PDA

View Full Version : Flea advice?

Luke
29-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Well..im about to despair. No matter what we do we can't get rid of the fleas on William [longhaired kit], and in this..Maxwell gets the odd one on him too..none of the other furies though. But no matter what happens..William doesn't get "clean", we've used frontline spray as the vet advised..but its still not working!
He just has soo much fur they seem to maybe hide away in it when the spray goes on im thinking, maybe i'm not getting it everywhere?
Any help?

Jane
29-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Are you treating the house too? If not then the fleas will be living in the house (like sofas, carpets etc) and will jump onto them. Sorry if it seems obvious just thought I'd ask...

Fran
29-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Think Jane has hit the nail on the head Luke, you need to treat the house, dog, cat bedding etc.... How old are the kitts now?

tilly
29-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Hope the fleas go away soon. Is there anyway you could use a spot on or is he too young as then you would know it has hit the skin.
SAlly

Amber
29-10-2007, 06:01 PM
For every five fleas on a cat, there are normally 20 more in the house - nasty thought! A female flea can also lay upto 50 eggs in one day so it doesn't take long for an infestation to start in the house.

Once the fleas live in the house, they will harbour in the carpets until such a time when they jump onto the animals. Unfortunately just treating the animal will not kill the fleas in the environment.

I would highly recommend treating everything! Wash all bedding on a hot wash, treat all animals in the house with a spot on flea product and spray the whole house aswell.

RIP Fleas is a very good household spray, as is Staykill.

Kay
31-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Definitely treat the whole house. Some cats just seem to attract fleas more than others. I would use Acclaim in the house and a combination of Fronline spot on and Capstar tablets. The Capstar tablets kill a 100% of the fleas on the cat within 24 hours and this combined with the Fronline spot on is very effective. You could also try the Program injection which is given by the vet and lasts 6 months.

The Capstar should be available at your vets but is cheaper from www.wormers.co.uk (http://www.wormers.co.uk).

Good Luck.