PDA

View Full Version : Merlin has had his cyst drained!

angieh
19-11-2007, 07:51 PM
My old Merlin (21 years old - some of you will know him!) has been to the vet this afternoon. He has had a cyst on his face now for a couple of years which needs draining, especially when he starts scratching at it. Obviously, he is too old to have it surgically removed.

I saw a young woman who is new to me at the vets and asked her if this was something I could do at home. She demonstrated very carefully the procedure and I have come home armed with antiseptic wash and needles. It seems very straightforward and will save me a lot of money IF I can bring myself to stick a needle into my dear old mog!!! I've got a couple of weeks before I have to think about doing it.

Meanwhile, he is back to his handsome self so I must take some up to date pix!

:cat22

Moli
19-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Its amazing what you can do if its for a pet.....Pleased to here Merlin is more comfortable now.....

Grete
20-11-2007, 11:12 AM
You can do it :) Just have to be confident when piercing it - one quick firm prick is better than a few squeamish attempts. Maybe practice on an orange first to get a feel for how skin can feel (has a similar resistance).

*hugs*

Engine 88
20-11-2007, 09:11 PM
I like to hear about geriatric cats and that they are still going strong.I had a Maine Coon that I lost in January of this year.Up until the day we lost him at 16 he was just as sweet as ever. My son has his playmate ,a manx , he is 16 1/2 has been treated for cancer .They peeled half his face back cleaned it out and sewed it back you would never know it.He is also on thyroid treatments.He is also a cat with a great temperment and is still as sweet as ever. :)

babycakes
21-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Hope Merlin is feeling better soon

angieh
21-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks for kind thoughts and messages. I will try with the orange first, Grete. I remember a friend of mine who told me that's how nurses were trained to give injections oh, umpty upm years ago, wonder if they still do it today. Glad to hear about your son's manx Engine88 (how did you get that handle?). I do wonder sometimes at the lack of choice owners have in relation to food for the older cat, as I am sure the population of older cats increases due to better general care and advances in veterinary medicine. Thyroid and renal failure seem to be common problems - I lost my cat Smudge to overactive thyroid.

Kay
22-11-2007, 12:15 AM
I am sure you will be able to do what is needed to make things better for Merlin. Can't wait for the new pics of the handsome fella.

angieh
22-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Here is a photo of Merlin. You can see the cyst "sac" on the left side of his face just under his ear. Poor old guy - it's already starting to fill up again.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/merl.jpg

Thanks for all your kind comments. I'll let you know how I get on when I make my first attempt at draining it for him.

:shock:

Grete
22-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Awww poor boy, he looks good for his age tho!!

Is it not possible to remove the cyst sac under a mild sedative + local anasthetic rather than knocking him right out?

I get sebacious cysts in my scalp that have to be removed when they start getting too large and that's just done using local anasthetic, I didn't feel a thing. They key is to get the 'shell' out so it can heal properly rather than just refilling.

Anyway, you will do fine with the draining cos you love him :)

angieh
22-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Nice thought, Grete. The vet has not suggested this and I expect he would get very panicky as he would not understand what was happening. Sorry to hear you have to go through it though.

I meant Merlin would get panicky, not the vet!

Grete
23-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Nice thought, Grete. The vet has not suggested this and I expect he would get very panicky as he would not understand what was happening. Sorry to hear you have to go through it though.

I meant Merlin would get panicky, not the vet!

Lol I knew what you meant but I did have a brief vision of a vet running round the room going 'is it meant to do that???'

My cyst removals are fine, done by one of the doctors at my practice as minor surgery. Doesn't hurt at all and is midly fascinating when the shell comes out... that's all I'm going to say ;)

Fran
23-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Gorgeous boy!! I'm sure you will be fine aspirating the cyst, once you've done it the first time it'll get easier.

angieh
08-03-2008, 05:42 PM
I've brought this thread back because it reminds me of the timescale behind this cyst and because of a story I heard at my chiropodist last Thursday.

I see that I said right at the beginning of the thread that Merlin is too old for an operation to remove the cyst. I am beginning to wonder. Mrs H (not Catsey's MrsH) told me that her son will do anything for his animals and his cat, aged 22, had two cancerous growths, one on his head and the other on his leg. Both his wife and the vet thought it kinder to pts, but the man was having none of it - talked it through with vet who advised that if cat died under anaesthetic, man would still have to pay for op. Man said pah .... my cat deserves all you can do for him (or suchlike). Op went ahead, cat was fine and now has a new lease of life and is running about like a young cat.

Not long after the last post by Fran (as above) Merlin's cyst was just about ready for me to try my first drain, but he ripped it open. I have to say the smell was not nice. The cyst has been running ever since. I bath it regularly but it does goo all over the place and sometimes when he shakes his head the stuff flies about. (Sorry this is the grotty bit). I am now seriously considering whether I should get the cyst removed.

Was "the man" just very courageous on behalf of his cat and am I being cowardly? Have to say that Merlin doesn't seem to mind gooing everywhere, it's not as if he's in pain with it or at least I don't think he is.

What do you think - is it worth the risk?

babycakes
08-03-2008, 08:41 PM
I have to say it is a very difficult question.
I think that hero stories are just that. We tell them because they explain adverse reactions to the norm. But the world is full of them and they are great to lift our moods.
How do you feel in your gut? Do you think Merlin could handle the stress really, do you think he could handle the anaesthetic? Could you handle it if he died under these conditions? Would you be kicking yourself if you thought "I could have just continued to do the daily clean of his cyst"
Strange things also happen during an op and there is risk with any operation but much much greater for an older cat who is frail before as their hearts cant handle the anaesthetic in their bodies.
You know your cat Angie but I don't think anyone would be able to tell you to go for it Sorry X

yola
08-03-2008, 08:51 PM
It's almost an impossible one to calculate Ang. Merlin could be fine, could pull through without a hitch, or alternatively he might not. I had an FIV cat that didn't make it through a routine dental. However, with Ferdy it was a matter of time and if that hadn't done for him something else would as his immunity was breaking down.

The one thing to consider is the risk of the weeping cyst becoming infected. Is that a possibility? If so, consider the fact that Merlin might not be strong enough to fight the infection . . .

There is no right answer, and as you know Merlin almost as well as you know yourself only you can make that decision - it's not easy but I know you will make the one that is right for him.

angieh
08-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks for your views both of you - they mirror much of what I feel - what if he died just having a cyst removed? A cancerous tumour being removed is something life threatening in itself. As to infection, I do keep a careful eye on it Yola. I try to bathe it with Hibiscrub every day. Merlin is nearly always really good about that and I do have his head really close to mine while I am doing it - I'm sure I'd catch any smell of infection or see a change in the cyst sac.

I just don't want to look back and think that I could have got rid of the cyst and he wouldn't have been carrying that with him in his autumn days - without good reason that it.

dandysmom
08-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Angie, that is a real dilemma. Have you discussed this at all with your vet? While he doesn't know Merlin as well as you do, he might be able to give you an assessment from the professional side as to the risks of either decision....a little more data might make it easier for you to make a choice....(((hugs)))!

angieh
12-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Hello again to all Merlin's Catsey friends.

I need to tell you the continuing saga about the cyst - history as above, which is why I'm reviving this thread so that you can remind yourself of what's already happened. Previously on Merlin's cyst ..........

After reading the above, I realised that I have never actually attempted to drain it at all. Somewhere back in the thread, you may see (if you're sticking with this!) that before I could do anything, Merlin tore it open himself. Well, ever since then it's been weeping/oozing or gooing in differing quantities and lately has been getting quite bad. I do bathe it for him every day and keep a close eye so that I know it's not getting infected. Anyway, this afternoon I screwed up my courage and thought if I could relieve the pressure, perhaps it wouldn't weep so much. This is the first time that I have actually managed to get OH to help by holding Merlin down for me that manage to get a good look at the underside of the cyst. Anyway I scrubbed up and went in with the sterile needle etc and my, did it bleed! But strangely it did not seem to bleed from the puncture mark I had made, but from the opening underneath that Merlin made for himself. That is very curious as it is like a cross and that's where all the stuff seems to come from and shows no sign of healing. Anyway bleeding stopped, Merlin seems fine and has eaten all his supper.

Can I ask therefore - is it best that the cyst discharges through the aperture or would it be better for that to be sutured and for the pressure to build up again inside the cyst?

Not sure if the above is clear or not. Will read through before posting! But what do you think???

dandysmom
12-06-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm afraid I know too little about that to even dream of offering a suggestion. I would call my vet and see what he has to say....... (((hugs))) to you both!

Elaine
12-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Oh dear, I'm really not sure Angie, perhaps a quick chat to the vets would be best, I haven't ever dealt with draining cysts to be of any more help but i do send lots of love and cuddles to that dear old kitty xxx

angieh
13-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Just to update - I'm taking Merlin to the vet at 4.30 this p.m. Will let you know the outcome. He seems fine today in other respects.

Mags
13-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Hope all goes well with Merlin at the vets later Angie..:)

yola
13-06-2008, 02:28 PM
I think the vet is the best bet in this case Angie. Not much advice I can offer; but hope the experts can help!

dandysmom
13-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Fingers crossed for dear Merlin at the vets today......

angieh
13-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Well back from the vet - unfortunately the cyst is infected and so Merlin has had an anti-biotic injection and has a weeks course of tablets. We have a follow up appointment next Friday to see how things go.

The vet, whom I had not seen before, was a very confident young man and talked to me about the possibility of removing the cyst. He said that new anaesthetics and IV procedures mean that the risks to older patients can be minimised and that weighed against that is the possibility if the cyst cannot be bought under control, that repeated infections may compromise Merlin's general health - his ability to fight infection being lessened by his age.

Obviously, I know that any operation for any animal at any age is a risk.

What do you think????

Mags
13-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Hopefully Kazz will see your reply Angie and tell you about her Cleo who had a lump removed at a grand old age. She was fine after the op..:)

angieh
13-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks Mags - I might PM her .................

dandysmom
13-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Only you can decide that, but what the vet said makes a lot of sense to me. especially about Merlin's immune system being compromised by repeated infections.....

Kazz
13-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Hiya
Cleo got a cyst about 20 years old all was fine it grew and was aspirated no trouble then it just grew and seemed nothing we did "aspirating regularly" stopped it, it filled before you could blink....this is a picture of it before it as removed. Cleo had a bad experience with anthestic when she was spayed but that was back in mid 80's and anthestic has as your vet said moved on. And like you I was "concerned" maybe scared witless may be a better description, but I was worried she would catch it and when another started closer to her ear I almost went with the op. My vet like yours was confident and we went ahead.
This is Cleo pre Op, in the early Dec 05, at this time you can't see the other small cyst nearer her ear but as you can see the big one was about the size of a walnut when this picture was taken it did get bigger and the smaller one got bigger too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kazz76/Captured2005-11-12.jpg

So I decided on an OP she went in in the morning and I picked her up early afternoon she was perfect fine no trouble ate a little chicken after the op and was a million times better almost immediately in fact she had no wobbles post op she was fine.This was her 3 days Post Op. You can see the stitches and almost the smaller Cyst removal scar, she also had her teeth cleaned under the anthestic and a tooth or to removed too.....she was fine I was really pleased I had it done each to their own though Merlin is your cat but I have to say Cleo was 5 months over 23 years when she had her op and lived happily ill a week before her 25th birthday. The cyst never came back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kazz76/CleoPostOp3days.jpg

She went back to the vet after about 10 days and had the stitches removed no trouble just purred her way through it......rolling over and letting the vet rub her belly...mine were stupid cats mine though. ;)

angieh
13-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Gosh that was some cyst Kazz. So how old was Cleo when you had it removed and how did she get on?

Kazz
13-06-2008, 11:39 PM
She was fine aterwards you can see the post op picture that was 3 days after, when back from the vets she wa seating chicken in the early evening. No trouble at all had her stitches removed 10 days later and as I say purred throughout.

She was 23 year and 5 months when she had the op in Jan 2006. And got on fine the cysts never came back and she lived happily till she was PTS (not related to the cysts) at all but kidney trouble and old age July 18th 2006 1 week short of her 25th birthday .

angieh
13-06-2008, 11:46 PM
What a lovely old sweetiepie! That does my heart glad to read that and to know that the operation option is not as dire as it could be. I know these young vets, they give you loads of confidence, because they are confident in themselves - but of course it's always a worry. Thanks Karen - we have a week of pills before going back, but I think I might try and be a bit more upbeat about it now!!!!

Kazz
14-06-2008, 12:50 AM
This was Cleo about 3 months after her Op as you can see she was "stetching and moving about fine" even had a new perspective on the world.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kazz76/Newperspective.jpg

PoshPuss
14-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Great to know these cats have been through this and come good :)
Gives us hope when our puddies are sick.

angieh
14-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks so much Karen - I see you have added to Cleo's story - I think it's probably worse for the owner than for the puss in question. Cleo certainly came through that with flying colours. Fancy rolling over to get the vet to tickle your tummy while he's trying to take the stitches out!

I've had my OH read your post too. I think he's more reluctant than I am at this point and I want to encourage him to come along and talk to the vet next Friday.