PDA

View Full Version : Skin Problems

Tc's Servants
25-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Our cat TC has recently started scratching a lot, and leaving red raw patches of skin exposed because of it. These then scab over eventually leaving crusty areas of bald skin.

We use flea treatment regularly and the vet assures us that it is not fleas but probably a food allergy. He has said that this is common, but difficult to determine exactly what may be causing these sores. He has put TC on steroids and advised us to think about changing his diet. The steroids have not helped that much at present.

Has anyone else ever had these problems with their cat, and can anyone advise about diets that may be worth trying?

Thanks, Desperate Devoted Servants of Top Cat!!:cry:

smudgley
26-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Hello & welcome to catsey

As your vet says, skin problems are so hard to diagnose what causes them.

If we have any dogs at work with skin issues, the first plan is usually flea control etc & an elimination diet, which menas a diet they've not had before (so there are special dry foods containing capalin & tapioca or fish & potato) and the dog isn't allowed any oter foods AT ALL. For 6/ 8 weeks. If the skin is better, we know we have a food related allergy. If not is's on to step 2...etc.
But food is always the first thing to be ruled out as it is thought to be the easiest to deal with.

Not so sure if cats are the same, but the next step for the dogs is a skin test where they are injected with tiny amounts of different things & then you can see which ones have a reaction, therefore which was the dog is allegic to.

Only trouble with skin issues is a referal to a dermatologist & an expensive vet bill. :?

dinahsmum
26-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Hello and welcome.
My boy Bentley had an itch/rash issue earlier this year. My vet ruled out fleas and, like yours, said 'allergy'. However he didn't specify a food allergy, in fact he said it was much more likely to be 'environmental' - something Bentley was coming into contact with in the home or outside; a sort of feline version of hay fever. 3 long lasting steroid jabs seem to have sorted him (fingers crossed), though I would not be surprised if it reappears for a while next spring, when whatever plant/pollen/whatever, appears again.
How old is TC? Is he a young thing, likely to grow out of this allergic reaction?
And what do you feed him on now?

whiskey
26-10-2007, 10:47 AM
my cat whiskey suffers from something that sounds very much like what your cat seems to have i may be wrong though.we took whiskey to the vets and he was diagnosed with having harvest mite which he suffers from every year we used flea treatment which sometimes helps but its normally a trip to the vets for a steriod injection and long lasting antibiotics.the link below may help.click on harvest mite:)
http://www.darwinvets.com/topical/arthritis.htm

sammy
26-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Hi. My Mizzie had the same symptoms and we eventually realised she was allergic to 'wet' cat food - didn't seem to matter which brand......

You don't say what TC eats at the moment, but might be an easy place to start if he is on wet food....

Kay
26-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Never had a problem with food allergies.
Thought this link may be of some use.

http://www.medi-vet.com/felineallergy.aspx

I just googled Feline Food Allergies and a lot of good sites came up. This was just one of many

tilly
26-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Tilly has a food allergy and is fed d/d hills is a unique protien (venison) below are some diets you can try:
Feline d/d™ Venison Formula

For the Nutritional Management of Cats with Food Allergy and Intolerance Food allergy and intolerance is an abnormal response to food that can cause a variety of uncomfortable and even painful skin and stomach problems in your cat. This condition is also known as adverse reactions to food and is typically associated with the protein in pet food. Prescription Diet* Feline d/d* is formulated with a single, novel—or new—protein source that helps manage cats with adverse reactions to food. For cats, most allergic reactions occur as a result of beef, dairy products and fish. Feline d/d contains none of these.
Feline z/d™ Low Allergen For the Nutritional Management of Cats with Food Allergy and Intolerance Food allergy and intolerance, also called adverse reactions to food, can cause serious skin and stomach problems in your cat. This condition is usually an abnormal response to a specific protein in food. Prescription Diet* Feline z/d* Low Allergen has an exclusive ingredient called Hill’s Hydrolyzed Protein System*, a process that eliminates animal intact proteins and significantly reduces the possibility of an adverse reaction to food. For cats, most allergic reactions occur as a result of beef, dairy products and fish. Feline z/d* Low Allergen eliminates these. ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Diet™ feline HYPOALLERGENIC HP 23™ is a highly palatable, highly digestible, hydrolyzed soy protein isolate diet that is specifically formulated to assist the diagnosis and management of adverse reactions to food.

Product Guide
Available in 6 lb. bags

Adverse reactions to food (which may be present with the following dermatological signs):
Intense pruritus and ulcerative dermatitis of the head and neck
Miliary dermatitis-like lesions
Eosinophilic granuloma complex
Bilaterally symmetrical or localized alopecia
Or with the following gastrointestinal signs:
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Inflammatory bowel disease
Dietary intolerance (lactose intolerance, gluten enteropathy)
Idiopathic diarrhea
Food elimination trial
Contraindications: Soy protein isolate hydrolysate hypersensitivity, rice sensitivity

Hydrolyzed Protein:

Soy protein isolate digest, which is composed of low molecular weight peptides, is highly digestible and has very low antigenic potential.

Skin Barrier:

High amounts of niacin, pantothenic acid, inositol, choline, and histidine reduce transepidermal water losses and strengthen the barrier effect of the skin.

Digestive Support:

The fermentable fibers (beet pulp, FOS) and zeolite help to balance the gastrointestinal microflora and protect the intestinal mucosa.

Natural Preservative:

Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract, and citric acid.

Nutritional Differences:
(as compared to typical commercial pet foods)

Limited, low allergen ingredients
Hydrolyzed soy protein isolate
Single carbohydrate source (rice)
Highly digestible
Enriched with omega-3 fatty acids (eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids)
Enriched with gamma-linoleic acid
Enriched with FOS, MOS and zeolite to optimize intestinal health
Enriched with niacin, pantothenic acid, histidine, inositol, and choline to help strengthen the skin barrier
Eukanuba Cat Dermatosis
Eukanuba Veterinary Diets Dermatosis LB for cats has been used effectively in the nutritional management of food allergies and other inflammatory skin conditions.#

The prescription diets can be quite expensive but I have found that www.petmeds.co.uk sell them cheaper (d/d from the vets is over £24. and from pet meds it is £17.99. They are good and quite quick. I have only used them once but I am going to get all my prescription food from them from now on.

hope the above is some help best of luck
Sally

Tc's Servants
26-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Hi, Many thank's for your reply, TC is appox 3/4 years old (we got him from the RSPCA) we feed him tinned whiskers, and whiskers fish pouches, and go-cat treats.

babycakes
29-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Hi and welcome to Catsey

My cat had a spell when he scratched a certians areas and this left bald patches on two occasions. It turned out that it was a post injection reaction. Has TC been injected recently?

dinahsmum
31-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Have a look at the Burns site and think about whether you want to give it a try. They'll send samples, I think, and have an in-house advice department to help with problems such as TC's
http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/

My boys eat it and they have nice coats.

Tc's Servants
03-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Hi All,

Update on T.C's Skin Problems.

Have been back to vet again as yet more scratching and open weeping sores on face, poor thing :(

Had antibiotic injection, and started on Hills Science Prescription Diet Z/D. Not allowed any other food at all, no treats - nothing.

T.C seems to enjoy the food but not sure how long that will last! Not seen much improvement so far though, still scratching!

Has anyone else used this food and seen any results with it?

Thanks for reading,

T.C's Devoted Servants :-D