PDA

View Full Version : When your numbers up

Jac
30-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Not sure where to put this but I wanted to share it with you all.

As you know Derek's TA's are going to Afghanistan in the new year.
They were in Germany for there two week annual training a couple of months ago.
One of the girls went out for a jog one morning. She was hit by a car and killed.
This weekend they are all away up to Avimore (her favourite place). They are going to scatter her ashes and build a cairn in her memory. She was getting married next year to a sgt in her squadron. Poor guy is devastated.
Anyway I guess when your number is up, it's up.

dandysmom
30-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Oh how very sad....especially when she was so young with her whole life in front of her. You know the saying, "We know not the day or the hour"......

Jac
30-11-2007, 10:22 PM
I know Eileen. I think it really got to me because she was only in her 20's. She was getting married and had her whole life in front of her.
The TA's are voluntary, the government relay on them to help out our regular boys. Yet they get hardly any recognition when it comes to war scenario's. Did you know it's cheaper to pay four TA's than one regular? something wrong there. Also when they go to Afghanistan they have to provide there own life insurance, the military don't cover it. Oh, I'm on a roll here. Better stop.

dandysmom
30-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Didn't know any of that! :shock: Doesn't sound right to me.....

Jac
30-11-2007, 10:41 PM
TA's (territorial army) mostly made up of retired soldiers or civilian's that want to "help" out. (remember you can "retire" from the army after a few years.)
If there is a war situation and the TA's are called in then by law your place of work must keep your job open for you to return to. By law they must give you at least two weeks off per year for annual training (and pay you) but if you are called up for active service you must arrange your own life insurance and pay for it.
I think it sucks! Our TA's should get better than that.

dandysmom
30-11-2007, 10:54 PM
That's like our National Guard, then. But I have no idea if ours have to buy their insurance...what a horrible idea!

Jac
30-11-2007, 11:01 PM
It is isn't it?

Even our Army, Sean at 18 had to write his will before he left for Bosnia. What a thought!
Every time Sean goes into a war situation he has to write a new will.
Derek would not only have to write his will but arrange his life insurance and pay for it.
Something tells me that's wrong. The TA's are helping our Army and Air force yet get no life cover from the nation there "working" for.

Sorry getting off my soap box now but I feel it's all wrong.

dandysmom
30-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Don't suppose it would do a d**n bit of good, but write your MP! Lots of people must be appalled by this.....they're good enough to give their lives for their country, but have to buy their own insurance....

Jac
30-11-2007, 11:48 PM
Thats a good idea Eileen. I think I will. Dont suppose many others have thought about it. Ta