on in there. Love to you and Kuan Yin.

Tink
19-12-2007, 05:27 PM
on my way to the doctor now for a checkup on the ear infection and jaw pain...then when i get home i'll only have time to feed all the animals and jump in the car with my OH (thank God he's driving me) to the dentist about an hour away for the tooth extraction/exam for anymore teeth in dire need of care.
ugh...today is going to be "fun".
wish me luck and painkillers,
tink

dandysmom
19-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Good luck; hope all goes well, (((hugs)) !

Mags
19-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Good luck Tink, it'll soon be over and you will hopefully be pain free for Christmas... (((hugs)))

Grete
20-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Hope it goes well Tink and you will be free from that awful pain! *hugs*

Mags
20-12-2007, 12:44 PM
How did it go with the dentist Tink ? I hope he was able to sort out your problem and your pain has eased today.. :)

Tink
21-12-2007, 12:12 AM
i'm doing okay..thank you Mags for asking.
the doctor in the morning said my ear looks healed...
the dentist was able to pull the tooth fairly quickly but wasn't able to give me anything to calm my nerves like nitrus because my insurance didn't cover it..the assistant sat with me and put her hand on my shoulder because i was starting to have a panic attack and i was trembling..after a few shots of anasthetic, i felt a little better. the tooth came out pretty easily..he wants to see me back sometime to do fillings for some large cavities on three other teeth..but given the distance and the weather i may wait till the snow passes...
my whole head aches and i feel like i got punched in the jaw..i slept a long time and missed a couple doses of painkillers so hopefully as the day goes on it will cease.
the worst part is the inability to eat a decent meal. i have eggnog ice cream and strawberry yogurt to pick from in my fridge..i wasn't very prepared...i really don't feel like eating either and am trying to fill up on juice instead.

Mags
21-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Oh dear Tink, sorry it was such an ordeal for you (((hugs))) ...... at least the offending tooth is out now and the aches, pains and soreness will subside in a few days.

Well done to you for getting the courage to go, I know that must have been a big step for you. If you can, make sure you go back in the better weather to get those other teeth filled ...... you'll be as good as new then!;)

Hope you'll be able to eat a little more tomorrow.. :)

dandysmom
21-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Glad the worst is over! Get lots of healing sleep and lots of juices; hope you feel much better in the morning! (((hugs)))

Tink
21-12-2007, 01:33 AM
thank you for your kind words.
just thought i'd let you know it's been a few hours and the painkillers are working and i feel much better. i felt so guilty when i woke up, i was so out of it last night and rushed yesterday i forgot to clean kuan yin's litter box. so i'm feeling better and have fed, watered, and cleaned all my babies areas...poor things, mommy was bad yesterday.

dandysmom
21-12-2007, 03:17 AM
Hey, girl, you were sick yesterday! No guilt trip...one day won't hurt, and everything is better today! Glad the painkillers are working!

Grete
21-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Glad it went as well as it did Tink, you did really well getting through it :) *hugs*

Jac
21-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Well done Tink.;) . You'll feel much better today I'm sure.