PDA

View Full Version : Would you visit the Supreme again?

Kazz
18-11-2007, 11:18 AM
This was the first ever cat show I have been to and I would not go again, it was smaller than I imagined there again I have nothing to compare it to other than Crufts - as the Supreme is I believe the "highlight" of the cat world as is Crufts to the dog world.
But I found it to be overrated, and did not impress me at all.
The NEC themselves have no services avalable for it no shuttle buses or "decent" eating facilities open. No trollies for taking things back to your car. So they must rate it as a "not money making event."

The Supreme was lacking a decent venue in the NEC it was miles from the train station. Apparently it was right in the heart of the NEC last year. So why move it.
No trollies for lugging heavy purchases.
No decently priced food facilities.
no shuttle buses
Hardly any signs
Very poor choices of top cat food sellers (ie no Whiskers/Felix, KiteKat etc etc)
Not one single freebie.
I could not even get a carrrier bag until I begged when Alex brought a magazine.
No advertising in the way of hats/sun visors etc to promote the event other than one small stick on sticker for your coat.
And I have to say even the loudspeaker system was poor.

I know I am not keen on the concept of cat showing as to me cats hate being stared at and a show is effect being stared at and in a pen with little to no escape. But I expected to be honest a "barrier" in front of the cages to keep people at arms distance from the cats on show as some we saw had no owner so people were putting their faces right up to the cages and children were putting their hands through. And a fair few of the cats we saw were buried under their bedding.:? and one I saw was actually shaking. Did not enamour me to go again. I am sure somecats love it but.....it was not for me.

But the cats were lovely I learnt something about the Pura and the Old fashioned Siamese. I adored meeting all the people I met. And kinda got a basic course in colour genetics from Kay. ASK me how to get a dilute :-D

Karen

borderdawn
18-11-2007, 11:26 AM
No I doubt I will go again. I did get the shuttle bus though Kazz, to and from the halls, with no waiting either, but that was more luck than anything. We had a coffee from the restaurant, food wise I agree, a main meal was just 3 choices, very poor and very expensive, but this is the NEC not the show, its exactly the same for any exhibition there. I too thought it would be a lot bigger, to my mind the entry was very poor, but that may be the difference between cat and dog show entries Im not sure.
dawn.

alexgirl73
18-11-2007, 11:27 AM
TBH I dont think I'll go again for a couple of years. I am actually thinking of writinf to the GCCF to say how disappointed I was with the event. The only freebie I got was when I bought a magazine, and as Karen says, the prices in the food halls were unbelievable!!! That said, I did enjoy myself, but much more to do with the company than the event lol!

smudgley
18-11-2007, 12:05 PM
I agree with you Kazz. It wasn't as good as I expected, although it was a good day out. CP had an 80th birthday bash thing going on & if they hadn't been there, it would have been a poor show I think.
We did get the shuttle bus back to the carpark as we were on North & had got a few bags / boxes to carry, we got on it straight away so no problem waiting.
So to sum up the day, I had a nice day, it was good to see the cats. but not sure I'd go again.
One lady from Blue Cross asked me if I'd like a goody bag & I said yes please, she then asked me if I'd already had one & I said no, so she gave me one. I thought it must be a good goody bag if she needs to check that you haven't already had one.... I peeped inside, to find 2 leaflets. :roll:

Kazz
18-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Yes there was a shuttle bus from hall to car park but nothing going from the "train station" to the hall. And as they want to pomote less cars on the road you would think they would. But there again £8 parking at the NEC is a rip off anyhow

Kim
18-11-2007, 08:04 PM
When I first when to The Supreme it was sponsored by Whiskas and was huge, loads of freebies and offers. That was about 12 years ago and tbh it has got smaller and smaller and less interesting since then. I was really disappointed the last time I went and felt as a day out it wasn't good value for money. I may 'try' it again in a few years, but not too bothered. I am not keen on cats being shown in pens either. No offence to anyone, it just isn't my thing. I do enjoy my day at Crufts though and feel it is a good day out. I'm not keen on dogs being shown either, I go for the shopping, watching the agility and flyball and enjoy visiting the various 'rescue' stands!

sarahd
18-11-2007, 08:30 PM
I have to say this years show was a big let down compared to last year.
Last year was much more organised and there were a lot more stalls etc
The sections weren't as cramped either

Sarah
x

ajs
18-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Interesting thread - like several others it was my first ever cat show.

I too have been to Crufts at the NEC once before and am going next year to crufts (this time for 2 days as 1 day was too much of a rush!).

There is simply no comparison. For a start the halls are so quiet! I missed the showing as far as I could gather, although I stayed right till the end.

I enjoyed seeing the cats, especially on the breed stands where they had breed info. I enjoyed chatting to all the lovely people I met. (mainly around the stands!)

All the cats were beautiful, but I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for some. Some were clearly up for showing though!:cool:

I did not notice any of the trade stands offering bargains (compared to our local pet shop) but there was a wider choice than the local pet shop. I was pleased to be able to support the many CPL and the wood green animal shelter stalls. I enjoyed the couple of artists - but honestly I think crufts probably caters far more for cats than the supreme.

I totally agree that trolleys should have been made available for those who purchased "sacks" of litter and food and other bulky/heavy items.

I didn't get any freebies either except for a couple of bits in the bag when I bought the magazine.

..and to sum up, although I enjoyed the day it was due to retail therapy :D and the fact I will be adopting two new additions to my family this week, so lots of excited anticipation...I think it is most unlikely I will go again - for a while anyway. (I never say never!)

Alison xx

Kazz
18-11-2007, 09:09 PM
You're right there you know I picked up more freebies for cats at Crufts than at the Supreme.

Jac
18-11-2007, 09:26 PM
I'd go again just for the company. You guys are all great. The only thing I would change would be to get there early.:lol:

Erin
18-11-2007, 09:28 PM
I'd go again just for the company. You guys are all great. The only thing I would change would be to get there early.:lol:

same here Jacs,I would go again just to meet up with everyone,I had a fab day

Soupie
18-11-2007, 09:28 PM
I would go for the showing definitely but if I weren't showing I would only go if doing the club stand or desperately needed to stock up on applaw and royal canin ;) I thought there could have been a side hall with lots more shopping for the "general public" who weren't addicted to standing for hours while the judges deliberated between two cats :lol:

Kazz
18-11-2007, 10:00 PM
I would go for the showing definitely but if I weren't showing I would only go if doing the club stand or desperately needed to stock up on applaw and royal canin ;) I thought there could have been a side hall with lots more shopping for the "general public" who weren't addicted to standing for hours while the judges deliberated between two cats :lol:
Now thats an excellent idea.

Kay
18-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Crufts is a far bigger show and general dog shows have bigger entries than cat shows. The supreme isn't the best show for stalls I agree but ehibitors go there as the Supreme has titles that can only be gained at that show. Unfortunately the GCCF cannot govern what facilities the NEC provide with regards to meals, drinks etc or the prices. They also cannot be held responsible for the lack of freebies given out by the trade stands etc. I feel the two best shows that attend as regards to the amount of stalls are the Shropshire and the Coventry and Leicester. Both these are held in February at Bingley Hall, Stafford. One is at the beginning of the month and the other is at the end. If anyone fancies going I will more than likely be going to both as I have Roxy and Ruby to bring out and maybe Shannon if her eye colour settles.

smudgley
18-11-2007, 11:05 PM
February it is then. :)

Anyone else up for it?

2nd Feb is the shropshire club & 23rd Feb is the Cov & Leicester - both at Bingley Hall Stafford.

charliebubs
19-11-2007, 02:54 PM
I wasn't as impressed with the Supreme this year, but I partly put that down to the fact that I was showing last year and that makes it much more exciting and rewarding :)

I personally think that the halls last year were better than this year and I remember more stalls last year.

I did get a couple of cans of food as freebies to try, but that was all.

I don't think I would go again unless I am showing. Having said that, I had a good day. It was nice to see everyone from here and I also caught up with my friends in the raggie circle as well as Red's breeders and stocked up on Applaws for the furbabes :)

I have never been to Crufts, so can't compare.

Soupie
19-11-2007, 03:28 PM
I'll be at the Coventry and Leicester with Q and my new boy subject to classes :D If anyone hasn't had a cuddle with a Selkirk then feel free to come and say hi :D

Shropshire not the best schedule for the Selkirks ;)

Fran
19-11-2007, 03:42 PM
I'll be at the Coventry and Leicester with Q and my new boy subject to classes :D If anyone hasn't had a cuddle with a Selkirk then feel free to come and say hi :D

Shropshire not the best schedule for the Selkirks ;)

How did you get on at the Supreme Soupie? I am not sure if you have posted your results so sorry if I have missed them elsewhere...

yola
19-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Never having been to a show, let alone this year's supreme :( I have no way of saying . . . however I would like an excuse to meet up with some catsey gals in the future so hopefully those of you showing and not will be going again even though some weren't that impressed!

Soupie
19-11-2007, 06:18 PM
How did you get on at the Supreme Soupie? I am not sure if you have posted your results so sorry if I have missed them elsewhere...

Hi Fran

We missed out on winning our class by the merest hint of a whisker ;)

The judge really liked Q but also liked the longhair very much - saying they had equal strengths. Took 45 minutes judging between the two and then had to go away and come back. She gave it to the longhair in the end saying Q was a bit too "well" :oops: If he had been a bit slimmer it probably would have been our day :)

Although Q is a year older than the other cat who is quite lean so I am not in too much of a hurry to diet him as other judges like them really stocky ;)

Really pleased anyway as he was an angel for the judging and is qualified for next years by virtue of receiving his 3 ICs this year :D

Kay
19-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Quando looked lovely and at another show the tables could so easily be turned. Sorry I missed you.

Soupie
19-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks Kay - I was pleased with him :D Congratulations on your success too :)

I will be at the Shorthair Cat Society show on the 5th with both him and my new boy who I am buying and will come home with me after the show but is showing in my name so I will definitely come and find you!

Kazz
19-11-2007, 10:58 PM
I agree Quando looked smashing to me. I would have given it to him but I am slightly biased...;)

Kay
19-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Thanks Kay - I was pleased with him :D Congratulations on your success too :)

I will be at the Shorthair Cat Society show on the 5th with both him and my new boy who I am buying and will come home with me after the show but is showing in my name so I will definitely come and find you!

That will be great. I'll look forward to a cuddle with Quando. ;)

Soupie
19-11-2007, 11:07 PM
I agree Quando looked smashing to me. I would have given it to him but I am slightly biased...;)

Aw thanks ;) He's been so bright since then - although he was a little fazed on Saturday he gets so excited when we come home with rosettes and is full of himself for days after :lol:

That will be great. I'll look forward to a cuddle with Quando. ;)

No problem - he is very snuggly buggly and soft and should have his full winter coat by then (very late moults this year!) :)

Kay
19-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Can't wait.