PDA

View Full Version : Second eyelid won't close

Socks
02-11-2007, 11:41 PM
We've been putting a cream on it every single day, but all it does is make it water even more.

When Maiah came to us, one of her eyes was almost sealed shut due to her second eyelid being stuck to her eye. We gave her medz and it helped to open half way. Now, the second eyelid is turrning black. We can't afford to go to the vet just yet. But can anyone think of a reason of why it's just not getting any better? It dosn't look like it's bothering her. She dosn't rub her eyes nor does she even hint that it's bothering her...but her eyes water all the time and it dries and it hurts her when we have to wash it off.

Has this ever happened to any of you?

Mags
02-11-2007, 11:45 PM
The second eyelid showing is a sign that the cat isn't well .......... my advice would be to get her to the vet as soon as possible..:?

Let us know how she gets on Socks..

Tink
03-11-2007, 12:06 AM
i agree with mags...i'm definitely not an expert but from experience my mom's cat had an eye issue and once it turned black there was permanent damage...i'd get it looked at.

Socks
04-11-2007, 05:24 PM
We took her to the vet several times. They all said it was an eye infection and we gave her the right meds. Still, it got a little better, but it's not closed all the way. We took her to the vet so many times, we're actually running out of money to get her checked up. So, I'm starting a job at rite-aid tomorrow to save up money, cause I hate having her eye's water all the time. It's just the left eye. the right eye is absolutly perfect.

yola
05-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Socks I would consider changing your vet if you are getting nowhere with the one you have. It sounds rather nasty, an eyelid turning black really seems quite serious to me!

Will your vet not take credit card payments or set up some kind of payment plan for you?

dandysmom
05-11-2007, 04:58 PM
I concur; the treatment doesn't seem to be helping. I'm no expert either, but the turning black sounds very serious to me.......

Grete
06-11-2007, 12:51 AM
Yikes, I think with several trips to the vets, it would have improved or been resolved by now :( I honestly would change your vet or get a second opinion.

Any healthy tissue that isn't normally coloured black, that turns black isn't good and I think needs to be checked out as soon as you can.

I would also question why it hasn't been resolved after so many visits to the vets, or at least given you an answer and a prognosis. Just being told 'oh it's an infection' isn't really very good when it's been going on this long :(

*hugs*

TraceyR
06-11-2007, 08:37 AM
If finances are a real problem have you considered going to the blue cross or PDSA? I know those organisations used to help owners out with vet fees.

I agreee with the others though, get a different vet it definately sounds like something that needs looking at asap.

Hope everything is ok.

Tracey

yola
06-11-2007, 10:45 AM
If finances are a real problem have you considered going to the blue cross or PDSA? I know those organisations used to help owners out with vet fees.

Tracey - Socks is in the U.S., I'm not sure what kind of support there is for pet owners who are struggling with vet fees. Maybe Dandysmom or Tink or someone else can offer some suggestions.

dandysmom
06-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Wish I could help with that, but am not aware of any organizations that might help. Do you have a local branch of the Humane Society in your area of Tennessee? Or a local Animal Rescue League or something similar? It may be that they could either help or point you in the direction of someone who could...worth trying....good luck!