PDA

View Full Version : Do female cats ever spray like males?

Cats
10-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Hi,

On 1st October I saw one of our neighbours’ cats investigating the cotoneaster bush outside my study window, hoping to find a few mice or birds to eat (we often have problems with other people’s cats hunting our birds and mice). It was a very pretty tortoiseshell cat of the usual red/brown/black colour, not tortie-and-white. After searching for food in and around the bush, it then turned and sprayed the bush before walking off along the terrace. Knowing that tortoiseshell cats are almost always females (due to a genetic condition – usually only females can have the tortoiseshell colour), I was very surprised to see this one scent-marking like a male! I would be interested if anybody on Catsey can tell me if female domestic cats ever scent-mark in exactly the same way as males?

The cat I saw certainly looked slender enough to be a female, but I look forward to getting some feedback on this enquiry, hopefully from an expert!

MrsH
10-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Oh yes, female cats can spray. Our old cat Penny used to do this, especially up against to conifers. Next door's female cat has also been known to spray......up against my TV stand, coats over the end post of the staircase, on the bookcase, the hi-fi stand etc! :evil:

Kim
10-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Yes, I have seem female cats spray too!

dandysmom
10-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Yes, they can, and do! Misty (blue torbie) did, but rarely. Leia doesn't, nor did Patches.

Kazz
10-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Yeap my Cleo used to spray very very occasionaly.

random
10-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Yes Tabs used to, outside only though thank heavens!

Mags
11-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Yes they do! :) My Cassie is a tortie and white and when she walks along the top of the fence at the bottom of the garden, she will stop and spray (sometimes nothing comes out!:roll:) at every two or three fence posts. I take it that she is marking her territory as she does it almost everytime she is on the fence. Also, other cats go along there as well so maybe she does it regularly to disguise the fact that they are using it:?

She has never sprayed indoors though...

Fran
11-11-2007, 03:42 PM
I too have had neutered females that spray :)

sammy
11-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Yep, my Bubble does it, thankfully only in the garden! :shock: :lol:

Rosie
13-11-2007, 03:42 PM
My Rosie is a spayed Tortie and she definitely sprays but outside thankfully.

sarahd
20-11-2007, 01:49 PM
I have entire girls that spray when they are in call

Sarah
x