PDA

View Full Version : CAT POO! Can we reduce binned waste?

angieh
31-10-2007, 03:31 PM
I have been thinking about cat poo today! Yes, I have - sad isn't it? The type of cat litter I use (eg. Catsan) is very heavy dry, let alone wet and if householders are going to be charged for binned waste in the future, perhaps this is something that does need thinking about. I understand that the paper sort of cat litter can be put in EM type bins (Bokashi) with the accompanying urine, but I don't seem to be able to find out if solids can also go in the bin. Does anyone out there have answers/opinions? :cat4

alexgirl73
31-10-2007, 03:37 PM
to be honest angie, this is something I've been thinking about also, and haven't come up with any answers yet. I know with worlds best you can flush itdown the toilet, but it works out veryexpensive if you have more than one cat (and I have 3). I think it should be the litter manufacturers coming up with mor flushable products at more competitive prices, otherwise I dont know what else to do. I'll be interested to see other peoples opinions.

yola
31-10-2007, 03:43 PM
I was thinking that too. Infact I think it everytime I have to drag the bin out into the drive and find I can hardly move it :shock: LOL!!

I do try and shake off as much as I can before bagging it, but my litter too (pettex) is heavy.

Flushable could be interesting, however it would mean trailing kitty poo/pee through the house to get it to the loo and I can't relocate the trays now after 10+ years it would freak the cats out!! There would also be the addee challenge of changing the cat littler to a flushable one. Again, being creatures of habit my 2 will probably balk at using new litter :roll:

However, will the pay for what you throw be based on actual weight of the bin? I've been reading that they might actually base in on capacity of bin and how much of it you fill. Afterall, heavy items do not necessarily mean that they will take up more space in landfill!

dinahsmum
31-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Teach your babies to wee-wee in the human toilet - seriously, it's not difficult!

yola
31-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Are yours still doing it DM? I think mine would struggle jumping up onto the loo - I've never known such lazy cats LOL!

alexgirl73
31-10-2007, 03:46 PM
great idea in theory DM, but can you imagine Teddies wee short legs trying to perch on the edge of the loo!!!! LOL!

dinahsmum
31-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Are yours still doing it DM? I think mine would struggle jumping up onto the loo - I've never known such lazy cats LOL!
Oh yes - good boys! :)

Jane
31-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Patch goes to the toilet outside in the woods mostly - he still has his litter tray but only uses it at night about once a month lol :lol:

angieh
31-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Teach your babies to wee-wee in the human toilet - seriously, it's not difficult!

This sounds SO amazing (no pix I suppose - a bit indelicat/e??) but sadly I don't think that would be a practical solution to the problem! Think about our elderly cats! And if all the cat owners trained all their kitties think about the queues for the loo ................ !

dandysmom
31-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Wow, that's a problem, isn't it? We don't have any pending regulations like that here in the States. I guess with only one cat I'd probably just grit my teeth and pay what it costs...

Mags
31-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Our bins are collected once a fortnight and if anyone leaves an extra sack by the side of the bin, the collecters refuse to take it..:roll: Just imagine how that could build up if you have to wait another two weeks before it's collected!:roll: I suppose the only other alternative is to take extra rubbish to the local tip yourself..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/7069126.stm

Grete
31-10-2007, 07:27 PM
We use a recycled paper based litter called Bio Catolet - it can be composted and soaks up moisture and dries out cat poo really well and is minimal smell. It's also lightweight and you don't need all that much of it in the tray at one time.

Most supermarkets sell it as well as pet stores etc - Tesco definately do cos that's where we buy it.

Here is a link about it's properties :
http://www.midas-products.co.uk/biocat.htm

Kay
31-10-2007, 08:15 PM
I used to use World's Best Cat Litter and it was fantastic as it could be flushed away. The price was the put off. Although I was in the breeders club and got it discounted you had to buy so much to get the discount and I don't have the room to store all of it never mind pay out £150 an order for litter. I don't use it anymore but would love to be able to go back to it.

angieh
01-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Grete - thanks for hint about Bio Catolet - that may certainly answer part of my particular problem. Thanks for all comments. I am still smiling, thinking about cats being trained to use the loo!

yola
01-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Angie, here's Hilary's thread about getting Bentley and Chester started on using the human loo . . . made interesting re-reading :D

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=15234&highlight=Toilet

angieh
01-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Hi Yola - thanks for the link! Amazing - not sure whether my OH would appreciate sharing the loo with the cat! And I'm afraid my old boy (cat not hubby!) would find the change too much to cope with at his time of life. Would be fun to try with a younger mog - who knows for the future. Many thanks.

angieh
01-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Just to let you know - as I was looking for info on Bio-catolet, I came across this product, not yet available in UK evidently but looks promising.

http://www.aminews.co.uk/products/ami_sand.htm

(Not sure if we're allowed to put in links, but seeing as others do?????)

Grete
01-11-2007, 02:32 PM
That Ami Sand does look interesting - hope they can get it for the UK eventually. Thanks for the link Angie :)

Kay
01-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Sounds really good. I will try it when it gets here. It did say in the link it would be here late 2007 so not that much longer to wait I guess. I just hope the price is reasonable.

ajs
10-11-2007, 12:20 AM
I loved reading the kitties diary of loo training! How are they going now?

I am shortly to be adopting two youngsters and would love to be able to give toilet training a go.

I am also very interested in the litter discussion, as the cats currently use covered litter trays with "yesterdays news" litter (I know nothing about it, but the lady who gets it locally is a breeder, who also does some breed rescue work).

I foster a pair of rabbits, and their poo and used hay goes into my compost heap. They are litter trained, (they use 2 open trays); the trays are lined with newspaper to absorb urine and well covered with hay which they munch on whilst toileting!

I guess if there are cat litters that can be composted, I would choose to use one of them.

Alison x:)

angieh
21-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Just to update you - I emailed the firm who presumably were to distribute the Ami Sand (the firm is actually based not far from where I live) to query when it will be available in the UK. So far, I have received no reply, so I guess not holding our breath is the best option. I have bought a bag of Bio Catolet.

I am sorry about this, as it did seem a really good option, depending on the price of course. If I do hear anything, I'll update again.:(

Grete
21-11-2007, 08:37 PM
I hope you get on with the Bio Catolet, as I said before I swear by it and it's a good compromise environmentally. Seems very good at odour control too :)

Kay
21-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Just to update you - I emailed the firm who presumably were to distribute the Ami Sand (the firm is actually based not far from where I live) to query when it will be available in the UK. So far, I have received no reply, so I guess not holding our breath is the best option. I have bought a bag of Bio Catolet.

I am sorry about this, as it did seem a really good option, depending on the price of course. If I do hear anything, I'll update again.:(

Please do as I would be interested in trying this if the price is right.