PDA

View Full Version : Kitten 4 months old

inkakain
08-11-2007, 01:39 PM
:) Hi everyone, I 've not been on for a while, my daughter bought a lovely kitten (british short hair burmese cross) she will be 4 months now Princess Mya, although shes acting more like a spoilt brat than a princess lol she keeps attacking my daughter and running wild around the house, if she puts her on the floor when shes attacking her Princess Mya just looks at her as if f... you and goes back for her, it looks so funny at the time but my daughter lives in her own flat and is finding her behavior a bit much to cope with, Mya has always been spoilt and never has heard a cross word. Em is at her wits end, I told her to start to use a spray water bottle on her for unwanted behavior but would just like to hear some of your opinions and suggestions.
Thanks a lot Elaine.

dinahsmum
08-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Mmmm, I know the answer with puppies, which is say NO, loudly and clearly and then give it the cold shoulder treatment for a few minutes. As the thing it craves most is interaction with you it soon puts 2 and 2 together and realises - attack mum = get ignored, so it stops doing it.

As cats are much less reliant on us I don't know if that's the way to do it with kittens.

I think she's probably doing the right thing just by putting the kit down, away from her when attacked.
As for running around the house like a crazy thing ..... mine are happily still doing that at eighteen months. Hide your breakables! :)

inkakain
08-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Hahahaha, hide your breakables I'll let Em know, thanks for your reply.

Grete
08-11-2007, 07:03 PM
I think you have already said the answer - she's spoilt and never heard a cross word :(

They can learn No and ouch and be put into time out ;) That she's 4 months old has a lot to do with it - she's full of energy and wants to play - she's having all her instincts coming out of hunting etc and it's just a normal part of being a young cat.

They do respond well to water spray training - I used that method on my cat Bubbles with great results.

We've not had to use it with Fizz as happily we found she already knew NO, when we adopted her hehe :)

Spaying might calm her down a bit as well although you have a month or so I think until it can be done.

Fizz is half burmese and they are just full of energy and love and need attention, else they get naughty just to attract it.

Sorry I can't be more help :(

inkakain
09-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks again every one, I have spoken to Em and she is relieved its not some thing she is doing wrong,she will use the spray and the time out methods with her. Myas not gonna like it lol.

Fran
09-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Good luck, do let us know how she gets on

andrew021
09-11-2007, 02:34 PM
My friend got a kitten and exactly the same thing happened.

She was constantly attacked and bitten by the cat.

She tried what your daughter is doing but this made the cat even more determined to attack her.

Things got so bad my friend got an infection from the bites and cuts on her hands and arm and had to be treated with antibiotics. People thought she was harming herself due to the gashes on her arm.

The Vet told her the cat was spoiled, she did admit she treated the cat like a baby (she would lift it over to its food bowl to be fed, she would carry it upstairs to go to bed, she would cover it with a blanket when it was in its bed etc...)

Gradually over time things began to settle down but my friend had to learn to be strict with the cat, to put it in the kitchen if it attacked her, to let her know who is boss.

Hopefully if ur daughter is strict things may settle down, you have to show the cat at such an early age what is allowed and what isint.