PDA

View Full Version : Bliss' & Mildred's babies....

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Fran
21-11-2007, 10:06 PM
I've decided to start a new thread for a couple of reasons. 1) because I've put the babies all in the big kitten pen together, mainly because Mildred kept moving hers in with Bliss' :roll: and the babies will all now be brought up together and 2) the sadness of losing Mildred's little baby, I thought it appropriate to close that thread and leave it be and hopefully this will be a new beginning for us all not tinged by the sadness of losing 'Inky'.

So here's their first few hours all together. Mildred is much happier that everyone is now all together, I don't think Bliss was bothered one way or another but has accepted the situation quite happily..

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h242/chapelrose/sharing0001_5.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h242/chapelrose/sharing0001_4.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h242/chapelrose/sharing0001_3.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h242/chapelrose/sharing0001_2.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h242/chapelrose/sharing0001_1.jpg

The kittens 'shared' their mums anyhow and Bliss' babies really needed more space to stretch their legs. So far so good, fingers crossed...

Elaine
21-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Aww bless them:D
I am so sorry to read about little Inky, here's to new beginings though xxx

Jac
21-11-2007, 10:10 PM
That has to be one of the cutest things I have seen Fran.
They look great.

Erin
21-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Great piccies Fran,they all look very happy together :D

dandysmom
21-11-2007, 10:49 PM
I think it's wonderful the way they're sharing motherhood duties! Adorable pics of the wee ones....

Moli
21-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Simply gorgeous......

Mags
21-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Those have to be the best pics I've seen of mums and babies, Fran ........ how nice that they share each others kittens like that....:)

Kay
22-11-2007, 12:02 AM
They all look so settled together mums and babies. Lovely pics.

Grete
22-11-2007, 12:54 AM
They are just beautiful pics - I just love them :) Bliss and Mildred are looking so good and really happy and content :)

Fran
22-11-2007, 04:01 AM
A tragic turn of events, very suddenly this evening Mildred was taken ill..She has been rushed to hospital and is suffering with eclampsia and is as we speak on a drip and is very, very ill. I'm trying to find a foster mum for her babies as they are not wanting the supplement feeds and there are just too many babies for Bliss to take on. Please keep your fingers crossed for Mildred, she really is very ill. I'll update when I have more news in the morning

dandysmom
22-11-2007, 04:08 AM
OMG, Fran, no! I am so so sorry......healing vibes coming!!

Grete
22-11-2007, 06:45 AM
Fran, I am just in pieces for you, what an awful thing to happen :(

Come on Mildred, you can pull through this, your babies and your mummy need you!

Sending you all healing and comfort vibes
*hugs*

Fran
22-11-2007, 10:15 AM
I've heard from the vet, she's still with us and a little more alert but is not up on her feet. They will run some bloods this morning and try her with food. Mildred's breeder has 2 queens with milk and babies just weaned, I'm taking her babies round after lunch, please keep your fingers crossed that the queens accept them.

Kazz
22-11-2007, 10:51 AM
I hope the Queens take to the babies too Fran and hope Mildred is on the mend.Fingers crossed this end, very worrying bussiness this breeding lark.....hope all turns out for the best.

yola
22-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Fran love, you must be SO worried . . . I will be keeping all possible digits crossed for Mildred and that her babies are looked after at the breeders.

random
22-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Oh Fran i'm so sorry to hear this, and after everything. I don;t really know what to say but hoping that the kittens are accepted by their foster mummies, poor things. You must be beside yourself. x

Mags
22-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Oh Fran, what an awful thing to happen!:shock: ......fingers crossed here for Mildred and for the babies with their new foster mum. x

Fran
22-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Have just heard from the vet, Mildred is at last up on her feet. Blood tests have revealed that as well as the eclampsia she has some sort of infection somewhere too, so they pumping her with AB's and she is still on the drip. She won't eat yet but the vet feels she is going in the right direction and is pleased with her progress.

Mil's breeder and I have decided that it would be better to foster out Bliss' babies and let Bliss raise Mils, as another week and Bliss' babies can be weaned, they are also much bigger and stronger to cope with the change. I'm taking them round this afternoon, so fingers crossed all goes well.

Breeding is very hard at times, I knew and accepted the risks when I decided to do it. I've been very unlucky as eclampsia is rather rare in cats, being more common in dogs. Despite knowing and accepting the risks associated with breeding, it doesn't make it any easier when serious problems like this occur. I'm an emotional wreck at the minute, I really thought I was going to loose her last night, I've never been so frightened in all my life :(

Thank you all for your kind messages, it really does help a lot x

Mags
22-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Your vet's news sounds a lot more promising now Fran, thank goodness for that!
That seems the ideal situation for Mildred's babies but won't Bliss miss her own?

Sometimes it must make you wonder if it's all worthwhile :?

Wishing both mums and babies well....

Tinker
22-11-2007, 01:24 PM
oh crikey, I hope Mildred and the kittens are all OK.

Fran
22-11-2007, 01:25 PM
That seems the ideal situation for Mildred's babies but won't Bliss miss her own?

Because they share the babies, I think she will be fine with Mil's. I've taken her babies away from her and put them in a room where she cannot hear them until I take them to the breeder. It's only when she can hear them she gets stressed. She is at present cuddled up feeding Mil's babies. She is missing Mil more than anything, she keeps looking at me as if to say 'where is she?' :(

borderdawn
22-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Poor girlie, Im pleased she is doing better.

I know its more common in very young Queens and those that have large litters, its something to do with the calcium levels in the blood? My friends Dobe had it, she wasnt a young bitch, she was 3 but it was her first litter, she had 12 puppies. The Vet advised she was never bred from again, (she wouldnt of been anyway) with the liklihood of another large litter etc.. and at the time he said bitches are more likely to get it again if they have had it before. I remember rushing round trying as you have done, to find a bitch with puppies! 4 went onto a Springer, 4 went onto a rescued mongrel in a foster home having a phantom, and 4 were hand reared by the breeder.

Im sure now Mildred is responding she will be fine, she has always looked in great condition. Have they said when she can come home?

Fran
22-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks Dawn, yes it's a drain on the calcium levels in the body usually due to feeding a large litter. It's a very acute condition that comes on frighteningly quickly and can be fatal in a very short space of time. There's no way that Mildred will ever have another litter, this will be her first and her last.

The vet could not say when she would be allowed home, he feels she needs to be more stable than she is right now and showing interest in eating. I'll update when I have more news

borderdawn
22-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks Dawn, yes it's a drain on the calcium levels in the body usually due to feeding a large litter. It's a very acute condition that comes on frighteningly quickly and can be fatal in a very short space of time. There's no way that Mildred will ever have another litter, this will be her first and her last.

The vet could not say when she would be allowed home, he feels she needs to be more stable than she is right now and showing interest in eating. I'll update when I have more news

She is in the best place Fran. I can imagine how scary it was for you, my friend rang me just 3hrs after I had left and said Saffy was in the vets and they thought she wouldnt make it. Mildred sounds to be recovering, Im sure she will be home when she starts talking to them! :) try not to worry, I think she is over the worst.

Forgot to tell you, 2 of the pups that were reared by the rescue mongrel got made into champions!!

Moli
22-11-2007, 03:41 PM
So very sorry to read this PK, healing vibes being sent to Mildred,fingers crossed the foster mum accepts the kittens.......Thoughts with you all....xx

charliebubs
22-11-2007, 03:52 PM
OMG Fran - I'm so so sorry to hear about poor Mil. I can't imagine how worried you must be. She is in the best place for her though and thank goodness Bliss has happily taken on her babies.

My thoughts are with you and Mil. Lots of love and hugs. Let us know how Bliss's babies are doing with their foster mum too.

xxxx

Donna
22-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Sorry to hear all this sad news... just hope they all make it through. Fingers crossed here x

Fran
22-11-2007, 05:31 PM
It's not great news at the minute, she has developed a very high temperature, her blood count for infection is sky high. They have done an ultrasound of her womb to check for anything untoward there and cannot find anything obvious. They have started her on some aggresive antibiotics and meds to bring down her temp. I'll update as I have news. I'm terribly worried :(

The babies seemed to have settled well with their new foster mummys, fingers crossed that they continue to thrive.

Thank you for all your kind messages.

MrsH
22-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Goodness, what a frightening turn of events, you must be absolutely beside yourself with worry. I hope Mildred rallies quickly.

Kazz
22-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Best wishes Fran.

Grete
22-11-2007, 07:36 PM
I have everything crossed for Mildred and all the kittens, and lots of virtual hugs for you Fran, I can't imagine what you are going through right now.

Stay strong *hugs*

Jac
22-11-2007, 07:42 PM
OMG Fran. Poor you!! I really cant add anything to what has been said. Sending healing vibes by the bucket load. Love Jac xx

Elaine
22-11-2007, 08:11 PM
All my love and best wishes to you, the cats and the kittens and especially Mil' xxx

Fran
22-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Spoke to the vet nurse a short while ago. Mildred's temp has come down a lot although it's still not normal they are much happier with her., they've stabilized her calcium levels. She's eaten, used the litter and is starting to chat to the staff. They have fallen in love with her and are spending every spare minute of their time giving her cuddles :roll: She certainly knows how to wrap everyone around her little finger :lol: I'm just pleased that she is conscious and aware as she was so 'flat' last night when we left her :( They are concerned that she is so very full of milk and obviously worried about the risk of mastitis, so they will review in the morning as to whether they might give her somthing to dry her milk up. Fingers crossed she is over the worst and her temp returns to normal..

sarahd
22-11-2007, 10:36 PM
OMG Fran I am so sorry to be reading this thread.
I only wish i had seen it sooner as I would have been more than happy for you to have tried some of Mildred's babies with Mia and her two little boys. I am sure she would have accepted them.
If you do need help with any of them please contact me and I will do my best with Mia for you and the babies.
Sending healing vibes your way for Mildred and the kittens with their foster mums

Sarah
x

Elaine
22-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Thankyou for keeping us posted Fran, must be very worrying for you. Hopefully the worst is now over and she will make a good and hasty recovery now.
Love and best wishes as always xxx

Fran
22-11-2007, 10:42 PM
OMG Fran I am so sorry to be reading this thread.
I only wish i had seen it sooner as I would have been more than happy for you to have tried some of Mildred's babies with Mia and her two little boys. I am sure she would have accepted them.
If you do need help with any of them please contact me and I will do my best with Mia for you and the babies.
Sending healing vibes your way for Mildred and the kittens with their foster mums

Sarah
x

Thank you so much Sarah, I would have taken you up on your offer of help if I hadn't already sorted something out. we decided that it would be best to foster out Bliss' babies as they are bigger and stronger and nearer to weaning and Bliss has happily taken on Mil's. They have gone to Mil's breeder who has 2 queens who's kittens are literally just weaned but still have milk. I spoke to her a short while ago and the mums and babies are fine together and the babies have been feeding and seem very settled, so fingers crossed. Thanks again Sarah, that's really kind of you x

dandysmom
22-11-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm hoping the worst is over too, Fran. Healing vibes still coming, and I'm so pleased Bliss is taking care of the babies.

sarahd
22-11-2007, 10:45 PM
You are very welcome Fran and the offer is there if you need it. I know how hard it is when these things happen and babies need to go to foster mum's.

I am so glad that Mil's babies are settled and doing well with their foster mummy.

You take care and try not to worry to much or you will end up being ill too

sarah
x

borderdawn
22-11-2007, 10:56 PM
:smt023 :smt023 :smt023 :smt023 :-D

Mags
22-11-2007, 11:51 PM
So pleased you had a better report this evening Fran, hopefully Mildred will go on from strength to strength and be back home where she belongs very soon.. (((hugs))) x

Moli
23-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Good to hear Mildred is recovering PK, she will have them all wrapped round her paws.....

Grete
23-11-2007, 06:50 AM
I'm so pleased she is on the mend!! Hope she continues well and is back home soon :)

Brilliant news also that the foster mums have taken to the kittens :)

Fran
23-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Good news this morning, Mildred's temperature is back to normal. They are going to monitor it for a couple of hours and give me a ring later. I've just heard from her breeder and Bliss' babies are doing fine. I'm hoping we've turned a corner, fingers crossed. Thank you for all your good wishes x

Jac
23-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Fran that's great news. I hope you get her home today. (((((((((())))))))) hugs.

yola
23-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Excellent news Fran!!! I hope Mildred makes a 100% recovery and is home later today - I bet you miss her!

Erin
23-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Thats great news Fran,have everything crossed here that she is well enough to be home with you later xxx

borderdawn
23-11-2007, 11:46 AM
The best news!!! GO Mildred!!

Kazz
23-11-2007, 11:49 AM
That is great news Fran, kinda made my day. :)

random
23-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Great news Fran, pleased to here she feels better!

Mags
23-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Great news Fran, that phone call must have come as a big relief to you...:D

I hope it won't be long before Mildred is allowed home...:D

Kay
23-11-2007, 01:14 PM
So glad Mildred has turned the corner.

Eclampsia is so uncommon in cats, not like dogs, and the speed it comes on is so rapid and because of this so often it is fatal. Mildred is obviously such a strong fighter and the quickness that you got her to the vets made her recovery so much morepromising.

Well done Fran for your quick thinking.

Give Mil a big hug from Auntie Kay when she gets home and {{{{hugs}}}} to you and Martyn. I wish I could have come over that night but with waiting for Jilly you know how it is.

Fran
23-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Well I have good news - she's coming home at tea time :smt041 I'll update further when I have spoken to the vet and she is home :D

Kay, I would never have expected you to travel all that way to me, that really is up and beyond the call of friendship! You have kept me sane through all this, always on the other end of the phone for me when I felt so desperate and for that I am truely grateful x

Kay
23-11-2007, 01:26 PM
It was nothing. I know what it is like and I have always had Yvette at the end of the phone. You know where I am anytime.

Mags
23-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Wonderful news Fran! :smt026

MrsH
23-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Terrific news! You must be over the moon to have her back where she belongs.

charliebubs
23-11-2007, 02:28 PM
That's such fantastic news Fran. I look forward to hearing that she's home safe and sound this afternoon.

I'm pleased that Bliss' babies are doing so well too.

Lots of love to you and the family.
xx

yola
23-11-2007, 03:02 PM
That's SUCH good news Fran - and Kay, you are a true mate.

borderdawn
23-11-2007, 03:11 PM
What fab news, I expect she is nagging them to death now she feels better!

Jac
23-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Fran that is good news. I'm so pleased for both you and Mildred.
Once she's home I'll bet she will be back to full strength in no time.

Kazz
23-11-2007, 04:44 PM
She'll be home soon then so pleased.

dandysmom
23-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Wonderful news, Fran! You must be so relieved......

Jac
23-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Nearly time Fran:smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 she'll be home soon:D

sammy
23-11-2007, 06:20 PM
I keep forgetting to come to this section, so I've only just seen this - my God Fran, how absolutely terrifying for you!

I'm so glad she's come through it and will be home with you soon.......:-)

Kay
23-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Is she home yet Fran? If so I bet Bliss was pleased to see her not to mention you, Martyn and the kids.

Donna
23-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Good news - what a relief for everyone!!

Grete
23-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Great news she is coming home :) I bet Bliss will be beside herself to see her :)

angieh
23-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Great news Fran! Mildred has been in my thoughts. Hope you bring her home really soon.

Elaine
23-11-2007, 08:16 PM
I am so very pleased Fran. Hugs all round xxx:D

smudgley
23-11-2007, 08:35 PM
So glad she has brightened up Fran.
Is she home now?
Hope everything is ok.

Kazz
23-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Is she home yet?

Fran
23-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks all, yes she is home. She's eating and drinking but something is niggling me about her :? Her and Bliss were so pleased to be reunited. She seemed really confused to see her babies, like she's almost accepted she no longer has any and her milk has almost dried up. The vet says if her milk comes back in she is only allowed to nurse 2 babies maximum, so I need to keep an eye on that. She's on two different types of antibiotics and has a return vet visit Monday morning, obviously she will go back before then if she deteriorates. She is presently curled up on one side of the kitten pen with two of her babies whilst Bliss is nursing the others at the other side. She seems exhausted but after her ordeal I suppose it's to be expected, my vet says we have been very lucky as even they were worried she wouldn't pull through :( I'll update on her progress in the morning. Thank you all for yo xur very good wishes

Moli
23-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Pleased to hear she is home PK, she will probably recover much better with her mum, and in her own surroundings...

Jac
23-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Fran fingers crossed she wont look back now she's home.

Mags
23-11-2007, 10:37 PM
So pleased she is home with you again Fran....... with what she has been through, it's no wonder she's confused about the kittens.:?

She will begin to feel better now she is home and in her own surroundings....... give her gentle strokes and cuddles from me...:)

dandysmom
23-11-2007, 10:40 PM
So pleased she's home. I do hope she continues to improve; that apparently was a close call! Thanks for the update.......healing vibes still coming.

borderdawn
23-11-2007, 10:59 PM
So pleased you have her home. I expect she wont be 100% for a while after what she has gone through. Give her some time, Im sure she will come through.
dawn.

yola
24-11-2007, 12:07 AM
What's niggling Fran? It could be that's she's just weak and confused as to repeated change in surroundings. If there's still any doubt tomorrow morning, maybe speak to the vet and see if they can identify any warning signs.

Hopefully it's just you being a good kitty-ma and being over-cautious.

Kay
24-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Glad Mil is back home where she belongs. I think the niggling feeling is only to be expected with what you have been through with her over the past few days. Give her a bit of time in her own surroundings and I am sure she will be fine. She must be really confused with what has gone on. I know how I feel when I have had a fit. It takes me a couple of days to come round properly and eyes and hearing don't react the same at first. The most frightening is the total loss of memory it is so scarey so imagine what she is feeling as she had everything else to cope with not just a fit.

You know where I am, the phone is next to the bed so don't worry about ringing.

Grete
24-11-2007, 09:01 AM
So glad she is back home :) Hopefully she is just feeling a bit out of sorts with change in environment after being so poorly and poor thing might not be quite 100% too. It must be confusing for her too to be back amongst her kittens again too.

Hope she continues to get well and settles back in, I'm sure Bliss will help :)

Fran
24-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Well, we had a settled night, I'm happier with her this morning. She's eaten and drunk well throughout the night. Her milk is coming back in and I'm concerned now because she is not happy nursing just the two kittens, she wants them all. Bliss is so easy going and will take a back seat to let her. So if I can't restrict her to just the two babies in the big pen with Bliss, I might be forced to seperate them for a little while. It's still early days but so far so good, fingers crossed.

Yola - there was nothing specific making me feel concerned. I just couldn't put my finger on what was niggling me and whilst I am less niggled this morning, I don't feel 100% about her just yet. Hope I'm just being paranoid and expecting too much too soon :?

Tinker
24-11-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm glad Mildred is back home and improving.

Jac
24-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Fran I'm so please that she's doing better this morning. Stop worrying woman!!! Sounds like she will be fine. A bit stubborn like her Mum but that's not always a bad thing;)

Elaine
24-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Glad she is home and more settled Fran. I hope your little niggles dont come to anything more than that. Hugs to you all xxx

Kazz
24-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Glad she's home and feeling well enough to feed the kittens (even if only two) but I would think she will settle much better and sooner having her babies and somewhere to g to ie the box and of course having her "mate" Bliss on hand.

Karen

MrsH
24-11-2007, 12:32 PM
So glad to hear she's back and hopefully going from strength to strength.

Mags
24-11-2007, 12:49 PM
So glad Mildred feels more settled this morning Fran, every day you will see an improvement with her now. It's good to hear that she is up to feeding her kittens again too ...... she will definitely feel more relaxed with hew family around her..:D

How about you? I bet you stayed up most of the night checking her, Fran:? ....... make sure you catch up on your rest too...;)

Fran
24-11-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm ok thanks Mags, yes I spent most of the night watching over her but I think my body has got used to not having hardly any sleep now. My main concern is that the eclampsia will return, I know she is only nursing two kittens but it has been known to occur in smaller litters too. The vet didn't feel it necessary to supplement her with calcium but I think I'd feel easier if she was having calcium supplementation. She has a check up on Monday morning, I'll see what the vet thinks then. I still feel she has some slight neurological symtoms of the eclampsia. Fingers crossed she continues to pick up and that it doesn't re-occur.

charliebubs
24-11-2007, 02:34 PM
I'm so pleased to hear that she's home Fran and wanting her babies back. She has been through a lot (as have you) and I'm sure that she will get better a little every day. Try not to worry too much, the vet must know what he/she is doing and if they don't think she needs calcium supplements then that must be right. It's only natural for you to worry, but you have to put your faith in them. They want what's best for Mil too.

I hope she goes from strength to strength. Give her a little cuddle from me.

You know where I am if I can do anything to help too.
xx

borderdawn
24-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Its early days yet, she sounds to be improving Fran.

dandysmom
24-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Relieved to hear the good news! You can't help but worry, she's your baby, but I hope the niggling suspicions are unwarranted......and do try to get some rest yourself!

EmmaG
24-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Good to hear she is back home Fran :) I hope she continues to improve :)

sarahd
25-11-2007, 12:06 AM
So glad to be reading this good news and that Mildred is now back home where she belongs and in familiar surroundings.

You take care

Sarah
x

Kay
25-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Glad Mil is going from strength to strength. Your doing a brilliant job. Chin up. {{{{HUGS}}}} to everyone.

Fran
25-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Thanks all, she still seems to be doing well. I'll feel happier when I have had her check up with the vet in the morning. Thanks you all for your good wishes. I'll try and get some new piccies of the kittens soon.

smudgley
25-11-2007, 10:13 AM
great news.:)

sammy
25-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Very glad to hear she's continuing to improve Fran! It's quite natural to worry after such a frightening experience...

Mags
25-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Glad to hear Mildred is continuing to improve Fran.....

Fran
25-11-2007, 08:32 PM
A couple of piccies....

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h242/chapelrose/Mildreds12days0001_1.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h242/chapelrose/Mildreds12days0001_2.jpg

The only girl out of both litters :roll:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h242/chapelrose/Mildreds12days0001.jpg

MrsH
25-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Wonderful photos, I especially love the first one. Doesn't that "shared" family look gorgeous! What a relief Mildred is doing so much better.