PDA

View Full Version : Moving into Parents

Cairns&Whisky
20-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Hi everyone,

Not been on here for ages.

Lots have changed since then.

First things first, cats seem to be getting on better and Whisky now obeys to the repellent that i spray on a towel on the window sill to stop her from clawing wanting out. She goes to the sofa instead and we all get a good nights sleep.

However, back in September my boyfriend announced that he wanted to go his own way - after 9 years - so on thursday this week i'm eventually moving back to my parents (pet free [no longer]) house.

Any suggestions on the best way to settle them in gently? The cats that is, my parents, i think, are ready for them.

I've purchased a plug in hormone "airfreshner" thing so i'll be plugging that in very soon.

I'm just hoping that Whisky doesn't claw the hell out of my parents doors or windows...fingers crossed. i'll have the repellent at hand and spray as soon as she's made her mark.

Lisa
xxxxx

Grete
20-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Hiya Lisa,

Sorry to hear about your breakup :( That really sucks :(

As for settling the cats in - The most important thing to them to help them settle will be you ;) Since you are going too, that will help the most :-D

I would also get their tray and food into the places they will be permanently, as soon as you can so there won't be any confusion once they have used them a few times.

The feliway is a great idea and also maybe get them sleeping on a few blankets or towels (or even your own clothing) which you can then put in places they will be able to sleep etc so their scent is already present.

Cats are very adaptable and should settle down quite quickly. Good luck :)

Kazz
20-11-2007, 05:13 PM
I'd put your stuff in the room that will be yours, then bring the cats in and let them in there litter tray and all then after a day or so let them loose. Cats are og so adaptable seriously the biggest issue you will have is getting you Parents to remember the cats are yours when you come to leave.

Karen

Kay
21-11-2007, 11:10 PM
I can't add anymore than has already been said but wish you all the best.

Cairns&Whisky
07-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks for your advice. Seems to have worked. That's been 2 weeks and they're both settled in better than i thought they would. Whisky my timid cat stays in my bedroom majority of the time but she's fine when i'm around.

Only problem now is Cairns is sulking with me, it's obvious he's wanting outside, I'm going to wait another 2 weeks before I let them out. Don't want them to even attempt the 25 mile walk back to my old home.

xxxxxx

Jac
07-12-2007, 03:07 PM
So glad things have worked out on the cat front. I think your being wise not letting Cairns out just yet.
I hope we will see more of you now:D . It really is a good place with friendly people.
Look forward to chatting soon.