PDA

View Full Version : Do all uneutered Tom Cats spray in the house?

borderdawn
08-11-2007, 04:07 AM
To those that have had uneutered Tom Cats. Do they all smell and do they all spray in the house?:-D

oh and female Cats when they are spayed, is it always on the same side? (apart from mid-line)

Fran
08-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Well, Clooney never sprayed in the house at all whilst he was entire and I think Kay keeps her stud boys in the house without them spraying. But I'd hazard a guess that this is the minority and that the majority of entire cats would start to spray at some point.

My vets have always speyed my girls on the same flank, not sure if this is their preference or if there is some anatomical reason for this (would be interested to know myself actually!)

smudgley
08-11-2007, 09:13 AM
never had a male cat so can't answer that one, but all the rescues never spray in the pens, but the entire ones urine stinks & once they are neutered (which is ASAP) their urine smells less & less each day over the next few days/week.

Vets usually spay on the left side. I know they think this helps if we have no history on a cat so they can shave and try & check for a scar, but that's about all they can do to see if they've been spayed. Not sure if there's any other reason.

Have only had one spayed midline (I think) & that was to check her as they thought she had a tumour / liver problem, so they opened her up midline for ease.

dinahsmum
08-11-2007, 09:48 AM
My only experience is with the stray tom (Mr Balls!) who used to visit us and who I wanted to adopt. He didn't smell in himself and never sprayed when he was in the house.
Smudgley's hypothesis for using one side for speys sounds reasonable.

(btw, my vet student neice will be staying with me for a couple of weeks early next July, whilst she does a placement at a local equine vet practice. She'll be at the end of her third year then. Get your vet-type questions ready! ... but remember her answers will be classroom-type rather than hands on experience. :) )

smudgley
08-11-2007, 09:59 AM
**thinking of questions**

yola
08-11-2007, 10:28 AM
My ex-stray who I subsequently adopted and neutered sprayed like crazy; inside, outside . . . wherever he could :shock:

Jac
08-11-2007, 10:32 AM
C-Fur never sprayed in the house. In saying that though we didn't have him very long:(

Rosie
08-11-2007, 11:47 AM
I used to have a cat called Hissing Sid only it wasn't his hissing that was a problem!! He had been neutered but sprayed everywhere in the house so I don't think the problem is confined to neutered males.

borderdawn
08-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks folks. I try to think of Cats on here when they have been spayed, which side its on, its been 15yrs since I had a female spayed! Its just I had a conversation with somebody, who said all female Cats are spayed on the same side, but she didnt know why, she thought it was for some medical reason, the way the organs lie or something, so I thought Id ask on here.

Thanks for the info on males, interesting some do and some dont. Catteries, including ours, wont board an entire male after 8/9mths because of the spraying and the smell is awful, and almost impossible to get rid of. I smelled it at the Cat show I went to, I was heaving!!
Dawn.

smudgley
08-11-2007, 12:58 PM
http://www.dr-dan.com/Spay_copy.JPG

random
08-11-2007, 02:18 PM
None of mine have ever sprayed indoors Dawn, neutered or not. I guess I just really lucky! lol!

And 2 of mine done on same side, Tarny on diff side, Tabs was midline and I still have 1 to go so will get back to you, lol!

random
08-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Repeated post sorry.....

random
08-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Forget that Tarny was done on the left aswell I just checked the pics. I could have sworn she was on the right, I must be loosing it. :roll:

borderdawn
08-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Thansk for that info, so seems that Cats are usually spayed on the left then, next time I go to the vet Ill ask why, see what they say.
Dawn.

Kazz
08-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Cleo was spayed on the left. Never had an unnetured Tom past kittenhood.

borderdawn
08-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Cleo was spayed on the left. Never had an unnetured Tom past kittenhood.
You can remember that far back Kazz? :shock: I cant remember 3 weeks ago!:-D

Kazz
08-11-2007, 09:48 PM
You can remember that far back Kazz? :shock: I cant remember 3 weeks ago!:-D

I normaly can't recall 3 minutes ago Dawn, but regarding Oz and Cleat I remember everything.:roll: stupid eh. But she was done on the left.

alexgirl73
08-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Broxi wasn't neutered until he was 16 months and never once sprayed. I took the decision to get him neutered when I got Cooper and Teddie in case the situation stressed him as I heard that sometimes caused them to do so.

Elaine
08-11-2007, 10:30 PM
I had a tom many years ago when I was young and ignorant about spay and neuter, I actually thought it cruel until he sprayed in my face, next day he was stuffed in a box and off to the vet, he pee'd all over me and I stank for ages.

EVa is the only female I have ever had, she was spayed 3 years ago midline.

borderdawn
08-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks girls. :)
Dawn.

babycakes
08-11-2007, 10:40 PM
I've only ever owned Tom's and none has sprayed...but they have always been neutered very young or not long after they chose to live with us so not much help I'm sorry

borderdawn
08-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Thanks BC. All my other males have been neutered around 6-8mths too.
Dawn.

random
08-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Thansk for that info, so seems that Cats are usually spayed on the left then, next time I go to the vet Ill ask why, see what they say.
Dawn.

I ment to ask today for you Dawn and forgot! Remind me next Thurs! :lol:

borderdawn
09-11-2007, 04:09 PM
LOL! I will do!

Kay
10-11-2007, 11:05 PM
As Fran said both my males live indoors and always have done. They don't spray. Tate's wee is a little stronger than Cory, probably because Cory hasn't worked yet, but nothing drastic. Tate's brother never sprayed and neither does his breeders other two males.

I only ever have girls spayed midline so can't answer that question. The reason for having them done midline is in case I want to show them as colourpoints tend to shade where they are shaved back so

random
10-11-2007, 11:14 PM
As Fran said both my males live indoors and always have done. They don't spray. Tate's wee is a little stronger than Cory, probably because Cory hasn't worked yet, but nothing drastic. Tate's brother never sprayed and neither does his breeders other two males.

I only ever have girls spayed midline so can't answer that question. The reason for having them done midline is in case I want to show them as colourpoints tend to shade where they are shaved back so

That's funny as Jen has changed colour where she was shaved, to a dark burgandy/red from black, it's not so easily noticable unless you know to look for it but when you do there is a definate patch. It was months ago but it seems to still be mostly undercoat in that area as she has a really thick undercoat and the blacker topcoat is yet to grow back fully.

borderdawn
11-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Thanks Kay.

I will say where mine were bred you cant small Tom Cat wee anywhere. She has 4 stud Cats and you wouldnt know, their pens are immaculate and not a whiff in sight.