PDA

View Full Version : Introducing New Cat? Help Please

BobbyBoo
17-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Hello everybody, I am new to catsey so please bear with me :)

I own a lovely four year old female DLH called Bobby (I thought she was a boy when I got her). She has never lived with any other cats before.

I have just taken on a rescue cat and plan to bring him home next weekend.

I am after any tips on how to help Bobby accept her new housemate. Obviously I do not want her to be upset, although I suspect she may be a bit put out for a few days to start?

My dad once said to me "cat's love places, not people" and so I am worried that she will run away?

Please Help xxx

Amber
17-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Welcome to catsey :D can't wait to see some pictures of your Bobby and your new boy when he arrives! Does he have a name yet?

Firsty - good on you for rescuing :D

The best advice I can give really is to take things slowly. For the first couple of days or so I would keep them both seperate, but introduce their scents to one another. You will automatically take on the scent of each cat if you are fussing them both, but it may be an idea to place blankets or items of clothing smelling of each cat in the others environment. Maybe you could invest in a large crate, and place your new cat in it, allowing Bobby to wander around and get used to your new cats company without them having access to each other as such - I wouldn't do this for long periods of time though.

I would just say go at the pace your cats want to go, and don't try to rush things ;)

dandysmom
17-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Amber has pretty well summed it up nicely! Bobby's nose will no doubt be out of joint for a while, but hopefully she'll soon adjust, especially if you give her some extra TLC.There might be hissing, spitting and growling for a bit. to be expected. I'm assuming both cats are neutered?
You also might like to get a Feliway diffuser to help ease the stress for both of them. Best of luck, and well done you for getting a rescue! Do keep us posted and we'd love to see pics of both!

Grete
18-11-2007, 01:51 AM
Welcome to Catsey :)

I'm a big fan of letting them sort it out amongst themselves but that's not necessarily the best way to do it.

When I brought my new cat (Fizz) home, I used the basket my resident cat had used, along with her towel so her scent was already on Fizz when she got home. Then I just let her out and wander around where she wanted in the room, called Bubbles in and they stared at each other for a while, then sniffed, then stared some more etc. They hissed a little and flailed paws (nowhere near each other) and they are pretty much OK with each other now.

I've done the keeping them separate until they were used to each others scents etc before with previous cats and in all honesty, it can actually bring about a better bond but I am too soft hearted to keep one cat shut in one room on it's own (especially when I can't be in there all the time).

SO I just let them sort it out themselves and don't force them into anything and just let them get used to each other with time.

Good luck with what you decide to do and we would love to see some pics of Bobby and your new kitty :)

Fran
18-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Welcome to Catsey! Good advice given already :D Do please let us know how it all goes and don't forget we like lots of piccies on here :-D

If you need help to post any pics, this link should help you..

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=8195