PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - abdominal pain

smudgley
26-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Yesterday & last night my 11 Yr old daughter had tummy ache, she went to bed & at 1am came in our room with pains in her tummy. She got in our bed :roll: & was kicking her legs all night & crying on & off with the pain. I called the drs when they opened & was given an afternoon appointment. When she got up, she was brighter & the pain eased throughought the morning. By 12.00 she seemed ok & I called & cancelled the appointment. She's been ok this afternoon, but since teatime she's had tummy ache again & just like last night it's getting wosre... any ideas?

angieh
26-11-2007, 10:03 PM
I am sure you will take your daughter to the doctor's tomorrow whether she seems better or not. Do let us know how she gets on.

Erin
26-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Im sorry Kelly I really dont know,but if your worried maybe take her to a&e :? poor girl,hope she feels better soon xx

Kazz
26-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Smudgley empty your PM box please.

dandysmom
26-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Smudgley, I hope it's something fairly simple like the stomach flu, and not serious like appendicitis. I'm a real worrywart, if it were I, we'd be on the way to A & E..... (((hugs)

yola
26-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Smudgely - at 11 do you think Ashleigh might be starting her cycles? I know when I was at about the same age the stomach cramps hit me really badly and frightened me (and my Mum) with their intensity.

I hope it's nothing serious - have you given her a hot water bottle to lay on her tummy to try and ease the discomfort?

Grete
27-11-2007, 12:53 AM
Smudgely - If you need to go to the doctor's tomorrow, ask for an emergency appointment - they should have a number of slots available or have a sit and wait at the end of the morning surgery and then you get seen as a doctor gets free.

If she is in a lot of pain then I would go to A&E or if you have a NHS walk in centre, that is another option.

I hope it's nothing serious but I would always err on the side of caution.

*hugs*

smudgley
27-11-2007, 01:24 PM
She had a bad night again & my husband has taken the day off to be with her. it had crossed my mind about her starting her peiods, but the pain is intense & not what I'd expect with periods.

She's been to the Dr & had a full check up. THey were in the consulting room for 25 mins. He's a lovely man (not like the miserable sod my other daughter saw yesterday, she's got tonsilitis). anyway nice Dr said, just because the pain is in the abdomen, it may be a problem elsewhere like an ear infection etc, so a full exam was done, ruled out appendisitis (sp) & not the start of periods..... Turns out she's constipated. :roll: we did discuss this with her yesterday & wondered if that may be the problem! So she's been prescribed liquorice sweets & orange juice to get rid of the "problem"

yola
27-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Poor love :( still, you know it's nothing major which is good! Prune juice is superb for gently getting things moving; tastes yummy too :D

kado
27-11-2007, 01:48 PM
My daughter who is nearly 11 goes through exactly the same problem. She gets constipated and complains of belly ache. The stuff that she has beign given is great stuff and works.

Hope she feels better soon

jane

Mags
27-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Pleased to hear it was nothing too serious Smudgley, and I hope things start moving soon...

dandysmom
27-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Glad it was nothing major; you must be so relieved.....

Grete
27-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Great news Smudgely, hope she's feeling more comfortable soon :)

Kim
27-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Hope she soon gets moving Smudgley - glad it's nothing more serious. Glad it's not the start of her monthlies either, I think 11 is too young!!!

Donna
27-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Glad it turned out to be nothing serious. Sean, my son suffered with bad stomach problems for about a year on and off. he ended up having xrays at hospital to find he had a blocked intestine due to severe constipation.... it can be seriously bad....

Doctors decided he had anxiety related IBS which has now gone, but the medication that was prescribed to clear him was called Movicol - drink solutions.... they worked well. Hope you have been given something like this to get things moving. It is not laxative, but a drink that hydrates inside the intestine to soften things...