PDA

View Full Version : Jet The Barrell

andrew021
02-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Was watching Jet the other day running in the garden and her belly was nearly hittin the ground.

Yes she has been spayed and I know her belly has drooped because of it but am wondering if her diet has also contributed to it.

She has a pouch of Felix - As Good as it Looks in morning and tea time, she has her biscuits left to munch on and I also give her prawns at about 9.00 - 10.00 pm.

She is fairly active but loves her sleep.

Wondering if I should cut her food to maybe 3/4's of a pouch but would rather she ate it than waste it.

Also was wondering if eating prawns could be bad for her, maybe too much salt content in the seafood.

kado
02-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Someone else on here might know diffent. Mine are on dried food prescription only and tecnical. They also have prawns as well which 2 of mine shouldnt have i do agree on the prawns i personaly would stop the prawns for a couple of weeks. I still do feed them to the cats but only twice a month now the vet siad to me once only give them as an ocasional treat.

andrew021
02-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Was reading earlier that prawns can be hamfull to cats due to the high salt content which can cause urinary and cholesterol problems.

Will have to wash them to reduce the salt and try to cut down on the frequency of when she gets them.

There will be tears as she loves her prawnies and will only eat Tesco cooked prawns but hopefully in the long run it will be more beneficial to her health reducing the intake of them.

Grete
02-11-2007, 05:49 PM
If she has biscuits down all the time, that could be the problem. We had this problem with Bubbles, she would get a pouch morning and night but also have biscuits down all the time whenever she felt like it. Added up to a fatty-puss. Now she is entirely on dried food that gets measured so she only has what is appropriate for her weight. For an occasional treat (or bribe to forgive us when she's been to the vets or we've been away) she has canned tuna (in spring water not brine).

We've managed to get her weight down anyway and the vet is happy with her now.

So maybe the answer is in either just the pouches or just measured dry food (or one meal a pouch and the other meal dried).

Another thought - if she is used to a prawn treat every day, maybe split the amount she would normally have on one day, over a couple?

Just a couple of thoughts anyway, hope it helps :)

Elaine
02-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Ah prawns, The Diva's delight:lol:
I used to use prawns when I clicker trained Eva, was the only food that would motivate her, she doesnt eat treats and they did contribute to her weight issues. Now she turns her nose up at them too, which is probably for the best since she is now on an obesity diet.
Feeding things like prawns and tuna on a regular basis can turn a cat into a faddy eating cat and the salt content of these things isnt very good for them at all. A little on ocassion is ok but be warned, the cat trains the human and not the other way round:lol: :lol: :lol: