PDA

View Full Version : Leia got out! Scary afternoon!

dandysmom
14-11-2007, 09:32 PM
I'd been in the back with the landscapers who are doing some work for me; when I came back Onyx was waiting on the steps for her tea. It was early but I thought, why not, and she followed me onto the porch. Well, I didn't know Leia was watching from the window...when I was in the kitchen, heard the door crash open..Leia is a big cat....she flew at Onyx who promptly fled with Leia after her.This is the first time Leia's ever been outside, except in her carrier, and she was very scared. She dashed under the porch through a small gap in the lattice, and would not come out; I called and called, got a plate of her goodies and coaxed, she refused to budge. She was very scared, her eyes were really dilated.
After about a half hour of this (thank God it was warm this afternoon, 17), I worked the lattice loose enough for me to crawl under the porch on my hands and knees (remember I am not a spring chicken anymore!) and grab her by her scruff...not recommended for adult cats, I know, but I was desperate by now. Dragged her out, still on hands and knees; she's resisting and actually hissed and growled at me...she felt safer apparently under there. Once I was out, grabbed her and got her home; got a nasty scratch too! Poor baby was so scared! She's fine now, had her goodies and is on my lap as I type.
Sorry this is so long, but wanted to share my bad afternoon with you!

alexgirl73
14-11-2007, 09:37 PM
OMG, you and she must have both been scared witless Eileen. Poor Leia (and Onyx). Hope she feels settled again soon!

Jac
14-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Oh Eileen that must have been so frightening for you both!
Thank goodness you didn't get stuck under your poarch! Or hurt.
So glad you are both ok. ((((((((())))))) Hugs.

dandysmom
14-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Oh, Onyx is fine! I had left my cigarettes outside and went back for them after I got Leia safely in, and there was Onyx on the steps waiting patiently for her long-delayed tea!!!

Mags
14-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Oh dear Eileen, I bet that was your worst nightmare :( I'm glad you managed to bet her safely back indoors again and I expect you were both more than a bit shaken:(

Are you ok yourself?:?

Has there been any sign of Onyx since this happened?

dandysmom
14-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Oh dear Eileen, I bet that was your worst nightmare :( I'm glad you managed to bet her safely back indoors again and I expect you were both more than a bit shaken:(

Are you ok yourself?:?

Has there been any sign of Onyx since this happened?

I was very shaken! Have had an early martini to calm my nerves..:-D; Leia calmed down at once as soon as she was safely in her house, and has had goodies. Onyx came back and has had her tea! The scratch isn't a bad one, rinsed it with cold water, put Neosporin on it and a bandaid. As I said, thank God it was mild outside..
Thanks all for your concern!

Moli
14-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Poor Leia, she must have been so scared.....glad you managed to get her back in, and did not do yourself any damage in the process....

Elaine
14-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Good god Eileen, I would have filled my pants.
Glad you got her back indoors safely and that Onyx was unscathed.

Fran
14-11-2007, 09:58 PM
OMG Eileen, what a disturbing time! I'm so glad you managed to get her back in safe and sound and that Onyx came back for her tea (doesn't sound like Leia frightens her that much ;) ) I think you, Leia and Onyx could all do with stiff Martinis :-D

Glad it all turned out ok x

dandysmom
14-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Apparently Onyx moved very rapidly! One of the workmen was on the sidewalk and he said "She (Leia) chase other cat, other cat gone!" That's when Leia realized she was outside in the scary world with no ceiling over her and darted to safety under the porch, as her enemy was long gone! Looking back at it now it actually was sort of funny, but it certainly wasn't at the time........ all's well that ends well!

dandysmom
14-11-2007, 10:07 PM
OMG Eileen, what a disturbing time! I'm so glad you managed to get her back in safe and sound and that Onyx came back for her tea (doesn't sound like Leia frightens her that much ;) ) I think you, Leia and Onyx could all do with stiff Martinis :-D

Glad it all turned out ok x

Leia's a teetotaller, so I'm having hers for her! :-D She seems utterly relaxed now after her excursion into the scary outside world. Onyx is no dummy, she got out of there like greased lightning with that large angry cat after her! But this does not bode well as to introducing Onyx to the household....

Grete
14-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Awww you poor thing and poor Onyx and Leia!

So glad it all came out OK and Onyx came back for her tea :)

Fran
14-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Leia's a teetotaller, so I'm having hers for her! :-D She seems utterly relaxed now after her excursion into the scary outside world. Onyx is no dummy, she got out of there like greased lightning with that large angry cat after her! But this does not bode well as to introducing Onyx to the household....

What I see as positive is that Onxy came straight back! She doesn't strike me as being that scared ;)

dandysmom
14-11-2007, 11:14 PM
What I see as positive is that Onxy came straight back! She doesn't strike me as being that scared ;)

You know, Fran, now that I think about it, Onyx must have been very nearby watching things during the whole episode while I was sitting behind the azalea bushes calling Leia, and when I finally got her and lugged her in. It was only a few minutes after that that I went out to retrieve my cigarettes and there was Onyx!

whiskey
14-11-2007, 11:17 PM
omg you must have been really worried especially since she`s not used to leaving the house.i so glad everything turned out well in the end.cats dont you just love them:)

dandysmom
14-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Whiskey, she's always acted afraid of going outdoors; that's why I never harness-trained her like my previous cats. I hope she won't do it again, but will be extra cautious in the future. I should have realized that she was heavy enough to force the storm door open! Live and learn.......

MrsH
14-11-2007, 11:43 PM
What a fright Leia must have given herself, and how scary for you too. Glad that no serious harm was done and I hope the martinis have helped calm you down.

Darky
15-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Oh dear..

Congrats on getting her out, though! A true good owner is willing to scrape on their hands and knees to rescue their baby. C:

dandysmom
15-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Awww, thanks., Darky! There was no choice, she was very scared and was not going to come out by herself....

random
15-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Oh bless her! Glad you managed to get her back in safe and sound, and I think i'd view it as a positive too that Onyx was straight back for her tea! Cats are very clever and it wouldn't surprise me if Onyx saw Leia when she was outdoors when she (Leia) was obviously very afraid and maybe it gave her (Onyx) a wee confidence boost, to see the big baddy is really a bit of a soft scaredy cat when it comes to the outdoors!

Kazz
15-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Thank God I was not about, what a total and utter scare Eileen. Glad all ended well....and the good point is it seems like nothing is going to put Onyx off coming for tea. Look how far you have come.

Karen

dandysmom
15-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Interesting observation, Random! I never thought of it that way...could be!

babycakes
16-11-2007, 11:25 AM
What a scary afternoon you had Eileen. How awful for Leia and you, ( would love to have seen a pic of you and Leia under the porch though!!!) sorry that's really evil and I'm not being nasty.

Hope Leia and you are fully recovered.X

dandysmom
16-11-2007, 05:06 PM
What a scary afternoon you had Eileen. How awful for Leia and you, ( would love to have seen a pic of you and Leia under the porch though!!!) sorry that's really evil and I'm not being nasty.

Hope Leia and you are fully recovered.X

Lol, BC, I know what you mean! My hair was in a loose bun, and as I squeezed thru the azalea bushes it got caught and was all straggley around my face; looked like a disheveled old witch in baggy sweats and sweatshirt! :shock: And creeping out on hands and knees dragging poor Leia by her scruff while she was hissing, growling and resisting with all her might....it would have made a very, very funny pic! :-D

dandysmom
16-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Oh, and to add to your mental picture, I was wearing bright pink fuzzy bedroom slippers .......:-D

Moli
16-11-2007, 09:52 PM
You know, Fran, now that I think about it, Onyx must have been very nearby watching things during the whole episode while I was sitting behind the azalea bushes calling Leia, and when I finally got her and lugged her in. It was only a few minutes after that that I went out to retrieve my cigarettes and there was Onyx!As PK says, Onyx does not seem scared of Leia DM, they may we learn to tolerate each other, as long as Onyx knows Leia is the boss...;)