PDA

View Full Version : Safety on the web..

Mags
23-10-2007, 01:53 PM
It is so important these days for parents to monitor their children's use of the computer. The most vulnerable ages appear to be from 11 to 16 and there are many parents still, who leave their children at the computer for hours without regularly checking what sites they are on...:?

Children may object to their parents checking up on them but in the long run it is far better to be safe than sorry....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7046986.stm

smudgley
23-10-2007, 02:22 PM
How frighnening. :shock:

My girls discovered MSN a few months ago & it's quite a nice way for them to talk to their little friends, but so many people end up in their address book, :? I just make them delete all the ones that I don't know. they are 9 and a half & 11yrs, but I am always popping in to check what they are up to..... My sister won't let her kids use MSN at all, they are 13 & 9, but she says no way are they using it.

MrsH
23-10-2007, 02:41 PM
MSN is also the way in which a lot of children are bullied. I was a Head of Year in a comprehensive school for many years and have dealt with untold numbers of (mainly) young girls who have fallen out with friends and have then been subjected to this form of bullying.

Because it's bullying at a distance the bully feels safe to say what they like. The language they use, the unpleasant things they say about their victims and their families would take your breath away. I advised victims to print off a copy for me and then I called the bully and parents to come and see me, show them what their sugar and spice little darlings can be like under the skin. The shock tactics usually worked. I also had superb support from our local beat officer.

Teach your children to be careful out there.

yola
23-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Although mine are a bit small for that kind of thing (we stick to Cbeebies at the moment), it does make me nervous. I don't like these chat environments as the whole invisible bullying scenario is quite concerning. I've also been on a few adult forums where I've witnessed adult ganging up on individuals and it's quite scary.

It's already easy to see how things can escalate, I picked up Dominik from after school care last week, and one 4 year old was saying to another 'I hate you and your Mum smells and I'm going to kill your sister' :shock: And this is at a little independent school where they are real sticklers for good behaviour :shock:

Mags
23-10-2007, 03:31 PM
It's so frightening isn't it:( My own children are grown up now but that doesn't stop me worrying about all the other youngsters who are allowed a free rein. My grandchildren are 5 and 7 and both are now using PCs at school .....in a couple of years time I'm sure they too will want to use MSN .......because all their friends do!:mad:
I think I would stipulate that all PCs are downstairs where parents can keep an eye on them... :roll:

Carole
23-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Its very scary. As well as MSN I feel that Bebo and My Space are others to be watched with kids. I think it is Bebo that you can give your email password and they contact everyone in your address book :shock:

Jac
23-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Funny that I barred MSN a few years ago. I also had parental controls on. Darryle used to get annoyed at always going on to fish sites and it saying he had to get my permission. I would have to ok it with a password then they would email me.
You can never be to careful when there's so many weirdo's about.

dandysmom
23-10-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm childless, but it does appall me at how many cases you read of where children go off to meet a "friend" they've met on line who turns out to be a pedophile....scary, very scary..

Donna
23-10-2007, 04:42 PM
My daughter is always on MSN. But I check it and know who she is talking to. At 13 it is a worry but know that she is aware of the dangers of going onto chat room sites etc.

I dont mind MSN if I know she is talking to a classmate but no way is she going into chat rooms and the like!

babycakes
23-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Unfotunately it is a very scary world out there and new technology opens the doors to all kinds of dangers. I do think it's the parents job to monitor the content of the conversations. Children feel they are ready emotionaly to 'handle' the big wide world and can often become caught up in something without realising it. Peodophiles have a large amount of patience. They never bungle in without ensuring it is safe for them to do so. That's why they shouldn't passed off.
But I also feel the parents on this site are excellent role models for their children and you should all recognise that you are doing a good job.

MrsErin
24-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Erin always checks where i have been.

Jk, on a serious note ive been trawling the internet for many years now, and do populate many chat rooms etc and have heard some right horror stories, like one girl in her teens did go off and meet a 28 year old, who travelled 100's of miles just to meet her, and his excuse was 'he wanted to hang out with her' now my 1st question is, why on earth would a 28 year old want to 'hang out' with a 13-14 year old?! and even travel vast distances for that. Very odd, but its very common for this to happen.

I have to say it, keep and eye on what your children are doing, as nice as the net may seem, deep down its VERY dangerous, and there are some very nasty people on the net. :( Its a shame really as the Net is really a great place where you can get information on ANYTHING you want, but there are always a small few that want to spoil it.

Eddy x