PDA

View Full Version : Fur trade!

yola
28-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Got this email from our Cats Protection coordinator just now; couldn't have knocked me down with a feather - I thought it was well illegal already! Amazing what you assume but don't actually know! :shock:

To Branch Co-ordinators and staff within Cats Protection

I am absolutely delighted to be able to tell you that a new EU law has been approved today banning the production, marketing, import and export of cat and dog fur.

With kind regards,

Peter Hepburn
Chief Executive

Alan77
28-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Good news. It's why fur trading gangs in this country have been able to take cats, then sell the furs overseas, legally. There's no proof of ownership (to anyone at the receiver's end who cares) and they can go ahead and get more.

In reality it won't stop the trade, but it will make it little more difficult for these people to operate.

Elaine
28-11-2007, 09:04 PM
There are many childrens toys and also cat toys that cat/dog fur on them. Many of them from China, they mislabel them as rabbit or faux fur, dye them etc. I always stay away from those little mice for cats that have really soft fur on them for fear of it being a real pelt.
This is one of the least upsetting links I found but upsetting all the same.
http://www.all-creatures.org/aip/nl-24nov2000-vo.html

Mags
28-11-2007, 09:23 PM
That's excellent news! I read about this on the BBC website but won't post the link due to some heartbreaking pictures....:(

Elaine
28-11-2007, 09:27 PM
The link I posted doesnt have any distressing pictures, just a little info on the toys that may have real fur in the US, just posted it so that people can see that it still happens, hopefully not any more.

dandysmom
28-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Good grief! I knew this was a problem with China, but had absolutely no idea it existed outside of there. How awful..

Grete
28-11-2007, 11:56 PM
*shudder* I can't imagine anyone wanting to wear something that once graced a live and beautiful animal (and isn't a by-product of animals being killed for food, which I just about cope with).

I am careful not to buy any toys that have real fur just in case. The cats don't care if it's synthetic or not, it's all about the catnip ;)