PDA

View Full Version : RSPCA home check - what to expect?

Tinker
03-11-2007, 08:50 AM
I am anxiously awaiting an appointment from someone at RSPCA for a home check - eeek!
The person I spoke to who is in charge of rehoming doesn't mind that we both work full time, but she is not the one doing the home check and I am worried that the person doing the home check will have other ideas.
My FIL failed a home check from Bury Stray cats because he works full time. I have heard of people failing checks from other organisations because they don't have cat flaps.

So, we both work full time and we haven't got a cat flap. Is there any hope for us? Or did we waste a day off work to travel to meet our prospective new cats and am I going to be wasting all of today cleaning and tidying?

tilly
03-11-2007, 02:38 PM
I hope it goes well and that you can proceed with getting your cat/kitten.
I think it depend on the person who it coming round as to whether you pass or not but I don't know as I have never tried to get a cat from a rehoming centre. Mine came from a feral colony at a golf course!!
Sally

Mags
03-11-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure where in the UK you are Tinker, but if you don't get a positive result from the RSPCA, Smudgley here on Catsey fosters rescues for the Cats Protection ............ if you are anywhere near her, she may be able to help you with a cat/kitten.:D

Tinker
03-11-2007, 06:04 PM
I am in Suffolk, must get round to filling in my profile properly!
Do cats protection allow working owners to home kittens? Looking for a pair of kittens as I think this would be easiest to fit in with our older cat. We saw a couple of totally gorgeous kittens being fostered at a boarding kennel for RSPCA yesterday, hence the anxious wait for a home check. I'll be gutted if they aren't allowed to come and live with us.

dandysmom
03-11-2007, 08:49 PM
I hope the home check goes well for you, Tinker! Sounds to me as if you'd make a lovely home for a pair of kittens; do let us know how it goes! Best of luck.....

Tc's Servants
03-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Hi Tinker,

We went to RSPCA, and were advised by them that a kitten is not ideal if you work full time as a kitten should not be left for more than 4 hours on its own!!

However, we had our heart set on T.C, an older cat who happened to be in the cage with a kitten. They consented to us having both cats even though we both work full time and also dont have a catflap.

The homevisit was not a scary thing, the lady that came did not even bother to look around the house or garden. All she asked us was about vets, pet insurance and what we would do with the cats if we went on holiday!! Wasn't interested in us, our work patterns, catflaps, gardens or about the cats themselves!!

Hope all goes well for you. If you do get the kittens, be prepared for lots of hardwork, but more importantly lots of love and laughs at their antics!!

Let us know how things go

T.C's Servants

Tinker
10-11-2007, 02:58 PM
We've finally got an appointment for the home check - this afternoon!
Just hoping they find us to be suitable kitten-parents.

Mags
10-11-2007, 03:12 PM
We've finally got an appointment for the home check - this afternoon!
Just hoping they find us to be suitable kitten-parents.
Hope the home check goes well for you Tinker, good luck! :D

Fran
10-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Good luck this afternoon, fingers crossed!

dandysmom
10-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Fingers and paws crossed here that all goes well!

Jac
10-11-2007, 06:20 PM
How did it go???

Tinker
10-11-2007, 08:30 PM
The home checker has been, and is now going to report back to the person in charge of rehoming for the area. She said she couldn't see any problems. She was a little concerned about the lack of catflap, but I explained that Bobby (a previous cat) was happier without (I think less threat from other cats not having to guard it) so we would like to see how they turn out temperament-wise before rushing to have one fitted. She admired Tinker and said she looks really good for her age. We then had a good chat about cats and horses (it turns out that she has a horse, and we each have horses).

So, if all goes well keep your fingers crossed that these 2 lovely kittens (http://ccgi.rspcacambridge.charitydays.co.uk/moodle/file.php?file=/1/Leah.JPG) will be coming to live with us next month when they are old enough to leave their Mum!!

MrsH
10-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Fingers crossed here for you!

dandysmom
10-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Sounds promising!! Fingers crossed here too!

Kazz
10-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Ahhh the kittens are lovely best of luck.

sammy
10-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Awww, lovely kittens! Sounds like it went fine to me and you'll have them with you in no time! :D

borderdawn
10-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Fingers crossed, and lovely kittens.

random
10-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Sounds like it went well, best of luck and lovely kittens!

Mags
11-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Lovely little kittens, I hope they'll be up to mischief in your house very soon!:lol:

Fran
11-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Ahhhh congratulations!!!! and what a pair of cute kittens!! I should bet you are feeling very excited now!! :D

Jac
11-11-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm so glad it went well for you. Cant wait to see your photo's.

Tinker
11-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Rest assured there will be photos galore when they arrive, OH is a part time professional photgrapher so their every move will be photographed!
I am hoping to go and see them at the boarding kennels again before collecting them. Since they are not ready to leave their Mum until next month I think it would be nice to take some toys and a blanket over for them so that they will have some familiar stuff to come home with.

I can't wait to bring them home :smt026

smudgley
11-11-2007, 07:30 PM
How old will they be when you get them?

Tinker
11-11-2007, 07:32 PM
I think they said 9 weeks, I'd rather have them at 12 weeks but will have to take RSPCAs word for it that 9 is OK. It is after all 15 years since I've had kittens!

Fran
11-11-2007, 07:35 PM
I think they said 9 weeks, I'd rather have them at 12 weeks but will have to take RSPCAs word for it that 9 is OK. It is after all 15 years since I've had kittens!

9 weeks is absolutely fine Tinker! Can't wait for the piccies :D

Rosie
13-11-2007, 11:19 AM
I think it is daft not letting working people have kittens. I have always worked and have had a few kitten in my life and they have been fine. Alfie was 10 weeks when he joined Rosie cat 10 and Holly dog 11. I was off work for 1 weeks to settle them in and everything has been brilliant. Cats are not like dogs they have toilet facilities and if you are getting two kittens then they have company. Good homes shouldn't be rejected in my opinion because people have to work. The same goes for dogs.

dandysmom
13-11-2007, 05:07 PM
I agree completely, Rosie! I worked all my life, always had cats, and they were healthy, happy and most lived to advanced old ages!! Ridiculous requirement, IMO!