PDA

View Full Version : help I have a clingy cat!

twigglet
19-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Please help, I am 7 months pregnant and have 2 cats. My older cat molly is great, very independant but also can be affectonate. To keep her company as I work all day I got a kitten. Frankie (the Kitten) has now been with us 5 months I got her when she was 12 weeks old. The cats get on with each other and now at nose rubbing. Frankie recently is following me around every where I go. If I am sat anywhere she is trying to get on my lap and higher in my face. I play with her and stoke her but she is never is satisfied. The last 2 nights she has started to meow outside my bedroom door which has always been closed at night. I am starting to panic that I won't be able to cope if she doesn't start calming down when the baby arrives. has anyone got any advise???

yola
20-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Hi - sorry it's taken so long to reply since I viewed the thrad this morning, busy day today!

I would not be overly concerned if your cat is clingy. She is sensing your hormonal changes and also that your focus is shifting from her to elsewhere. I had 2 established cats and one relative newcomer on the occasion of both pregnancies/births. Each cat exhibited different levels of concern over the changes, in each case the rescue newcomers feeling and behaving the most unsettled.

I suspect that your young cat, being also a relative newcomer may be concerned about it's 'pecking order' and is therefore trying to get close to you as a result.

It shouldn't really cause a problem even when your baby is born. The cats will live with it, and get used to having a baby around. And if they don't like it, they can, like mine, just go and sit in another room in the house!

Don't get yourself worked up about it, as both you and the cat will be stressed as a result. Oh, and whilst you need to be watchful of where your cats are, don't fall into the trap of buying masses of expensive cat nets for cots and prams; most cats will run a mile from an unpredicable baby!!

Good luck with Frankie and the result of your pregnancy :D

Kay
20-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Totally agree with Yola. Cats are very good at picking up any kind of changes including hormonal. Because your older cat is so settled and secure she isn't worried about the changes going on. Frankie however is still finding her feet and so is a little unsure of the situation. I am sure everything will settle down so sit back and enjoy your pregnancy. Getting stressed isn't going to help you, baby or Frankie.

twigglet
22-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Thank you for your advice. It has helped put my mind at rest!! I'll let you know how I get on.......:)