PDA

View Full Version : How often?

Jac
30-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Do queen's come into call? I'm asking as Abi has had her first call:shock: At 10 months. Normally Raggies come into call between 12 and 14 months. Trust me to get one that is more mature:roll: .
I dont want her to have too many before I mate her (if I do) as I know it's not good for her. Yet I dont want her to have kittens to early as she's just a baby herself.

dandysmom
30-11-2007, 09:54 PM
If your female cat does not mate, she will go into oestrus as often as every two to three weeks, for several months each year, until she either mates or is spayed. (http://www.catsey.com/If%20your%20female%20cat%20does%20not%20mate,%20sh e%20will%20go%20into%20oestrus%20as%20often%20as%2 0every%20two%20to%20three%20weeks,%20for%20several %20months%20each%20year,%20until%20she%20either%20 mates%20or%20is%20spayed.)

Found this on line, Jac. Couldn't copy the link (?), so just highlighted this part.......

Jac
30-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks Eileen. That's really useful. I don't want any harm to come to Abi but I have to find a stud for her. I could go to Caspurr's breeder but for obvious reasons don't want to.
As a newbie breeder I'm not sure who would let me. As for a breeder not sure I would want to do it regularly. Oh confusion, confusion.

dandysmom
30-11-2007, 10:24 PM
One of the articles mentioned that a queen is mature enough at a year to be bred. I think that may be a generalization, as aren't Ragdolls a little slower than some breeds to mature? You may have to put up with calling for a while; and isn't it a bit stressful for her? Never having had an entire female I don't really have any advice, As to studs, on the Cat Breed Clubs would there be notices of toms who were at stud? I think that may be expensive,,,but I really don't know what I'm talking about as I've never contemplated breeding...

Jac
30-11-2007, 10:33 PM
I've never contemplated breeding either till now. Ragdolls dont normally "call" before 12 months. Yet it can be earlier. In Abi's case it's been earlier (thank god Caspurr was done when he was) jac breathes a sigh of relief.

It is very stressfull and as I say I don't want any harm to come to her.

Kay
09-12-2007, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't mate her before she is 12 months no matter how many calls she has had, Raggies are very much like Persians in their immaturity. Queens vary take Tilly she only called every 6 weeks but all year round whereas Angel only had 2 days between each call again all year round. Jilly and Phoebe call every 20 days and Leila every 4 weeks. She may well go off call for the winter but this all depends on how warm and light your home is. False light and heat tricks their bodies into thinking it is still summer and they therefore continue to call.