PDA

View Full Version : Help please

Elaine
03-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Getting frustrated with my studies here:twisted:
This is the question..............

Draw up a table to show the differences between the reproductive systems in the male dog and cat. (Hint, there are at least 8 that should be included).Now, in the booklet she has given me to read, it states some of the differences, position of the scrotum (I know that one). Postion of the urethral opening??? And can some one explain to me about the glans penis and the os penis in simple terms?
I have read that in the dog, the os penis is a bone which helps with erectness and in the cat it is cartilidge rather than bone, then it goes on about the presence or absence of the glans penis and i am not coping with all this talk of penis's:lol: . How would I know if it was present or absent?
Begining to dislike this tutor and her lack of explanations, but then again it could just be me making things more difficult than they need to be.

alexgirl73
03-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Elaine my sweet, I couldn't understand a word of that lol!!

Sorry I can't help you chum, hopefully someone else will be on with a greater understanding of dog and cat 'bits'!! Best of British!

Fran
03-11-2007, 02:32 PM
The urethra is the tube from the bladder which expels the urine via the penis, the position of the penis in male dogs and cats are different hence the position of the urethral opening is therefore different.

The Glans penis - is the head of the penis e.g. in humans it's the bulbous bit right at the end :oops:

The Os penis - is as you rightly said a bone in dogs which surrounds the urethra. Cats do not have an os penis as such but have cartilege which is situated within the penis.

Fran
03-11-2007, 02:36 PM
In dogs, during mating, the glans penis which is the end of the penis swells up, the female dog's vagina tightens and this is what is described as the 'tie' where it appears the two dogs are stuck together

In cats, the glans, which is the tip of the penis is covered in tiny spines, these are what stimulate the female cat to ovulate, as unlike dogs, cats only ovulate in response to mating

Elaine
03-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanx Fran thats a great help:lol:
I shall look at the penis with much disdain after this:oops: :lol:

Elaine
03-11-2007, 03:25 PM
I can only find 5 differences but apparently there are atleast 8:twisted:

dinahsmum
03-11-2007, 03:35 PM
omg Elaine - what wonderful studies!

What 5 have you got?

I don't think I know anything other than Fran has already said, though I think I knew all of them :shock: :oops:

Are you brave enough to google? Make sure you put cat and dog before any anatomical term.

Cats tend to keep theirs hidden but I suppose that's more to do with fur than, er, telescope-ness. Could that be a difference?

Elaine
03-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Googling has made it even more frustrating as it either comes up with utter rubbish or stuff i cannt understand as it's all in veterinary bloody jargon:twisted:

Here's what I have so far.
Differences
Cat
Dog
Scrotum Position
Under the tail, below the anus.
Between the hind legs.
Length and shape of Urethra
Short and straight.
Long with a distinct bend as it passes over the pelvis.
OS penis
The cat does not have one as such and instead has cartilage within the penis.
In the dog this is bone which surrounds the urethra.
Glans penis
Covered in sharp papillae in the cat.
Smooth on the dog.
Bulbo urethral glands
Two small pea sized glands.
Not present in the dog.

Elaine
03-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Now why has that come out like that???:evil: It was all in a table.

Kazz
03-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Not sure if this helps but canines (bitches) come in season roughly every 6 months but cats come into call until mated.

Elaine
03-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanx Kazz but it's the differences beween the males that I am struggling with.

dinahsmum
03-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Elaine! Inspiration!

I know it's not everything but I think one more difference is size. Think of it, in proportion to the rest of the body.... Mr cat it's just like a toe size, Mr dog - whole foot!
So, proportionately, the dog is much much bigger.

Hope that's what your tutor was looking for.

Kazz
03-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Okay I am backing away now. Head hung low.

dandysmom
03-11-2007, 08:08 PM
I did a Google on this, with "cat" and dog"; and most of what came up was either too technical or about other species ( a porcupine!), with only glancing references to cats/dogs...sorry, Elaine; I tried! :( And now know more than I really wanted to...:-D

Elaine
04-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Eileen, thats what kept coming up when i was trying to find stuff too.
Hilary, I did think of that one but thought I was being too obvious, will add it anyway coz it might be that the tutor is looking at it from all angles.
Thankyou all anyway.

smudgley
04-11-2007, 05:40 PM
What about a dogs bulbus glandis? I don't think a cat has one but I know little about cat reproduction if I'm honest.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but looking from a breeding programme point of view. A cat is very difficult to evaluate semen quality, but you can take semen easily from a dog & evaluate it, therefore know exactly the quality of your dogs sperm. You can't very easily get a sample from a cat to evaluate.

Artificial insemination also is easy with a dog, but not with a cat.... but that's more to do with the cats reproductive cycle... come back to use when you need the female stuff. :-D

Elaine
04-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanx Kelly thats really helpful:D