PDA

View Full Version : the whiskas pouches

pleasehelp
07-12-2007, 05:46 PM
they come in a box - 12 in a box. they are kind of like meat in jelly.

I am giving him about three of these a day with a bowl of ordinary milk.

Is this sufficient - I also bought him some whiskas dry little bitey things that you sprinkle on top of the food but he knocks it aside.

As some of you might know I am a new cat owner and she came to be as a little stray so I don't know the first thing really.

am I feeding her enough, or not enough.

also is there anything else I should be doing - sometimes (once in a while) if I give her some human chicken like I did last night he made a poo in the kitty litter but missed it (he does this often) and it landed on the floor and it was really watery. Was that because of the chicken.

also just one more thing - he is ALWAYS talking - I don't know what she wants - she is fed, watered, and has a place to sleep and I open the door to let her out and she doesnt want to but she still keeps talkign to me.

It has come to the stage now where I am saying "what?" to her and she repeats her "talk".

this so quite confusing for me

pleasehelp
07-12-2007, 05:48 PM
sorry you might notice that I am calling him both a HE and a She - this was because I didn't know what he was because he was a little stray - I found out last night that he is actually a HE - HE decided to show me himself that he was male. ha ha

I think he got a bit tired of me saying "good girl" all the time.

Jac
07-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Sorry I cant remember how old "he" is. I feed my two pouches the whiska's ones in jelly the gravy one's give them the runs.
My wee boy is 71/2 months and my girl 10 months. They get half a pouch each in the morning, the same at lunch time and again in the evening. They have a bowl of james wellbeloved complete food in a bowl which I top up when needed. So they have access to food at all times (and they dont pig out)
If I were you I would take away the human milk. Give him water or cat milk, you get cat milk in cartons by the cat food in most supermarkets.

As for talking. Some cats are talkative others arnt. It could be his way of saying hello or cuddle me or anything really.

I hope this helps. Just shout if you want to know any more.

Fran
07-12-2007, 06:22 PM
First of all, stop giving him cow's milk. This can cause diarrhoea in cats and kittens. I recommend just giving him water. Follow the guidelines on the box for number of pouches a day according to the age you think he is. I'd also be inclined to offer him a good quality dry kitten biscuit, perhaps in a seperate bowl if he doesn't like his biscuits mixed with meat. Have you wormed him? If not then register with a vet and get a good quality wormer as worms can be the cause of a runny tum too.

Regarding his 'talking', some cats are just more vocal than others and I'd be in my element if he was interacting with me so much; he obviously feels at ease with you. Good luck and do let us know how you get on :D

random
07-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi there! Like the others have said, cow's milk is not good for cats at all and is most likely this that is giving him a runny tummy. I'd stick to water, it's just fine for cats. They don't have many taste buds really not nearly as many as humans and prefer salty things to sweet anyway (milk being sweeter) but water will be fine and maybe the cat milk as Jac suggested but i'd only really give it for a treat now and then, Whiskas and Felix both make cat milk and you can get it in a little bottle next to the cat food in your supermarket.

Follow the guidelines on the pack of how much to feed but play it by ear also. All cats are different.

Also make sure to get him booked in the vets for a checkup and he will need to be wormed and vaccinated too. The worming is important as a lot of kittens are actually born with worms so make sure you get this done for him. What was his name again?

Good luck!

Elaine
07-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Cannt add much more than what the others have already said other than to say get him booked into the vet for the nut chop:lol:

Kazz
07-12-2007, 08:38 PM
I can't add anymore than has been said and to agree with cutting milk out. However I would like to say sounds like he's landed on his feet finding you, whats his name.

dandysmom
07-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Excellent feeding advice; and especially the worming and neutering. He sounds like a lovely boy; a talky cat is so nice! Do ask away with any more questions...and, what is his name?

angieh
07-12-2007, 10:15 PM
What a lucky cat to have such attention from you! I second (or seventh) all that has been said by others about milk, worming etc. The Whiskas box will tell you how many sachets to feed per day related to the weight of your cat.

As for the talking - don't forget to blink slowly at your cat - this is sometimes called kitty kisses. Give him a cuddle and talk back to him - I think most cats like to hear human voices, especially if they are soft and loving!:lol: :lol: :lol:

yola
07-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Yes to the milk too - don't let him drink cow's milk. The worming and general check-up (+ neutering) with the vet is a good idea.

My cats are persians but they just didn't get on with wet food at all and are now on 100% dry food. This will possibly change according to age - tastes and abilities to digest different types of food will evolve with your cat, but just try different feeds and eventually you will hit upon the one that works.

Oh, and guys; he's called Frankie - cool name or what!

Diddeen
12-12-2007, 02:48 PM
My kitten used to do sloppy poos every so often but i changed his food from whiskas/felix to a much better food called Natures Menu pouches.. they are 70% meat whereas whiskas/felix pouches are only 4%.. also i changed his dry food from the whiskas/tesco which were low in meat content and put him onto Burns/James Belloved which are about 26% meat i think.. he loves both and his poos are quite normal now. I occasionally give him chicken if its plain but nothing else we eat.. and i dont give him milk;) I do hope you sort your kitty out soon.
Oh and my kitten talks to me all the time, i do the same as you and say, whats the matter, and he goes meow! :lol: Usually he's saying hello, play with me, feed me or give me a cuddle.

pleasehelp
13-12-2007, 09:59 AM
thanks guys - sorry for not gettin back sooner - real busy at work.

anyway frankie is definitely a HE - i found out before I took him to the vet because he actually flashed me (all he needed was a trenchcoat). Hes been to the vet and has all his checkups now (wow, expensive). I bought him a selection box for christmas (a cat one) and he's still yapping away - hes a lovely little thing. Im so glad I found him.

Mags
13-12-2007, 01:27 PM
He sounds gorgeous and I'm pleased to hear you have got so attached to him..:D

Megsy
14-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Great advice from everyone. I would just like to add that my cat Tito loves to talk. He loves to interact with us and we all talk constantly to him. There doesn't have to be anything annoying him for him to talk to you. Just enjoy.