PDA

View Full Version : Cat advice again please

kado
01-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Hi all. At the end of august a cat adopted my friend. He first thought he was a castraited male but now has his doubts. The cat called max now is getting very round and yesterday he said that the nipples has started to drop. He has had max for about 65days he/she was very vocal to beging with and now he has too put more food down. Why i am asking is that they are going away on holiday for a for a while on holiday and i am cat sitting. I think i have read some where that cats when they are going to give birth nipples drop they go away a week today. Could max be pregnant.

Mags
01-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Max/Maxine is showing all the signs of being pregnant, Jane..:? I think if I were you, I would tell your friend to take him/her to the vet as soon as possible to be checked over.

The last thing you want is the cat to produce kittens while the owner is on holiday!!:shock::)

Please let us know the outcome of Max/Maxine's dilemma..:D

Fran
01-11-2007, 06:28 PM
It certainly sounds like Max could infact be an un-neutered female and by the sounds of things might be expecting. I would get the cat checked over by a vet just to confirm and see what is going off. Looks like you might be very busy while your friend is away ;)

kado
01-11-2007, 06:48 PM
I always thought max could be a female. My friend is going away for a month and even he thinks max might be pregnant. I will get him to take max to the vets before next thursday. If max is a she he will get her spayed as soon as the possible after the babies are born and weaned. All his 4 other cats are spayed and neutered and i know if i have anyworries about max or any of the other i can take them to the vets and he will be perficaly fine with me doing it.

PS Mags i have started calling max maxine as well
How long after the nipples drop do they give birth?

Fran
01-11-2007, 06:54 PM
What do you mean by the nipples 'dropping'? are they bagging up? If so I'd say labour isn't that far away but they are all different, some cats bag up more than others and sooner than others. If he can work out how many days it is since she was very vocal, that would be a better indicator of things..

Mags
01-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Fran will be more able to answer your last question than me Jane ........... I have never had the experience of kittening..:)

kado
01-11-2007, 07:06 PM
I will ask him in the morning. Max has beign realy quiet for the last 4 weeks or so could be even more. I think max is eating more as well before he came they put 2 cans of food down and a realy big bowl of go cat down, its now three a day. I looked after them a couple of weeks ago and went in the morning and everything has gone all the milk and even the water. That makes me think max is eating not just for herself.

Fran
01-11-2007, 07:21 PM
If Max is pregnant, she needs to be having plenty of good quality kitten food now

kado
01-11-2007, 07:31 PM
I will tell him. He is going on saturday for the cat food for his holiday around 100tins so a few more tins wont make a difference. I know if max has babies they will find realy good homes for them and they will be properley looked after.

dandysmom
01-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Looks as if you'll have an interesting cat-sitting session! Do keep us posted on Maxine's story!

kado
01-11-2007, 08:40 PM
I am realy looking forward too it. I have looked after newborn rabbits and hamsters but never kittens

yola
01-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Ooo Jane - how exciting! Looks like Max/ine will be presenting us with some Catsey kittens :D How kind of your friend to take on this stray; let's hope all goes well. Please let us know what transpires.

Kay
01-11-2007, 10:45 PM
If she was vocal about 4 weeks ago that is very possibly when she mated in which case you ahve another 5 weeks to go. If the nipples have gone bright pink and larger within the last week, approximately about 3 weeks after her being vocal, this is called pinking up and is the first indication the cat is pregnant. She definitely needs examining by a vet to clarify the situation. As Fran said high quality food is what is needed preferably a quality make dried kitten food. All my expectant mums are fed on Royal Canin Kitten. Kitten food is higher in protein so helps both mum and babies.

Let us know what happens.

Grete
02-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Wow how amazing! Definately needs to be seen by a vet - because if he/she IS male, there is something else going on there too ;)

Keep us updated, I'm fascinated :)

Kay
02-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Wow how amazing! Definately needs to be seen by a vet - because if he/she IS male, there is something else going on there too ;)

Keep us updated, I'm fascinated :)

I have actually had a kitten that was both male and female. It is rare and they can't become either parent but it was confusing when trying to sex it :oops:.

kado
02-11-2007, 12:25 PM
I have just seen max and the nipples are twice the size, max is also very round on the belly. We think max is part siamese. Max is owner just said he would problaly keep the rint of the litter if OH lets him. There both nurses and love there cats to bits. Kado also goes in for his breakfast sometimes and he loves sitting on there roof and they dont mind one bit.

Grete
02-11-2007, 03:18 PM
I have actually had a kitten that was both male and female. It is rare and they can't become either parent but it was confusing when trying to sex it :oops:.

Wow I can imagine! Never thought cats would be hermaphrodite but then I guess any mammal has the potential for a genetic oopsie.

tilly
03-11-2007, 02:42 PM
How very exting I hope it all goes well and you find out soon.
Sally