PDA

View Full Version : My cats are all really ill

smudgley
02-12-2007, 08:15 PM
The worst thing ever has happened. :cry: :cry:
we have been out all day & the cats & dog were shut in the kitchen as usual. John has got home & Bluebell is nearly dead, Emily is really poorly & crying & Titch is lethargic.

The boiler in there is leaking gas or carbon monoxide.

He is on his way to the vets with them but he says Blue is really bad.

I've been out for my works meal & am now doing an overnight duty at work & am 50 miles away from home.

Please pray for them all to be ok.

Erin
02-12-2007, 08:18 PM
OMG Kelly Im so sorry :(

Have everyhing crossed here and praying for all of them xxxx

Elaine
02-12-2007, 08:18 PM
OMG Kelly, I am so sorry, have everything crossed and praying for them as i type.
Hugs to you xxx

Kazz
02-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Dear God I am sorry beyond words to read this how is Carli?

I can't get out of my head that it could have been all of you home and asleep....gas/carbon monoxide is fatal to people as well as animals...I hope they are all well and nothing happens to any of them (as you know) but equally so pleased it was "just" the animals.

Tink
02-12-2007, 08:27 PM
OMG, no! oh i will pray for them..please let us know how they are doing when you can...

Jane
02-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Oh no I'm so sorry :( I really hope they'll be okay. I'm not religious but I will pray for them anyway.

smudgley
02-12-2007, 08:35 PM
The dog is ok & Titch seems the least affected. I wonder if Blue was lying on the worktop near the boiler?
Smudge was not in the kitchen as she was asleep on Lucys bed when I left, so I just left her there.

I'm so annoyed with myself because Bluebell wanted to go outside & I wouldn't let her as it was raining so much & I knew we'd be out for quite a while.

I've just spoke to John & Bluebell has perked up very slightly. The kids are really upset & so is John, I feel so bloody helpless sat at work, but there's nothing I can do.

The bloody boiler has been playing up & we were going to get someone to check it.

John is on his way to the vets with them all, I'll keep you posted.

Elaine
02-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Whatever happens Kelly, dont go beating yourself up with all the ifs and buts. I know its human nature but it wont do any one any good.
Sending as many possitive vibes as I can muster xxx

Kazz
02-12-2007, 08:41 PM
It could be why Carli and Titch are fine being low down on the floor I am sure gas rises.... I hope they are all fine Kel, accidents happen.

smudgley
02-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. It's really nice to have friends around you in a crisis. Nothing seems to be going right for us at the minute. I'm just glad he got home when he did as he said he thought Blue was dead & she was unaware of her surroundings.
I just hope they are ok, he's took Bluebell & Titch & Emily. My Dad has gone with him. He should be there by now.

Kazz
02-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Kel It may seem as if nothing is going right when in fact it has gone very well tonight John came home in time....how much more luck can you want.:) Chin up they will all be fine.

John
02-12-2007, 08:53 PM
smudgley..thats terrible..I hope everything works out ok for you...john

smudgley
02-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Trust you to find a positive out of this. ;) {hugs to Kazz & thanks}
I hope you are right that they will be ok.

Kazz
02-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Trust you to find a positive out of this. ;) {hugs to Kazz & thanks}
I hope you are right that they will be ok.

Have you eevr known me to be wrong ;) and there is always a positive just that we (being humans) look for the negative when something scary like this happens.

I predict happiness as the outcome.

Donna
02-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Oh Smudgley, am sorry to hear you have had such a shocking experience, but as Kazz says - you hopefully got home in time, and the poor furries will all be fine after a bit of TLC.

Am thinking of you as it must be a very scary experience x

smudgley
02-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks Donna, I am sitting at work eagerly awaiting a phone call whilst trying to sign a million christmas cards. :roll:

Erin
02-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Im off to work soon Kelly but will keep popping on here for news.
Im sure they will all be fine,have everything crossed xxx
(((((hugs)))))

smudgley
02-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks erin. I'm really scared, I hope John is ok as he was so worried when I spoke to him earlier.

Moli
02-12-2007, 09:16 PM
So sorry to read this Smudgley....Everything crossed for them, sure they will be ok....Hugs...xx

Carole
02-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Everything crossed for some good news xx

Kazz
02-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Kel any news yet?

alexgirl73
02-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Oh God Kelly, I'm sitting here nearly crying!! I've got everything crossed for you and the furries. Prayers being sent, hope they help xx

Annestaff
02-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Oh no how terrible :(

Hope its good news

smudgley
02-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Kel any news yet?

No, not heard from him. He had to drive to St. Georges, Wolverhampton so it's quite a long drive (30 mins maybe?) He should call me soon, hopefully.

Thanks Alex.

dandysmom
02-12-2007, 09:39 PM
OMG, Kel, just saw this, how horrible!! I'm praying and sending good vibes; God willing they'll pull thru....

smudgley
02-12-2007, 09:44 PM
As predicted by Kazz..............................

THEY ARE OK :cool:

He's just called to say, they have all perked up now & the vet gave them all a good check over & they had oxygen all set up ready to give them, but they didn't need it. He contacted London (RVC maybe?) to ask about poisoning etc & checked info in a medical book (this is the vet I'm talking about, not John) & said they are all ok now. He said he doubts if it's C/M as they wouldn't recover so quickly if it was.... but it has to be the boiler & there is a smell coming from it. I reckon it's leaking gas? Anyway, we have to keep them out of the room & turn the boiler off & tomorrow it will be the first job of the day to get a gas man out to the boiler. Luckily Johns off work tomorrow.

Moli
02-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Great news, so pleased they are all ok....Give them all big snuggles from me...:D

alexgirl73
Praise be!!!!!!! I'm SO relieved to hear that Kelly, though obviously not as much as you. Give them all a special cuddle from auntie Alex when you see them xx

Elaine
Oh thank god Kelly. Was almost frightened to read your post. So very very pleased that they are all gonna be ok.
Many many hugs to all of you, human and animal alike xxx:D

Kazz
02-12-2007, 09:47 PM
As predicted by Kazz..............................

THEY ARE OK :cool:

He's just called to say, they have all perked up now & the vet gave them all a good check over & they had oxygen all set up ready to give them, but they didn't need it. He contacted London (RVC maybe?) to ask about poisoning etc & checked info in a medical book (this is the vet I'm talking about, not John) & said they are all ok now. He said he doubts if it's C/M as they wouldn't recover so quickly if it was.... but it has to be the boiler & there is a smell coming from it. I reckon it's leaking gas? Anyway, we have to keep them out of the room & turn the boiler off & tomorrow it will be the first job of the day to get a gas man out to the boiler. Luckily Johns off work tomorrow.

You know I have a vision in my head now of John being on the other line as the vet rings the RVC....AND John looking over the vets shoulder as he looks at the book. I know I would be and I know how much they all mean to him.

Glad all is well Kelly I am off to bed now and will sleep well knowing they are fine.

dandysmom
02-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Exhales! Thank God!

smudgley
02-12-2007, 10:01 PM
I was so scared incase anything happened to Bluebell, obviously I was worried about all of them, but as my niece said yesterday, John treats Bluebell more like a daughter than a cat. :oops:

EmmaG
02-12-2007, 10:11 PM
How did I miss this thread??? Glad they are all ok Kelly, you must have been so frightened. Sounds as if it was gas and not C/M. Do you have one of those CM testers?? I purchased one a little while ago, gives off a very load alarm if it detects CM. I know it wouldn't have stopped what happened but you might have know it wasn't CM.

yola
02-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Kelly - read this earlier but couldn't post and came back as soon as I could just hoping that the news was good. I swear my heart was in my mouth . . . . I am SO delighted to read that the cats are feeling better - how frightening for you all. Thank God that John came back when he did . . . :shock:

Tinker
02-12-2007, 10:20 PM
How scarey, I am glad they are OK.
I hope you can get the boiler fixed soon.

smudgley
02-12-2007, 10:23 PM
How did I miss this thread??? Glad they are all ok Kelly, you must have been so frightened. Sounds as if it was gas and not C/M. Do you have one of those CM testers?? I purchased one a little while ago, gives off a very load alarm if it detects CM. I know it wouldn't have stopped what happened but you might have know it wasn't CM.

You won't believe this, but John actually bought one yesterday when he went shopping, because the boiler had been playing up. :shock: We had a little dabble with it, but I told him to leave it as we were going to a Christmas meal last night with the caravan club & I didn't want to be late. :roll:

EmmaG
02-12-2007, 10:33 PM
You won't believe this, but John actually bought one yesterday when he went shopping, because the boiler had been playing up. :shock: We had a little dabble with it, but I told him to leave it as we were going to a Christmas meal last night with the caravan club & I didn't want to be late. :roll:

That's really strange isn't it Kelly!!!! perhaps you purchasing the alarm and what has happened today has actually stopped a very tragic event happening in the future??

Donna
02-12-2007, 10:33 PM
I am SO GLAD they are all alright x

Mags
02-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Oh what a terrible shock for you all Smudgley :shock: what could have happened doesn't bear thinking about.:(

I am so very pleased that everyone, cats, dog and humans, are ok......... hugs to you all..:)

Tink
02-12-2007, 10:58 PM
i believe it was a bit of a christmas miracle...maybe you had some angels watching out for you all..

borderdawn
02-12-2007, 11:23 PM
GOSH!! Horror, to praying to , thank god for that!! So pleased they are ok Kelly.

dandysmom
02-12-2007, 11:26 PM
i believe it was a bit of a christmas miracle...maybe you had some angels watching out for you all..

What a lovely thought, Tink! Cat angels, maybe .......

MrsH
03-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Goodness, just seen this, what a relief that they're all OK. What a good thing John got home when he did!

Fran
03-12-2007, 01:40 AM
Gosh Smudgley what a terrible experience :shock: I am so glad that everyone is ok! I do hope that you get your boiler sorted out quickly and that everyone continues to remain well x

Grete
03-12-2007, 01:49 AM
OMG I just caught this, thank goodness the cats are OK and so are you all. As has already been said a few time, it looks like it was a blessing in disguise that it didn't progress any further and end in tragedy for the whole family.

LOTS of *hugs* to the poor kitties and to you all.

Jac
03-12-2007, 10:38 AM
I havent been on this weekend.

Kel I'm so sorry you have had this experiance but as Tink said someone or something must have been watching over you to get John home in time.
I hope all your babies are better today. Please give them a wee cuddle from me. (((((((())))))))) Hugs.

kado
03-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Sorry i have just seen this too and its had me in tears. I am so glad they are all better. Sending you all hugs

jane

Emm
03-12-2007, 01:36 PM
omg thank goodness for a great outcome - good to hear all the animals are doing well - that must have been terrifying to go through.

smudgley
03-12-2007, 03:13 PM
ok, now my head is straight - here's the facts.

When John got back Emily was lying on the floor with her head on the side salivating & screaming, he looked around for Blue who was lying with her back legs on a chair & her body dangling off it, he thought she was dead, then he picked up Blues head & realised she was alive. He could smell something from the boiler, so he turned off the boiler & opened the windows. My girls were upset, but sensible & Lucy took Emily out onto the drive so that Emily could get some fresh air, she was wobbly but with it! The wind was rattling, which meant that she was getting lots of fresh air pretty quick. He put Blue on the windowsill in the lounge & opened the window, but she was unable to balance & my other daughter had to stop her falling off. She was soaked with saliva. He called me, then called the vets, who got oxygen ready for their arrival. The dog was fine. Titch seemed ok, just a bit quieter than usual. Emily & Blue came round fairly quick & by the time they got to the vets, they were much better. the vet gave them a full examination & contacted a poison lab for advise. He sent them home & said to come back if they took ill again & to get the boiler sorted. He said he didn't think it would be C/M as it gets into the blood stream & they would not recover so quickly.
The cats were fine overnight & Blue & Smudge slept with John, whilst Emily & Titch slept with Lu. The dog slept with Ashleigh.

This morning all is well.

A man has been out to the boiler & said the (something) pipe has gone & needs replacing. He is trying to get the part, he said if he can't get the part, he will have to condemn the boiler. He also said that it WAS C/M leaking & that it mixes with the air & circulates in the room. He said the animals were very lucky & John reckons if he'd have been another half hour Blue would have died.

The man also said, he could not stress enough the importance of annually checking your boiler. Oh & he looked at the C/M tester John bought, which is faulty as we suspected & needs to go back.

Mags
03-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Thank goodness everyone is well today Smudgley ....... it just goes to show how easy something like that can happen. I dread th think what would have happened if it had been in the middle of the night when everyone was asleep :(

I hope your boiler is sorted out soon ........... and that should be a warning to us all to get our boilers and gas fires serviced regularly..

sammy
03-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Oh Lord, I've only just seen this! What an awful thing to happen Smudgely, but thank goodness you're all OK.......

HellBelle
03-12-2007, 05:14 PM
What a dreadful thing for you all. Pleased to read that everyone is ok.

Tanya
03-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Sounds like you had an awful fright.

I am glad that everyone is ok and that the problem has been spotted and is being fixed. :)

angieh
03-12-2007, 09:48 PM
So glad to hear that you, your family and the pets are all OK. What a terrible fright for you all.

random
03-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Sorry I didn't see this at the time, glad they are all ok it must have been awful for you.

smudgley
03-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks everyone.

We have 2 more gas engineers coming out tomorrow to quote for a new boiler.

We currently have no hot water or heating, but hey, who cares... could have been a lot worse!

I think Emily is fine, but Bluebell is not herself, she's ok, just a bit quiet. I may pop her to the vets again tomorrow depending how she is.

dandysmom
03-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Glad Emily's OK, hope Bluebell perks up by tomorrow; she must have gotten the worst dose of it....(((hugs)))

borderdawn
04-12-2007, 12:06 AM
What a relief, hope Blue is back to herself quickly. Well done to John and the kids for acting so quickly.
Dawn.

kitty cat
04-12-2007, 09:39 AM
glad to hear they are all well

Erin
04-12-2007, 08:07 PM
How is Blue today Kelly?

smudgley
04-12-2007, 08:13 PM
How is Blue today Kelly?

She seems better thanks, we haven't taken her back to the vet as she seems fine.

Another gas man confirmed it was C/M & that we were very lucky.

Erin
04-12-2007, 08:16 PM
She seems better thanks, we haven't taken her back to the vet as she seems fine.

Another gas man confirmed it was C/M & that we were very lucky.

So glad she is better,and Emily of course :)

Your all very lucky xxx

Kim
04-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Only just caught up with this, How awful Smudgley. Glad you are all okay. (((hugs)))

smudgley
04-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks all.

It's a bit nippy in our house, no heating & no hot water.... but we will have to get the new boiler asap. Although all the people who've been to look at it are busy & noone can do it straight away.

dandysmom
04-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Brrr! Do you have a little space heater and an electric kettle?

Moli
04-12-2007, 11:46 PM
You want one of those halogen heaters Smudgley, they are brilliant...

smudgley
05-12-2007, 08:50 AM
We have a halogen heater Moli. ;)

Grete
05-12-2007, 09:12 AM
So glad the cats are OK now, I still shudder to think what could have happened :( It was certainly John and the girls quick thinking to open windows and get them outside that saved them, as with CM poisoning that is pretty much the only thing you can do and you have to do it fast.

*hugs* to everyone there, skin and fur ;)

Kay
09-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Just catching up. What a terrible thing to have happened. Glad everything turned out right in the end and that the furries are better. Have you got your new boiler yet?

smudgley
09-12-2007, 08:50 PM
No, not even managed to get the quotes for it yet. :roll: We've had 3 people in to give us a price, well be chasing them up tomorrow.

charliebubs
09-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Gosh - I missed this thread the other day. I've just had my heart in my mouth reading it. What a lucky escape you all had Kelly. I'm so pleased that everyone is okay. :)