PDA

View Full Version : What litter do you use?

Tinker
22-11-2007, 10:48 AM
What cat litter does everyone use?

We currently use a clay based one from the supermarket, but I am not convinced that Tinker approves as she never buries her poo (maybe she is lazy and expects me to bury it for her?).

I tried to find a finer grained more sandy type one at the local feed shop, but couldn't find anything finer.

We went to visit "our" kittens recently at a local kennels (where the RSPCA are keeping them with their Mum until they are ready for weaning) and they use a litter which looks similar to some of the wood based pellets, but is made from pelleted hay. I was really impressed that in a large building with many pens of cats there was no smell of cat pee, so would like to try some of that type of litter, but the lady who runs the kennels thinks it is only available wholesale.

Mags
22-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Here's a previous thread on Cat litter which you may find helpful

......http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=17556&highlight=What+litter+do+you+use

I've always used Thomas litter for Cassie and sometimes she'll bury her poo and other times she won't!:roll: Depends what mood she is in I think!!:-D

Fran
22-11-2007, 01:21 PM
I've now switched over to Yesterday's News litter, it's recycled newspaper pellets. I was using wood based pellets but it tracked all over the house, I really like the newspaper litter but it's certainly not the cheapest litter around!

Kazz
22-11-2007, 01:26 PM
I used to use Thomas many years ago over 20 but having to return to cat litter when Cleo was older ie last year I changed to Catsan and it worked brilliantly, not cheapest around but I found it brilliant.

Karen

Moli
22-11-2007, 03:34 PM
I also use Catstan, really find it good......

charliebubs
22-11-2007, 03:55 PM
I use Oko Plus and Worlds Best.

Worlds Best is a finer, sand like one, but it's not cheap.

I think that both are good value though and both are flushable.

My Kuta has never and will never buried her poo :roll: She stays in the tray for ages after a wee frantically trying to cover that up, but with a poo she's in and out in moments without even a slight covering!! I can always tell when Kuta has poo'd the minute I walk downstairs :roll:

yola
22-11-2007, 04:09 PM
I use catsan too. The cats are used to it and it clumps nicely. I understand that alpha cats will not bury their poo as a sign of being 'top cat'. All other cats will. That's certainly been the case in our household with ol stinky-butt Balie piling his up on a mound and all the others burying theirs :shock:

angieh
22-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Tinker, you might like to read some of the comments in this thread I posted maybe for a different reason. I have been using Catsan, but have just switched to Bio Catolet. So far, no complaints from my cat. The Bio Cat does smell pine-like!

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=24580

borderdawn
22-11-2007, 05:31 PM
I use Pettex usually, sometimes wood pellets.

sammy
22-11-2007, 05:57 PM
On a related subject.............someone on another messageboard I visit is having trouble with her blind cat eating the cat litter :shock:

Any ideas why he would do that or how to stop him? She is obviously worried that it could do him serious harm.....:?

Tanya
22-11-2007, 06:02 PM
I use Catsan and Oli seems happy with it.

kado
23-11-2007, 11:39 AM
I started on catsan then Thomas then a friend gave me a bag of sophisicat and its brilliant i get a big bag of it now

jane

charliebubs
23-11-2007, 02:34 PM
I use catsan too. The cats are used to it and it clumps nicely. I understand that alpha cats will not bury their poo as a sign of being 'top cat'. All other cats will. That's certainly been the case in our household with ol stinky-butt Balie piling his up on a mound and all the others burying theirs :shock:

I never knew that Yola - it's really interesting. I guess it would make sense in my household as Kuta was the first baby, but having seen her interaction with the other cats I wouldn't have said that she was the top cat - I would say that was Abi (as she is the one that tends to bully a little bit) but then what would I know!!!!! lol :lol: :shock: :roll: