PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody answer me

pleasehelp
29-11-2007, 01:05 PM
hello

first timer here.

Small question.

I have been basically owning a cat that came around my house in the summertime - he/she was only a kitten then. She basically lives with me now - she is waiting for me when I get home from work and I take her inside, feed her, bought her a litterbox, the whole works.

I went away for two weeks - she was waiting for me when I got back (I had a neighbour feed her/him)

The day before yesterday I let her out in the morning - she never came back - she hasn't been seen since. Last night I was calling her in the garden - this big tom cat (who hangs around but never "says" anything) came up and starting talking to me which he never did before.

Still there is no sign of my little adopted cat.

Is this normal for her/him to wander for a few days. I have driven around and there is no sign of any accident or any cat dead on the road or anything.

I didn't think I would miss her/him but I really do.
:(

please tell me it is normal and she will come back

(ps. I don't actually know if the cat is a he or she).

smudgley
29-11-2007, 01:27 PM
I think you should make a desicion weather you want to own this cat or not & if you do, then I'd suggest a vet check to get the cat sexed / wormed/ neutered etc.
The chances are the cat is female & if a tom cat is chasing her, he is probably trying to mate her... which means she will be having a litter soon if she gets pregnant, which is probably not the best thing for a young cat.

smudgley
29-11-2007, 01:32 PM
hello

first timer here.

Small question.

I have been basically owning a cat that came around my house in the summertime - he/she was only a kitten then. She basically lives with me now - she is waiting for me when I get home from work and I take her inside, feed her, bought her a litterbox, the whole works.

I went away for two weeks - she was waiting for me when I got back (I had a neighbour feed her/him)

The day before yesterday I let her out in the morning - she never came back - she hasn't been seen since. Last night I was calling her in the garden - this big tom cat (who hangs around but never "says" anything) came up and starting talking to me which he never did before.

Still there is no sign of my little adopted cat.

Is this normal for her/him to wander for a few days. I have driven around and there is no sign of any accident or any cat dead on the road or anything.

I didn't think I would miss her/him but I really do.
:(

please tell me it is normal and she will come back

(ps. I don't actually know if the cat is a he or she).

I presume you think the cat is female as you mainly refer to the cat as a female.

Also you quote that you are missing your adopted cat, maybe you should get her health checked & put a collar on her with an id tag or get her microchipped when she returns.

Grete
29-11-2007, 02:03 PM
I can't really add anything to what Smudgely said, I hope she does come back tho and do get her checked/vaccinated and spayed (or neutered).

yola
29-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Do you think somebody else might also be looking after him/her? Cats are good at claiming several homes as their own in order to maximise feeding :D

I think Smudgely's right though - you obviously care about this cat, it would be lovely if you could give it a name and a proper home (circumstances permitting of course).

Moli
29-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Warm welcome to Catsey, I can not add any more than the advice above...

pleasehelp
29-11-2007, 03:53 PM
I know - I had been planning on getting her/him neutered because she was always at my house and in my house and I was spending a fortune on food and catmilk for her. Its just that I didn't realise I liked her so much until she vanished.

She hasn't come back yet as we speak but as soon as I see her she is getting a collar on her and she is getting neutered.

I hope she is okay

My OH keeps telling me its quite normal for cats to go away for a few days. I don't really belive him because she was too much of a baby to just vanish. She was basically like a small child.

In reality, is it normal for her to just vanish like that.

sorry, I keep talking about the cat as if its a HER - Im not really sure - ( I cant tell) she is a very young cat. I do have her named. :cry:

thank you for all your replies

yola
29-11-2007, 04:08 PM
I hope s/he's OK too. Why not walk around with some dried food (if that's what she eats); rattle the box and see if she comes running. Maybe she's locked in somewhere? Try printing out little notes and pushing them through doors locally. Basically do all the stuff you'd do if it was actually your cat that went missing . . . notes in newsagents' windows, on vets noticboards, on lampposts.

Also put something out in your garden that smells of you and your home that she might find familiar and reassuring. Just in case she's lost her bearings.

Good luck, please do let us know how you get on.

Mags
29-11-2007, 04:23 PM
I hope she's ok and returns home to you...

I am wondering if she may have belonged to someone before she wandered into your house ...... could her previous owner perhaps had found her again?:?

Was she shut indoors throughout the night when she was with you?

pleasehelp
29-11-2007, 04:44 PM
ya she was indoors with me all night - she taught herself how to open the bedroom door and come in at night. She had her own chair in the sitting room

dandysmom
29-11-2007, 05:13 PM
That must be so worrying for you! :( Do try the suggestions for a lost cat, signs, etc, etc. Hope she returns soon ........do let us know if she shows up.

random
29-11-2007, 05:17 PM
I do hope she returns, yes sometimes cats do stray for a few days or more. x

pleasehelp
30-11-2007, 10:00 AM
thanks guys.

I think I know what happened.

We have woods behind our house - there is a house in the woods and the little cat always came from there - when we would let her out she would jump over the wall back to the house in the woods, but she was always waiting for us when I came home from work and wouldnt leave us until I put her out in the mornings.

Anyway I was calling to her again last night hoping she would come, when I saw all the lights go off in the house in the woods. I walked around - there is a lot of work being done in the house - vans everywhere, etc. It looks like the people are moving out for a while, or maybe for good.

I am HOPING that they took the cat to their new home - that way I know nothing happened to her, but I think I might call to them this evening to ask if they took the cat and if she is okay and maybe hint that if they don't want her, I will gladly take her.

The reason why I never put a coller on her or got her neutered is because I didn't really know if she was somebody elses cat, but now I think I know what happened.

Cross your fingers they let me keep her when I go talk to them. After all, they should have had a coller on her if she was their cat.

Mags
30-11-2007, 12:50 PM
I hope you are right and she does belong to the people in the house, at least you would know she is safe and being looked after.

She may be microchipped and that's why she didn't wear a collar. I think it's a good idea to check with these people just for your own peace of mind.

Please let us know how you get on... good luck!

Jac
30-11-2007, 01:13 PM
It would be worth checking with the workmen to see if she has got into a van. You say there is work going on. Could she be trapped in the house?

dandysmom
30-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Good suggestion from Jac: cats are commonly found stowed away in vans! I do hope she's OK and that she's just hiding from the workmen and commotion.....

pleasehelp
03-12-2007, 11:11 AM
so there I was saturday night (major thunder and lightning storm) and I heard a cat crying - i thought it was on tv - it wasnt - she was outside the door. I let her in - I got a bit scared - her eyes were wild. she was black from head to toe and lost a load of weight. I think she got locked in somebodys coal shed on tuesday and wasn't released till saturday. She was starving, I gave her milk and food and I tried to give her a bath but she wasn't having it. She did let me sponge her with a hot soapy cloth. She has been very clingy since - she has to be on my lap, and she hasn't stopped talking since she came back. She doesn't seem to be eating much. I think she resorted to eating coal - her poo was pure black.

I have made an appt at the vet for her - I have decided she is mine now, and anyone who wants to challenge me can. After all nobody else seems to be looking after her.

I am so happy she is back.

Thank you guys for helping me.

yola
03-12-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm so pleased she came back, but poor kitty - sounds like a horrible ordeal :( ! You said you had a name for her; what is it? It would be a nice rounding off to her story to know what you have decided to call her!

pleasehelp
03-12-2007, 12:03 PM
i called her frankie - a nice unisex name (cause i still dont know what she is). :-D

yola
03-12-2007, 12:30 PM
That's a lovely name!! I hope it all works out for you both :D

pleasehelp
03-12-2007, 01:04 PM
thank you yola.

me too

Mags
03-12-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm so pleased to hear Frankie has returned to you ....... that a great name for her/him!

Please come back after you have taken Frankie to the vet as we would love to know if she/he was a male or female!:lol:

dandysmom
03-12-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm so glad Frankie came home and is being cared for! Give her a cuddle from me and do let us know if she is indeed a she.......

angieh
03-12-2007, 10:09 PM
So glad Frankie came back. I am sure half of "owning" a cat is that the cat actually "owns" you! Lovely heartwarming tale - do let us know how you get on at the vet.

random
03-12-2007, 10:40 PM
That's great news, glad she came back! Glad you are now taking care of her as your own. x

pleasehelp
05-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys

I will certainly come back and let you know if she is a he, she, or something inbetween ha ha

:-D

Grete
05-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Really glad he/she came back :) I like Frankie for a name, it's very cute :)

Hope everything goes well with you both and you do what kitty needs to make her well and safe :)

I did have the thought that sooty would be a good name too :mrgreen:

pleasehelp
13-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Frankie is a HE - I actually found out before I took him to the vet - he was cleaning himself one evening and I looked and he had his bits out - I was a bit shocked when I saw it and he was looking at me as if to say "what the hell are you looking at" :shock:

anyway he's been to the vet and had all his little check ups done and he is perfectly healthy.

his bib and four little shoes are lovely and white again after his stint in the coal shed and he is still talking talking talking.

Mags
13-12-2007, 01:25 PM
:lol: I'm pleased you've now dicovered what sex Frankie is .......... the hardest bit will now be getting used to calling him a 'he' instead of 'she'! :-D

dandysmom
13-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Good to know that he's a he! Frankie is a good unisex name anyway so it won't need changing! Pics?