PDA

View Full Version : Purdie

sammy
12-11-2007, 07:00 PM
........has been spayed today..:? She's home and is very wobbly, but has eaten a bowl of tuna. My question is, she was very distressed by the 'lampshade' on her head, so I've taken it off, is it OK to leave it off? I don't recall any of my other cats having a collar after spaying.......

I realise it's to stop her biting at the stitches, so I can keep a close eye on her, but obviously at night I won't be able to...

Kazz
12-11-2007, 07:12 PM
I have to say if cat of mine did not like something I would take it off too. As long as she leaves the stiches alone then leave it off I don't recall mine having a collar either I would think some cats it would distress more than help.

I would think she will be more groggy but just keep an eye on her, she may never touch the stitches. Glad she is fine.

Karen

Mags
12-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Pleased to hear Purdie is back home with you now, I expect she's still a bit groggy but she'll be feeling better tomorrow.

Cassie never had to wear the lampshade either and as far as I can remember she didn't attempt to pull at her stitches either.:?
I would keep an eye on her this evening though, just to check that she doesn't bite her stitches.

smudgley
12-11-2007, 09:42 PM
I don't use the collars unless I have one that is obsessed with ripping at the stitches. Some cats are. My own Smudge was & had to wear a collar but still managed to get the stitches out & had to be restitched twice & stapled once, in the end, we left it & had an open wound & gave her antibiotics :roll: ... But most cats I have spayed are fine & I don't use a collar.

sammy
12-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately she's coming round a bit now and has had a couple of pulls at the stitches with her teeth :shock: I don't want to put the collar back on, but I'm worried now in case she pulls them out overnight........would it be really serious if she did?:?

Elaine
12-11-2007, 10:29 PM
I remember when Eva was spayed, she looked so upset and depressed with the collar that we took it off too. Once off she would eat and sleep and play but put it on her head hung low and she would hide.
She never nipped at her stitches.
Just keep a close eye on her to make sure she doesnt get obsessed with the wound and the stitches but I am sure she will be just fine.;)

sammy
12-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Thank you Elaine...;)

smudgley
12-11-2007, 11:36 PM
If she's pulling at her stitches, I'd put it on. ;) Depends how much she's doing it, if she's nibbling because it's feels odd, that's kind of ok, but if she's pulling / ripping then yes that could be serious, so better safe than sorry.

dandysmom
12-11-2007, 11:37 PM
I've had 3 females, none ever had the lampshade; Misty was the only one who pulled at her stitches, but she only did it quite a while after surgery; I suppose they were itching or pulling. I checked with my vet and he said it was almost time for them to come out, so let her do it if she wants...and she did, I hope Purrdie will be OK!

yola
13-11-2007, 10:43 AM
The other option might be to cut a sleeve off an old jumper and pull it over her body to cover the stitches. Although that too might cause her some upset hopefully it'll not be as bad as the buster collar . . . however if you have to, I would put the collar back on - after all it'll only be for a couple of days and they DO get used to having it on (my old Ferdy used to crash into doorframes with his on after he had his mammoth ear operation)!

sammy
14-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Just to let you all know, I left the collar off, and whilst she did have a little pull at the stitches, she didn't pull them right out..........think she was just curious!

I'm pleased to say she's very much back to herself today :-D . Thank you all for your advice!

Mags
14-11-2007, 06:47 PM
So glad Purdie is back to her normal self today .......and her stitches are still holding!;)

Grete
14-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Glad she's doing much better :)

I think it's instinct for a cat to lick any wounds and then they find bits of thread so give them a pull. Most will leave them alone when it tugs, just the odd few (one of my late girls being one of them) won't leave them alone and have to have the satellite dish for a bit ;)

whiskey
14-11-2007, 11:50 PM
im glad everything went well for purdie and i hope she`s feeling more like herself again:)

MrsH
14-11-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm glad Purdie isn't bothering her stitches, it's a real worry that they'll pull them out. One of my cats did just that!

sammy
15-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Cheers guys :) She's still having a little tug at them now and again, but so far they're holding!