PDA

View Full Version : Teeth cleaning

RRR
06-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Is there any way to keep cats teeth clean...ish?

I noticed Zoot's back tooth had a small dark spot on it and the rest are rather yellow, he was a year old last Saturday.

:)

yola
06-11-2007, 12:03 PM
There is a toothpaste (chicken, lamb or beef flavoured) called Logic that can be bought from your vet. This will inhibit the further development of tartar but can also work on breaking down what is there. Zoot might need some initial dental work to remove stubborn deposits but then the toothpaste should keep further problems at bay :D

Sorry, edit to say you don't actually put in on a toothbrush, you simply squirt a bit into the cat's mouth and the enzymes mixing with the saliva do the rest!

dinahsmum
06-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Try a raw chicken wing to gnaw at, say once a week.
Or look at PlaqueOff. It seems good to me. here's a link to a previous thread.

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=21162

RRR
06-11-2007, 03:25 PM
I do give them chicken wings but they only eat the chicken and leave the bones. That was my first thought as we give chicken bones to the ferrets to keep their teeth clean.

Could you imagine trying to get a toothbrush into a cats mouth? :lol: My two are really laid back but they would still have a hissy fit if I tried that!! :lol:

I'll look into the other suggestions though, thanks :D

Grete
06-11-2007, 04:27 PM
I just remembered my vet mentioned a teeth cleaning gel as well, when she was explaining the options for keeping them clean after Bubbles had had her dental.

It's probably the least effective method but better than nothing. The best thing about it, is you dab a little on a paw, then they lick it off which in turn gets to their teeth. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me now tho :(

Mags
06-11-2007, 04:55 PM
I used to use Logic toothpaste for Sam, my previous cat ......... the vet told me to squeeze it onto his paw too..:D

Grete
07-11-2007, 01:38 AM
I used to use Logic toothpaste for Sam, my previous cat ......... the vet told me to squeeze it onto his paw too..:D

A-ha!! That's what it was :) Thanks Mags lol.