PDA

View Full Version : Bad Breath - Help!

SarahB
31-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Hello all,

Sorry if there's already been some posts on this topic - I've just joined and had a quick look and couldn't find any.

I'm hoping someone can give me some tips on getting rid of bad breath - the cat's, not mine :)

We have two cats but only one has bad breath - he's somewhere between 5-8 years old and we've had him for just over a year from Battersea Dog's Home. I love him dearly but he does have really bad breath - I can smell him from the other end of the sofa when he starts washing!

He won't eat any cat treats etc so I can't give him any breath treatments - the only things he'll eat are his pouches, cat biscuits under duress and ham. The only thing I have read is that it can just be from tartar on his teeth so I'm wondering if we should take him to the vets for a clean - I can barely get him to eat his worming tablet let alone try to clean them myself - but I don't really want him to be sedated if not necessary. The vet didn't mention anything at his yearly check-up so maybe I should just learn to put up with it?

Any advice gratefully received :)

Moli
31-10-2007, 02:47 PM
He could need some dental treatment, or as you say a clean up.....He may have gingervitis which will make his breath very smelly, I would get the vet to check his mouth...
Welcome to Catsey.....:)

Amber
31-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Has he had his teeth checked by the vet?

Bad breath can be the first sign of dental problems so it may be worthwhile getting them checked.

Something I use for my cat, is a product called "Aquadent". It goes into the water, has no smell or taste, but contains enzymes to help break down and stop the tartar from forming, and also helps with bad breath.

dinahsmum
31-10-2007, 02:49 PM
He might need a clean, or he might even have 'something' stuck between his teeth which needs dislodging.
Once your vet has given him the all-clear you could think of geting PlaqueOff for him - I've found it works wonders for my smelly-breathed boy
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=298

EDIT - sorry - should have said welcome! :oops:

Fran
31-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Warm wlecome to Catsey! I really would urge you to get the vet to look in his mouth. It could be a number of things but often bad breath is linked to teeth and gum problems. Do let us know how you get on

yola
31-10-2007, 03:33 PM
It is usually a sign of tooth decay. I use a lamb (they do chicken and beef also) toothpaste which I squirt a little of into the cats' mouths. It produces enzymes which remove the plaque. One of mine especially, suffered from bad breath :shock: the problem has reduced somewhat and the vet actually said that his teeth are in excellent condition (he's 10 1/2)!!

I think the paste is called Logic and costs about £10.

SarahB
31-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys - he's booked in for Saturday so I shall let you know the outcome. Now we just have to get him into the carrier......

yola
31-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Now we just have to get him into the carrier......

And that's a whole other story I bet (I think we've all mostly been there LOL)!!!

Grete
31-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Hiya SarahB, welcome to Catsey :)

I echo the others here, bad breath is most commonly down to plaque or bad teeth - some cats seem more prone to it than others.

My girl Bubbles just went through a dental and had a couple of teeth removed. While I was scared stiff for her, she came through absolutely fine and is much happier in herself - we hadn't realised just how much her teeth had been bothering her.

The nurse at her check up mentioned Plaque off as an ongoing aid to keep her teeth clean from now on (as have several members here).

Also thanks DiM - I have been looking for a link for Plaque off and you just solved it for me ;)

Anyway, good luck - let us know how he gets on and we'd love to see some pics of your two :)

Kay
31-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Welcome to Catsey.

Hope he is ok on Saturday and that the carrier doesn't prove to be that much of a problem. It definitely sounds like a dental problem and needs investigating.

dandysmom
31-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Welcome to Catsey! Hope the carrier isn't too much of a struggle; do let us know the report. And pics of your two would be nice......

SarahB
13-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Hello all,

Just thought I'd give you a quick update - sorry it's taken me a while. Been to the vets twice now - first week they gave him an anti-inflammatory as his gums were a bit swollen and then I had to book him in for a teeth clean and anti-biotic. He's back home and all fine now (has even forgiven us for putting him in the carrier two weeks in a row!) - haven't had a chance to sniff his breath yet though!

The good thing is that, although he had plaque, the teeth themselves are fine according to the vet. I'm going to look into getting some of the toothpaste and see if I can get the cats to try it (strangely my vet didn't mention it at all).

Thanks again for all your advice (and piccies of them will be going up soon).

Grete
13-11-2007, 08:40 PM
That's great news Sarah :) If they don't take to the toothpaste look at getting the Plaque-off that has been recommended by several people :)

Glad your boy got through it all OK :)

tilly
17-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Glad it went well at the vets. Welcome to catsey and I hope that the bad breath is cured now.
Sally