PDA

View Full Version : Cat found dead in neighbours garden

suzanne118
07-11-2007, 10:51 PM
belived to have been killed by a fox:? :(

I never knew foxes kill cats? do you think they do?

i feel terrible for this cat, and worried about mine:(

dandysmom
07-11-2007, 10:57 PM
That is terrible, Suzanne! I didn't know the answer to this so just did a quick Google and the answer is very, very rarely. Almost unheard of, although it can happen. Do you have free-roaming or feral dogs in your area?

Fran
07-11-2007, 11:00 PM
It's rare for a fox to tackle a healthy adult cat, in some instances a hungry female feeding her young may have a go. Also, I would expect if it had been a fox there would be very little left to identify the remains as a cat.

Sad news :(

suzanne118
07-11-2007, 11:04 PM
That is terrible, Suzanne! I didn't know the answer to this so just did a quick Google and the answer is very, very rarely. Almost unheard of, although it can happen. Do you have free-roaming or feral dogs in your area?

we have a lot of free roaming cats about

suzanne118
07-11-2007, 11:05 PM
It's rare for a fox to tackle a healthy adult cat, in some instances a hungry female feeding her young may have a go. Also, I would expect if it had been a fox there would be very little left to identify the remains as a cat.

Sad news :(

well she said it looked awful, i dont really want to tell you the things she told me:? it was horrble:(

yola
07-11-2007, 11:10 PM
That's horrible Suzanne :( We think my Mum's cat got attacked by a fox a few years back. He was big and strong so it only managed to sink it's teeth in, but it was enough to cause blood poisoning with sad consequences.

Might it be an idea to keep your cat/s in for a bit?

suzanne118
07-11-2007, 11:20 PM
That's horrible Suzanne :( We think my Mum's cat got attacked by a fox a few years back. He was big and strong so it only managed to sink it's teeth in, but it was enough to cause blood poisoning with sad consequences.

Might it be an idea to keep your cat/s in for a bit?

yer iam going to be keeping them in every night now, :(
i want them 2 be safe

Kazz
07-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Could find its a dog rather than a cat. Can't see it being a fox unless the cat was elderly/young; poorly etc. In fact when Oz was in his prime he used to chase foxes not vice versa. Although I would not encourage city foxes due to "mange" etc

Kazz
07-11-2007, 11:22 PM
RIP little one.

Kim
07-11-2007, 11:50 PM
How very sad. I have seen my cats chase foxes and they have always run off. I agree I think it is rare for a fox to chase/hurt a cat.

borderdawn
07-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Very unlikely to be a Fox, more likely a dog. poor Cat.

Grete
08-11-2007, 01:31 AM
Poor thing :(

RIP little one.

Fran
08-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Was just thinking about this, do you think it could have been some sort of encounter with a firework?

dinahsmum
08-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Sad story but, unfortunately, I think it's more likely to have been attacked by a dog/dogs than by a fox. They are generally shy creatures and their diet is much more at the small end of the range (from worms to rabbits but mostly mice and voles).
If you've got uncontrolled dogs nearby I would keep your babes in

Donna
08-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Sad ending for little kitty. RIP x

CathyW
08-11-2007, 09:19 PM
i keep mine in at night.thers lots of foxes around here.

Alan77
23-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Hi all. I am new her and happened to chance acros the site. With regard to this thread, I thought I'd offer my opinion on the foxes issue.

We had three cats, two of which we acquired from the Cats Protection League. One of them (Charlie) was a biscuit coloured and had never shown any interest in going near the road.

However, last week, he went missing and my wife spent quite a lot of time walking up and down the road, looking for a sign that he may have been run over, but found nothing.

A couple of days later, my son came home from school and mentioned that there was a notice in the village shop for a cat that's gone missing. It also transpires that another went missing from just up the road from us. So, we contacted all the local vets, who told us that a lot of cats have been going missing in our area, usually (apparently) overnight.

This led me to a few conclusions:

a) The cats have been killed on the roads and every one of them has been scavenged by another animal.
b) The cats have been taken for the fur trade.
c) The cats have been taken for another reason.
d) The local foxes (and there are plenty, one of which killed 20 of our ducks in September) are killing cats.

The fur trade answer could be true, because Charlie was a nicely-coloured cat, but it would mean the thieves would have (more than likely) had to come all the way up our 50 yard long driveway in the dead of night to take him. That's unlikely, IMO.

I think foxes will kill cats, if the foxes are big and strong enough as well as sufficiently hungry, and the cat is small/old enough. The weather change over the last couple of weeks could mean they are more opportunist than usual.

I have nothing against foxes, per se, even having picked one up that had been run over near our house and taking it to the vets (I later released it in the woods behind our house).

I don't think they're to blame for most instances of cats going missing, but I am sure they play a part.

angieh
23-11-2007, 01:09 PM
How very sad. Poor cat.

Mags
23-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Welcome to Catsey, Alan!

That's a very interesting post post you have made, sorry to hear about Charlie.....I hope there is still a chance that he will turn up on your doorstep one day.
I have read in the press about several cats from a certain area going missing, so it does make you wonder about the fur trade:?

We have an Introductions section here where members can intoduce themselves and tell us a little about their cats. Also our members here will be able to give you a proper welcome to our friendly site:D We look forward to hearing more from you soon!

http://www.catsey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

CathyW
23-11-2007, 01:33 PM
i keep my 2 in every night, 1 cause of foxes, but the other reason is they are both black and like to go across the road, and its dark around here.