PDA

View Full Version : How often do you bathe your cat?

Darky
26-10-2007, 11:50 AM
I feel accomplished~

I just gave Honey a bath, and now he smells of coconut. ;D The cat shampoo I got is 'tropical mist' scented apparently.

He was well-behaved as usual (he doesn't scratch or try to escape, just looks immensely shocked), and let me comb him afterwards too without a fuss (whilst he re-cleaned himself.)

But when I finished bathing him, he got out of the bath - but was soaking. So I needed to hold him over the bath to get the excess water off of him, but he thought I was putting him back in - causing him to spontaneously run up my arms and onto my shoulder. o_o

So I was soaking wet, walking around the house with a shivering cat on my shoulder. XD

I was wondering how often y'all bathe your cats? I know that most people rarely do, if ever - usually only if the cat has become exceptionally filthy, right?

I groom Honey at least three days a week (he's semi-longhaired and has a very fluffy tail which is prone to little tangles) and I bathe him every 2-3 months.

I enjoy grooming animals immensely, and he's so tame and well-behaved that it makes me job wonderfully easy. Also, it means that if in the future he desperately needs a bath for any reason, he'll be much more prepared for it.

Kay
26-10-2007, 12:00 PM
My cats are Persians. I tend to bathe the ones I don't show as and when needed. The ones I show are bathed every week. Apparently it encourages the hair to grow and thicken. My stud cat who I no longer show has to be bathed every month as he has very bad stud cat tail.
After bathing they all get dried with a hairdryer so there is no chance of catching a chill specially in the winter. I tend to bathe the kittens I breed at least twice before they go to their new homes. This is so it isn't a new experience as most Persians will need a bath at sometime in their life.

Darky
26-10-2007, 12:11 PM
I can imagine! Do your persians cope with bathing well? I love persians but grooming must be a work load.

charliebubs
26-10-2007, 12:14 PM
My cats are Persians. I tend to bathe the ones I don't show as and when needed. The ones I show are bathed every week. Apparently it encourages the hair to grow and thicken. My stud cat who I no longer show has to be bathed every month as he has very bad stud cat tail.
After bathing they all get dried with a hairdryer so there is no chance of catching a chill specially in the winter. I tend to bathe the kittens I breed at least twice before they go to their new homes. This is so it isn't a new experience as most Persians will need a bath at sometime in their life.

I didn't know that Kay :) I'll start bathing Lily more often - I'm sure she'll thank you!!! lol ;)

I bath Lily only every few months - just when she looks like she needs it rather than as a routine.

I don't bath the others, but I have had to wash Red's feet before!!! He was not pleased :( and I'm going to have to do it again before his next show!!

Kay
26-10-2007, 12:15 PM
They aren't too bad their natures are generally very laid back which helps. It's the drying thats the hardest bit especially their tummies. They are very sensitive there. The grooming isn't as bad as people think as long as you keep on top of it. I advise my new owners just 15-mins a day should keep everything in order. Gets a lot when you have 11 though but like you I loove it. I think it is really relaxing.

Kay
26-10-2007, 12:17 PM
I didn't know that Kay :) I'll start bathing Lily more often - I'm sure she'll thank you!!! lol ;)

I bath Lily only every few months - just when she looks like she needs it rather than as a routine.

I don't bath the others, but I have had to wash Red's feet before!!! He was not pleased :( and I'm going to have to do it again before his next show!!

That is what they do in America and there Persians have stunning coats. Mind you the have air conditioning as well which helps keep a constant temperature. It's worth a try.

Thanks for the card Charlie it is absolutely gorgeous. ;) ;)

Darky
26-10-2007, 12:19 PM
I used to have four guinea pigs, one which was part sheltie, so I think that's where my love of grooming comes from. XD They were bathed one a month, a pair every two weeks, and thoroughly combed and brushed.

Plus I used to bathe my rat Isaac (RIP) regularly as he had breathing problems and the cleaning of his nose and the bathing really helped.

It really is very relaxing! Though Honey may think otherwise.

Plus there's nothing better than cuddling a wonderfully soft, recently bathed cat.

Kay
26-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Plus there's nothing better than cuddling a wonderfully soft, recently bathed cat.
I have to agree there :lol: :lol:

Moli
26-10-2007, 01:05 PM
I have never ever bathed a cat...

yola
26-10-2007, 01:20 PM
I used to bathe (well, shower) the persians when they were younger. Now, Fifi only gets washed if she's got a claggy waggy :smt103

Neither especially like it and I have been scratched, not deliberately, but they used my leg as traction for their claws :shock:

I used to hairdrier them but they got SO stressed that I just towel them dry well and truly and then keep them in a warm room if it's cold.

charliebubs
26-10-2007, 04:27 PM
I used to bathe (well, shower) the persians when they were younger. Now, Fifi only gets washed if she's got a claggy waggy :smt103

A what!?!?!???!!!?? :?

In fact.............I'm not going to ask!!!! :oops:

dandysmom
26-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Never!!! We bathed the cat I grew up with once....only once! The scars healed nicely...
Seriously, all of mine have been indoor only shorthaired non-show cats, and wouldn't dream of trying to bathe them! I can't even pill them....:roll: :-D

MrsH
26-10-2007, 04:47 PM
I've never bathed a cat but yesterday evening Jason came in from toiletting with incredibly muddy paws. I tried to wash his feet in the kitchen sink but he won!!

Grete
26-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Now, Fifi only gets washed if she's got a claggy waggy :smt103

Lol that made me really laugh Yola :)

tilly
26-10-2007, 05:18 PM
I ahve only had to bath mne a coulple of time in the ten old years I have had them as they got pee and poo on them.
They were exceptionally good. I came away unscathed!!
Sally

Jane
26-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Patch has had parts of him washed with the shower before when he was really gross and dirty but never a whole wash because he doesn't need it and would hate it.

borderdawn
26-10-2007, 06:02 PM
I never bath my Cats.

Elaine
26-10-2007, 10:24 PM
I never bath my Cats.

Me either. When Eva was a kitten she had a runny botty and I washed that once or twice but have never actually bathed them.

Elaine
26-10-2007, 10:27 PM
claggy waggy :smt103

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Love it and stealing it

Mags
27-10-2007, 02:28 PM
I have never bathed any cats that I have owned but when my previous cat, Sam used to come in covered in mud or oil, I used the Quick Bath pre-moistened wipes on him, not so distressing as bathing him.
Here's a link to them, 3rd item down .......

http://www.entirelypets.com/qubawiforca1.html (http://www.dogs-cats-pets.com/category/Pet__Supplies_SUB_Pet__Cleaning_DI_Bath__Accessori es/)

I bought mine in Sainsbury's :D
(http://www.dogs-cats-pets.com/category/Pet__Supplies_SUB_Pet__Cleaning_DI_Bath__Accessori es/)

yola
27-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Love it and stealing it

We have the consumate poet and artist Mr Ian Dury to blame for coining the phrase Claggy Waggy (I cannot take credit for it :roll: ).

He, in his typical way, used it in a far more un-PC manner :shock:

Tinker
09-11-2007, 09:36 AM
I have only ever bathed a cat once.
When he was young Bobby fell in the pond. Well, actually that is not quite an accurate, Bobby pounced on a leaf that was in the pond (he never was the brainiest of cats bless him). Long haired cats, blanket weed and canadian pond weed really don't make a good combination, so there was only one thing for it. I filled the sink with warm water, put Bobby in it................................. and lived to tell the tale (just!) :smt103

When Bobby became older I resorted to trimming his bloomers to avoid dangleberries as I didn't fancy ever trying to bath him again :oops:

HellBelle
30-11-2007, 05:36 PM
I've only ever bathed a cat once years ago when one of them got creosote in his fur. It was a nightmare and not something I wish to repeat unless necessary.

Having said that, Cadbury was surprisingly cooperative when he needed cleaning up after he ate something that didn't agree with him (eeewww!)

Soupie
30-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Quando has a bath before each show and as when in between - he is an angel to bath - standing in a bath of water while I pour water over him and purrs when I do the shampooing!

He's not keen on the blowdrying though that helps set his curls ;)

I have never attempted it with Pousse but she could do with one at the mo :)

random
01-12-2007, 12:00 AM
Hardly ever. They'd have to be in a right state before i'd risk my life getting my lot in a bath! :lol:

In the whole 14 years we had Tabs she probably had about 5 baths and then they were only because she was absolutely manky! :roll:

Most muck will just brush out and then be cleaned by themselves but they don't really go out on their own, occasionally Tucker does go into the garden, and Jen too, but then she is not my responsibility.

The rest stay in unless out on a harness so they don't really get too bad. And I don't show so no need really!

danits_24
01-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey,
I hardely ever wash my cats, only if they are really filthy, which doesn't happen very often because all three of them are indoor cats.

Cats are known as animals who groom themselves daily and that way they are always clean.
If your cat is an indoor cat and she is grooming,I don't see a reason to give her a beth, maximum clean her with some pre-moistened towellette.

Hope I was able to help. Anyway, you can read some more in this link:

yola
01-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi - I find that with my long-haired cats, if they have an unfortunate tummy >> bum incident (i.e., poo stuck to them) they I would rather wash it off in the shower then have my 2 small boys trail across surfaces that has shared rank kitty poo.

I don't habitually wash my cats - but if I were showing them then I would have to.

angieh
01-05-2008, 11:32 PM
I have only ever washed Merlin once - when he was a kitten and got oily stuff, presumably from under a car, all over his back. Didn't want him trying to lick that off.

Once, again when he was a kitten, he fell in the bath. I was in it at the time and it was hot! Poor lambkin - I jumped out of the bath with him and wrapped him up in a towel and dried him off. He was so good and I got lots of purrrrrs. But that was it. No routine washing here.

Fiorella-Bella
08-05-2008, 10:07 PM
I bathe Fiorella every 7 weeks..she loves it. She's a Bengal and they love water! :smt023

nursecroft
09-05-2008, 09:37 AM
I have bathed Betula twice and she didnt mind, she likes water but on her terms, not me scrubbing her with smelly shampoo!! haha

kado
09-05-2008, 11:03 AM
i had to bath kado on monday as he sat in the frying pan i had left on top of the cooker. It was cool though. I only realy do it when needed but he does love it.

danits_24
17-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Hey,
I hardly ever bath my cats, because they are always clean.
Cats have a textured tongue especially to clean them selves, so I would recommend to just clean your cat with a pre-moistened towellette, but if your cat doesn't mind being bathed, so every few month it's possible to bath him.
And well, coconut is a good fragrance indeed... :p

mattde
19-12-2008, 09:49 AM
I like the idea of giving my cats a bath one day, think I'll have to invest in some heavy duty gloves tho.