PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone...

Grete
01-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Have an experience or comments on Light boxes for SAD?

The reason I ask is, I have a long term depressive condition called Dysthymia and while it's mainly well controlled by medication, I find the winter months are generally more 'blue'.

My doctor thinks it's likely I have SAD (Seasonal affected disorder) and the research I've done suggests a Light Box could help quite a lot, but they are pretty expensive.

I was hoping someone might have some experience of them before I try and broach the subject with my husband.

I was thinking that instead of asking for book tokens from my family this christmas, I ask for some money towards buying one.

Anyway, there you go, any help appreciated :)

yola
01-12-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm sorry Grete, no experience of them. My Dad suffered from SAD too in later years. He found winter months difficult to get through - well more difficult that usual :(

Good luck, I hope you find the information you need to help you make the right decision.

Jac
01-12-2007, 12:19 PM
I worked with a girl who suffered from SAD. She bought a light and swore by it.
I'm afraid that's all I know about them.

dandysmom
01-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Wish I were more familiar with the lights, Grete; can't help. Have you done any online research on them? I think I have a mild case of SAD myself (self-diagnosed), but haven't contemplated using the light therapy...