PDA

View Full Version : Curtailing your cats' hunting successes

dinahsmum
30-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Reading Luke's post about the trophies he was given by his lovely girls reminded me of an article in saturday's paper about a device to impair cats' success without harming or endangering them.
here it is - The CatBib.
http://www.hippyshopper.com/2006/05/review_the_catb.html
not very beautiful and you would think it would drive the poor cats up the wall but apparently not ... they adjust very quickly and don't seem bothered at all. But it does impair their hunting skills enough to give prey, especially birds, a good chance.

I don't think Bentley will be geting a bib (he's the hunter, Chester can't be @rsed) but I might think about it if I had a cat who was decimating the songbirds.

Moli
30-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Don't think I will bother for my lot either.....does not look very comfy to wear....

dandysmom
30-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Interesting but doubt if I'd get one if mine were outdoor cats. Too, too silly looking; also my one outdoor cat never did birds, only mice; I couldn't care less about him decimating the rodent population!

TraceyR
30-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Ha if I could be sure it worked I would get one. Paws is evil! she kills, pigeons, robins and basically any bird that happens to wander into the garden!

The problem we have is she does not often kill them immediately and likes to bring them in the house to play with them. Now I could cope with dead mice, rats and birds but what I cannot cope with is live mice running around my house.

It got so bad we actually had to put our cat flap on one way so they can go out but cannot get back in. The trouble with this is poor gentle Tommy who I have never seen with anything in his mouth cannot get into the house. Paws however manages to open the cat flap with her mouth! and get through it by opening it back to front.

Anyway if anyone has any suggestions for stopping Paws decimating the local bird population I would be very grateful to hear them.

Grete
30-10-2007, 06:28 PM
I would say a collar with a bell on it so she can't stalk but I know she's a class act for getting out of them and losing them ;)

borderdawn
30-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Just secure your garden with cat proof fencing, works a treat!

Rosie
31-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Mine don't do birds but wish they did slugs and snails!!!

Jane
31-10-2007, 12:20 PM
I saw a program a month or two ago where they tried out about six different collars on some kitties and this did proove to be the best but I gotta admit the kitty didn't look comfortable at all wearing it.

We wont be buying any, sorry birdies.

random
31-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Hahahahaa, mine would throw a hissy fit in that! Is it safe?

Tucker has 3 bells on his collar and still manages (although probably about 10% of what he'd catch without a bell) to catch and kill. It is the birds that are more disheartening I agree.

Grete
31-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Mine don't do birds but wish they did slugs and snails!!!

Bubbles came in once going absolutely mental because she'd got a slug attached to her tail :roll: :shock: :roll:

For a hunter, she's also a scaredy-cat :-D

Kay
31-10-2007, 08:21 PM
That looks really uncomfy. I am so glad mine are indoor cats and don't hunt. I definitely wouldn't buy one even if I had outdoor cats.