PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy Stinky Poo

Diddeen
18-10-2007, 03:10 PM
my kitten is 6.5months old now.. he was neutered about 3weeks ago and recovered really quickly with no complications. I reckon the last 2 weeks we have had slight problems though. He hasnt had actual diarrhoea but at least once a day when he poos in his tray part or all of his poo is really wet, due to his long hair this means he end up sitting it everywhere! I cant understand what could have caused it.. he's had felix or whiskas kitten pouches since we got him about 3months ago, currently has 2-3 pouches a day.. and sometimes eats whiskas crunchies for kittens although not a huge amount of them. He drinks water but not excessively. He has been wormed and de-flead a few times, last wormer was given about a month ago.
Anyone any ideas what could be causing the sloppy poos?? He goes outside for short periods and i have seen his chewing grass but dont know if he eats any of it. We dont give him our food so cant think what is upsetting his tummy but his poop stinks!!
just to add other than his poo he is his usual lively, playful, and cuddly self.

Some friends have suggested changing his food to a higher quality one but id like to know what you all think on here:D

yola
18-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Both of my persians had similar problems until I switched them both to a totally dry food diet. Since then, apart from the odd episode, all has been fine.

Try trimming the bottom fur (carefully) as this will stop the distribution of poo and the associated stress of wiping/washing it - again this is something I did and the chocolate kisses all but disappeared!

Finally, it could be that your cat just has a sensitive tummy or a food allergy. I would suggest firstly switching to a premium wet food; introducing some dry. And then if that doesn't help then move onto dry only and then sensitive dry.

We have had some cats with quite serious eating disorders/allergies here so I'm sure their owners will be along in a while to offer sounder advice than I'm able to.

Oh, and the eating of the grass, that's normal. Cats use that as a digestive aid.

tilly
18-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Try him on a bland diet/ premium diet and if it doesn't clear try taking him to the vet. My Tilly has a sensitviev tummy nd gets special food but I am sure your kitty is going to be fine.
best of luck
Sally

Diddeen
18-10-2007, 04:18 PM
would they develop allergies? Its just he's been having the same foods since i had him 3 months ago and the sloppy poos have only been in more recent weeks.

Donna
18-10-2007, 05:48 PM
If he was fine on Whiskas and Felix before, he should be ok on it now... thats my thoughts.

He seems to eat more than my two three year old cats. They have one and a half pouches each a day plus a handful of dry food.

Try the more blander flavours of the pouches rather than the rich gravy ones. The jelly ones might be better?

Or if you want to give his tummy a complete break you could give him plain chicken or white fish like cod for a week and see if he improves and then slowly wean him back onto kitten food.

Is he on kitten food or adult food?

Diddeen
18-10-2007, 05:50 PM
He's on kitten food. I think he is eating less.. probably about 2 pouches a day but only a small amount of dry food aswell. I give him a handful of dry food but its rarely all gone by the end of the day.
Im going to get some burns dry and some natures menu pouches and see if that improves things... been doing some research online today;)

Donna
18-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Has he always had the dry food? Or is this a more recent addition? Could they be a bit strong for him - dry food causes Misty a few problems with either being sick or sometimes a bit sloppy!

Diddeen
18-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Ive always offered him dry food and he has had the whiskas ones in the past but until fairly recently he hasnt really been eating them that much.. finally decided he likes these ones though so i guess it could be the problem :? but now he eats those he eats a bit less wet food

Donna
18-10-2007, 09:42 PM
I would try cutting out that particular brand of dry food just to rule it out.

Diddeen
19-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Ive stopped giving him the dry food.. got held up at work today so didnt make it to the petshop so going tomorrow and also gonna go to the vets to get more worming tablets to try that again aswell. He managed to get a bit of the wet poop on the side of his tray this evening and it looks quite sort of mucousy aswell as sloppy.. he seems to do half normal poop then sloppy at the end.

Donna
21-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Let us know if there is any improvement once you have stopped the dry food, then we can go on from there!

Kay
21-10-2007, 03:33 PM
I always recommend a high quality food such as Royal Canin but if you are going to change foods please do it very gradually over a week. A quick change of foods can in itself upset a cats stomach. Gently wean him onto wet food only and keep him on that fro approxiamately 3-4 weeks to see how he is then if you wish slowly introduce a high quality dry food. That way you will see if wet or dry food doesn't agree with him. Take your time and you will get to the bottom of it but don't keep switching his foods quickly.
Another thought is that he could be cutting his finally teeth and this can sometimes upset their systems with things like tummy upsets, feading eye colour and of course sore mouths. Good luck.

Donna
22-10-2007, 02:29 PM
I hear he is improving now you have stopped the Whiskas dry food. Glad things are better.

Diddeen
23-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Yes he did seem better when i stopped the dry whiskas. I got some pouches of natures menu kitten food.. i think its a local thing but its 70% meat. He seemed to like it the first few days but then ate less of it so i got a higher meat content dry food too.. think its 27% and he seems to prefer that to the wet food now :roll:
His poo did seem better but tonight one was a bit smellier and wetter than the others we've had. Im wondering if thats because he's only eaten dry food today.. his choice!

Never thought about changing his food gradually so i may have caused the stinky poo tonight but changing his diet so much over the last week.. ooops :oops:
Should i cut out the dry food again and start again then?:?

Donna
23-10-2007, 09:27 PM
I would stop the dry food again and then very slowly introduce it back.... same rules for cats and rabbits - gradual change over!

One of my cats is a bit sensitive to some brands of dry food so thats why I thought you should start there!

Kay
23-10-2007, 10:28 PM
It doesn't really matter whether you start with the dry or wet food and if he seems to prefer the dry start him on that, rather than change his diet again, for a few weeks and see what happens.
A s I said he could be teething and that can cause runny poos much like babies so please bear that in mind as this may not be a food problem but just a bit of teething.

Diddeen
24-10-2007, 03:10 PM
ah ok thank you. He is eating the natures menu food again.. although not a huge amount, so will see how he does now. I was looking at some of the other kitten foods this morning.. the one i have is 70% meat but most of the others like hills or hi-life were only 28% so for now im gonna stick to this one. I think he's not too keen cos its like meat pate rather than lumps of meat maybe:?

Diddeen
24-10-2007, 03:35 PM
He just did a really smelly wet poop.. and as he hadnt really eaten any of his food this morning ive mixed half of it with half a pouch of the wet whiskas food he was having up til the weekend... i'll do that for a few days until i find something he will eat properly.
Thanks for the info about teeth... hadnt thought of that. My rabbits are due for their jabs soon so maybe i'll take him along too and get him checked out.. re-wormed etc if he's still making a stink :?

Kay
24-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Hope everything sorts itself out.

Diddeen
02-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Well he seemed to be doing ok recently.. hadnt had anymore sloppy poos since we stopped the whiskas dry food. I swapped him onto natures menu sachets and Hills sachets (mixing them) and gradually introduced hills dry food aswell which he seems to love. All has been fine until this morning when we got up to a smelly sloppy poo in his tray and another on the carpet which he's never done.. i can only assume it was attached to him maybe when he hopped out?? He seems happy otherwise, am about to attach him with a worming tablet i got from the vets.
The only thing i have noticed is when i just let him in from being outside his ears were very hot, they usually feel cold when he first comes in.. is that normal if he's been running??

Donna
02-11-2007, 07:12 PM
I dont know about hot ears. Mine have never felt particularly hot - but do know they can eat things outside that can upset their tummies..

Kay
02-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Hot ears is usually a good indication of a temperature so I would take him back to the vets jsut in case.

Diddeen
03-11-2007, 11:02 PM
They havent been hot again since then.. in fact today even with him indoors they feel cold. He seems to be lively and no more horrid poos on just the wet diet so think we'll be sticking to that for a while longer yet then i might try again with the dry food:roll: Guessing it must have been down to that. He took a worming tablet yesterday so thats covered now.
The other problem monitoring his poos is he appears to be going out side cos he is doing very few in his tray recently so hard to tell if they are generally ok or not.. only thing i can say is he hasnt had any on his fur other than the other day when i posted

Diddeen
09-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Well Oscar has been doing ok..we've had the odd poo in his tray and it has been formed and not smelly. Gave him only Natures Menu sachets for a while and have slowly been introducing Hill's dry kitten food along side it.. he loves it but have only been giving him a small amount of them so far. This morning he did another wet poo, not as sickly smelling as the last ones but still was quite wet and left a trail on his fur near his bottom.
Am guessing he just isnt going to tolerate dry food for some reason.
Should i just leave it out? or are there some for kittens specifically that have stomach problems. Should i get him checked out at the vets again? His ears have been normal and cold when he's been outside since so dont know what that was about :?

Donna
09-11-2007, 09:38 PM
I think there are dried food for sensitive stomachs. I am sure someone can advise. But cats can live quite happily on a wet only diet :-)

JMPARK
30-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Our Two 10 Week Old Kittens Have The Same Problem And The Vet Has Told Us To Keep Them On Boiled White Fish And Boiled Chicken For A Few Days! One Of Them Has Now Returned To Being "solid" But Still A Bit Of A Problem With The Other, Although She Seems To Be Gettin A Bit Better! They Actually Love This Food And Cannt Get Enough Of It!!

JMPARK
12-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Both my cats had bad stomachs and the vet told us to feed them both on boiled chicken and/or boiled fish (white plain, like cod) for a week and then gradually mix it with some "id" hard feed. this worked perfectly and both are going to the toilet properly now!
we are just in the process of getting them back onto the "wet" feed again, by slowly mixing the "id" hard feed with more and more of the "hi life" wet pouches. this seems to be ok and "fingers crossed" they are still ok toilet wise!!
hope this helps you and your kitten gets better.

Mags
12-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Please note this thread was started four years ago .....

truthisouthere
12-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Purina Pro Plan Sensitive is great for cats who have sensitive digestion. My 2 have been on it for years. I don't know a cat who hasn't done well on this yet! If you like I can send you some to try no worries, no cost, if it helps that'll be good! just PM me. It's also renal support which is always a plus.

I hope your kitty gets well soon.