PDA

View Full Version : Cows milk?

sarah5
02-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Why is my 8 year old suddenly going crazy over cows milk? I can't open the fridge without him racing in and meowing madly.. And is it ok to give him a little every day?

Thanks!

dandysmom
02-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Cows milk doesn't have the proper nutrients for cats; also many adult cats cannot tolerate it; upset tummies and the runs...

Having said that, Patches adored cows milk and had a small saucer of it every day till she died in her sleep at 20....

Mags
02-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Have you tried your cat with proper cat milk ...... it would be more suitable and you would avoid any upset tums...

sarah5
02-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Hmm well I did give them proper cat milk but it gave my little one the runs - he was only 4 months at the time and he is now about 8 months so I think I'll try it again, perhaps his tummy will have matured a little.

My 8 year old seems fine with anything bless him, he is a toughy lol!

Will defo move to the cats milk now though, thanks for the advice.

Oooh dandysmom, just wanted to say that my childhood cat "Pusspuss" (lol!) lived to the ripe old age of 24 and I'm certain my mum used to give her cows milk!

Would rather be safe than sorry though, thanks xx

Moli
02-12-2007, 11:56 PM
I have 2 who drink cows milk with no bad efffects, but the rest all get upset tums with it...

Darky
03-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Our cats drank cow's milk for years before I found out that it could upset their tummies due to lactose intolerance. So I switched to cat's milk and luckily it went down an absolute treat.

However, we do still give cow's milk on the very odd occassion, quite rarely, as both of our cat's take it just fine. C: Normally just when we haven't got any cat's milk about.

HellBelle
03-12-2007, 05:18 PM
If the cat is used to cow's milk then they will be fine with it. It's only if they are given it when they are not used to it that it can lead to upset tummies. Milk (cow's or otherwise) is not a necessary part of a feline diet but they do seem to like it. If you want to give your cat milk you need to wean them on to it very slowly. It is also worth noting that milk is like a complete meal to a cat, so other food amounts should be reduced or they might gain weight.

sarah5
04-12-2007, 12:26 PM
If the cat is used to cow's milk then they will be fine with it. It's only if they are given it when they are not used to it that it can lead to upset tummies. Milk (cow's or otherwise) is not a necessary part of a feline diet but they do seem to like it. If you want to give your cat milk you need to wean them on to it very slowly. It is also worth noting that milk is like a complete meal to a cat, so other food amounts should be reduced or they might gain weight.

Oh right, thanks for that info, it didn't occur to me that it would be like a meal for them (ie possible weight gain).. I am now giving them a little Whiskas milk once during the day just to give them a little snack almost! They love it!

I will bear in mind about the weight issue as my eldest is a little overweight already, so will just give a little.

Thanks for all your advice x

Gaina
06-12-2007, 08:31 PM
I can't remember where I read it (it was a reputable veterinary site) that cows milk inhibits the production of certain protiens.

I give Billy Felix and he adores it, also ASDA's own make is quite acceptable to His Royal Furiness :P.