PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow update

kado
27-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Rainbow was supposed to be castraited today. The problem started when both my alrms didnt go off. I finaly got too my brothers at 8.30 so he was realy stressed out. He jumped up the windows hid behind the chair. Rainbow realy did scratch my brother but we got him in the carrier eventually. When we go him outside to put him in the car which was only feet away he pulled the front of the carrier off and ran away. I realy feel bad that i missed my alarms and he escaped my brother also took time off from work as well i was in tears after i left that i had let my brother down. If he does decide to catch him agian he needs an industrail cage one strong enough for lions. He is one strong and determined boy. My fear now if he has too go to an homing centre because he is semi wild because of neglete they will put him to sleep and i dont want to see that happen he deserves better. Sorry that i am babbling

jane

yola
27-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Jane, sorry it all went pear shaped with Rainbow. I have found in the past that it's best to approach such things calmly without rushing - but that's an ideal scenario and not always possible (as in your case)!

Hopefully Rainbow will get up enough trust (or hunger) to come back and maybe you can both try again. He probably scratched your brother because he was terrified, I wouldn't nessecarilly class him as semi-feral just because he lashed out . . . also he'll probably be a lot more chilled once he's been done. I know the big old bruiser I took on several years back was!

kado
27-11-2007, 01:43 PM
I know is was realy freightened he probaly has never been in a carrier before. I think that he needs a carrier that opens from the top and you just drop him in it, so he cant get through the door or a proper cage for catching cats outside where they go in and you put food down and the door closes. The trouble was when he smelled the fresh air. I have never seen a cat run so fast. I am so glad that he didnt escape in the car then we would have had trouble.

jane

Grete
27-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Doh, sorry to hear about the trouble you've had :( I have to echo Yola, just because he lashed out doesn't mean he's semi-feral - Bubbles does it too - she just wants us to know she is NOT happy and she's scared.

Hopefully he will come back when he's hungry, cats aren't stupid and know which side their bread is buttered on.

If/when he does maybe try some feliway with him and in the carrier before he goes in?

dandysmom
27-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Jane, you can up-end a regular carrier and put the cat in head first; that way you can lock it before he turns around to escape. Worked for me! Are you sure the carrier was securely locked? Leia managed to break out of hers at the vet, she's also a big strong cat. Sorry you had such a difficult time; better luck next time! I'm sure Rainbow will be back when he's hungry....do keep us posted!

kado
27-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Thankyou too you all for your support. We did up end the carrier and my brother made sure it was closed and i doubled checked it. I am sure we will catch him again it will have to be in a wire basket where you just drop him into, or tape the box door so he cant get the door open. I like the suggestion about the feliway i think we might try that next time

jane