PDA

View Full Version : Where do you shop

Kazz
17-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Come on people where do you do your food shopping......?
And are you an Online shopper or a trolley pusher?

borderdawn
17-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Asda, Marks and Spencer and Morrisons sometimes. No online food shopping for me, but do for lots of other stuff.

Grete
17-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Tesco for me hehe, we used to do some online with them but we regularly got substitutions so decided it was just easier to go to the store ;)

borderdawn
17-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Thats why I dont do food shopping online Grete, my sister has had the same problems as you, that was Tesco.

Kay
17-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Tesco, Asda, Lidl and Iceland. I have used Tesco online once but missed wandering around the shop.

Kazz
17-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Okay then do you do a monthly shop then bits or one big shop or lots of little shops.?

Karen

Jac
17-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Me too! I used to order on line with Asda but missed going to the shop. I also got substitutions a lot.

Now Asda, morrisons, sainsbury's and tesco. Freezer shop at Iceland.

Kazz
17-10-2007, 08:06 PM
See I used to do one big shop a month then only buy fresh meat veg and bread/milk .
And do you write a list?

Now I find myself spending a small fortune by shopping almost every other day and buying things I don't want and more to the point find myself throwing away - what a totay waste I am annoyed with myself.

Karen

Erin
17-10-2007, 08:09 PM
we shop at Tescos or Morrisons,do use tesco.com if im working loads and not able to get into town.
We done 1 big monthly shop and get fresh stuff weekly.
Nope dont do a list.

Jac
17-10-2007, 08:09 PM
I do a weekly shop now. Freezer shop once a month.

Mags
17-10-2007, 08:32 PM
I shop in Sainsburys every other day............ but I do go in there every day to buy a paper.....:D I'm lost without a shopping list and always come away with more than what's on my list! :-D

dandysmom
17-10-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm not naming names because of being here; but I definitely shop with a list. I make out the weekly menu so know what I need. I have one weekly big order delivered from the big chain supermarket with the heavy stuff and the essentials (ordered online) ; then pop in another market, the organic food market, daily for fresh fruit, vegetables, cheese, etc. I enjoy shopping when I don't have to lug the heavy stuff home on the bus; so this is ideal for me! We have a "no substitutions" box for the online ordering, so that's not a problem.

Grete
17-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Okay then do you do a monthly shop then bits or one big shop or lots of little shops.?

Always intend to do one shopping trip a week but it never happens :roll:

My hubby is Diabetic and I'm on a low fat diet so just at the moment it's a trial shopping for something we actually want to eat ;)

So we end up shopping a day at a time or every couple of days at most.

MrsH
17-10-2007, 08:49 PM
I shop at Waitrose or Sainsbury weekly, never use a shopping list. Occasionally, if I've forgotten something I might pop into Morrison's on the way back from work, but I really hate that place, there was a huge drop in quality locally when they bought out Safeway.

I've tried shopping online but was always frustrated by missing/substituted items and appalled at the vast number of plastic carrier bags the stuff was delivered in, sometimes only 2 items in a bag! Mind you this was a couple of years back so maybe things have improved, but I don't think you can beat doing it yourself. When I'm in supermarket I always poke around at the back of the display to find, for example, a tub of cream with a slightly longer shelf-life (I think this embarresses OH as he always walks away!)

dandysmom
17-10-2007, 09:14 PM
I shop at Waitrose or Sainsbury weekly, never use a shopping list. Occasionally, if I've forgotten something I might pop into Morrison's on the way back from work, but I really hate that place, there was a huge drop in quality locally when they bought out Safeway.

I've tried shopping online but was always frustrated by missing/substituted items and appalled at the vast number of plastic carrier bags the stuff was delivered in, sometimes only 2 items in a bag! Mind you this was a couple of years back so maybe things have improved, but I don't think you can beat doing it yourself. When I'm in supermarket I always poke around at the back of the display to find, for example, a tub of cream with a slightly longer shelf-life (I think this embarresses OH as he always walks away!)

I agree totally there, Mrs, H! But I recycle all of them; am a rabid recycler. And delivery is a godsend for senior citizens who do not drive.....

Donna
17-10-2007, 09:29 PM
I do a weekly shop in Aldi (yes the cheapy shop). I used to spend £70/80 a week in Tesco, and now my food bills are around £40 a week. Not cos the food in their is nasty/cheap but because it is their own brand and no other choice. Without the choice I dont over spend. You have to pay for carrier bags there too, which makes me reuse mine so they helping me be more environmentally friendly.

Works for me.

dandysmom
17-10-2007, 09:34 PM
I do a weekly shop in Aldi (yes the cheapy shop). I used to spend £70/80 a week in Tesco, and now my food bills are around £40 a week. Not cos the food in their is nasty/cheap but because it is their own brand and no other choice. Without the choice I dont over spend. You have to pay for carrier bags there too, which makes me reuse mine so they helping me be more environmentally friendly.

Works for me.

Giant here gives a 3cent credit for each bag you bring, And Whole Foods gives 5 cents, I always use my own tote bags for environmental reasons; wish more stores would offer that option!

EmmaG
17-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Sainsburys and Marks and Spencer also a local farm shop and deli.

EmmaG
17-10-2007, 09:39 PM
I When I'm in supermarket I always poke around at the back of the display to find, for example, a tub of cream with a slightly longer shelf-life

LOL I also do that!!!

random
17-10-2007, 10:06 PM
99% of the time Tescos.

Others I visit, usually at xmas are ASDA, Sainsbury's and Morrisons.

I sometimes do online shopping if I am getting a lot of shopping, usually xmas again! :lol:

babycakes
17-10-2007, 11:43 PM
I shop every day!!! I'm addicted, I buy things I don't use, I never have a list (cos I don't look at it in the shop anyway) and I never have a clue what we are eating until on the day. If I bought in bulk then I would forget what I have bought and it would end up in the bin! There are things in my freezer such as bogof's and things on offer and then I don't fancy them! I shouldn't shop when I'm hungry but I do and OMG I must get more organised!!!

I don't shop on line as I would miss squeezing the toms and smelling the bread and such

smudgley
18-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Used to do Tesco.com every week & it worked well, but now I'm so busy I never seem to be able to organise doing the shopping on line & finding a suitable delivery slot.:roll:

My husband does our food shop once a week now, in Asda. He's great, he buys exactly what we need for the week & doesn't overspend or buy stuff we don't want. We don't shop inbetween. (Although we are near a big Morrisons & a Tesco express if we do need anything) We have a milkman everyday & hubby buys his paper from the local shop on his way to work!

yola
18-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Waitrose for me, and when time is a premium; Ocado (Waitrose online facility). I tried using the Savacentre (giant Sainsbury's) we have here, but I get lost just going round the place! I also like to get my food in a food shop and not be distracted by clothes, hifis and tvs and all the other gubbins these stores now sell!

I used to write a list, but as I'm a creature of habit I tend to buy more or less the same stuff I don't usually bother now, which I shortsighted as I regularly forget things :roll:

OH will stop off at Waitrose most nights for top ups and wine ;) during the week, but I usually go once a week with Sebastian on a Friday before picking Dominik up from school.

I have several of these hessian shopping bags which I will use, and only take carrier bags when these are full. I do, however keep all my bags in my sweet little Cath Kidston bag sausage, and reuse them around the house :D

Kim
18-10-2007, 06:39 PM
We shop mostly in Tesco's, their clubcard scheme is fantastic! As Morrisons is nearer I do go in there to 'top up' and I love their salad bar. We occasionally use tesco.com, never had any probs with it.

Kazz
18-10-2007, 08:28 PM
What a cosmopolitan lot we are.....variety is the spice of life. Thanks all I plan to shop once a month then top up fresh weekly.
Just keep your fingers crossed I get organised.

Karen

dandysmom
18-10-2007, 08:50 PM
I forgot to add in my post that I only get staples in my bi-weekly online delivery order. I'm far, far too picky for anyone to select fruit and vegetables for me!!! Those I get at the organic market where I can inspect them closely!!!

Tink
18-10-2007, 09:04 PM
safeway..it's the only decent store that has almost everything i want in town..(we kind of live in the boonies)...but i stock up on my beverages at walmart because the prices are so much lower than the grocery stores around here.

Fran
18-10-2007, 09:06 PM
We shop once a fortnight at Asda, I buy in fresh stuff, bread, milk etc.. as we need it and will use Asda or Morrisons for this. I am considering trying Tesco or safeway, just for the variety, I'm a bit bored with Asda/Morrisons, however, on the odd occasions I have used Tesco, I find it to be considerably dearer than Asda. We have a small Tesco attached to our local petrol station and I find it expensive and the products I have tried do not compare with Asda at all. The club points are great but don't compensate for the higher prices and lesser quality imo. I have used Asda online delivery service in the past when I was working but got very frustrated at alternative items being sent or items missing. All in all, of all the supermarkets I have shopped at, Asda get's my thumbs up really, especially their curry deli counter ;)

dandysmom
18-10-2007, 09:22 PM
We shop once a fortnight at Asda, I buy in fresh stuff, bread, milk etc.. as we need it and will use Asda or Morrisons for this. I am considering trying Tesco or safeway, just for the variety, I'm a bit bored with Asda/Morrisons, however, on the odd occasions I have used Tesco, I find it to be considerably dearer than Asda. We have a small Tesco attached to our local petrol station and I find it expensive and the products I have tried do not compare with Asda at all. The club points are great but don't compensate for the higher prices and lesser quality imo. I have used Asda online delivery service in the past when I was working but got very frustrated at alternative items being sent or items missing. All in all, of all the supermarkets I have shopped at, Asda get's my thumbs up really, especially their curry deli counter ;)

You don't have a "no substitutions" option, then?

yola
18-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Yes, I think we do Eileen. No sure about ASDA as I haven't shopped there for many years (there isn't one local to me), but at Waitrose (Ocado) you have the option to reject the substitution. There's a deal running at the moment where they will give you £50 off your next shop if they have to sub more that 3 items and you choose not to have them.

That's cool by me :D

Fran
18-10-2007, 09:52 PM
You don't have a "no substitutions" option, then?

I can't remember now Eileen tbh it was that long ago. Perhaps there is that option these days but haven't looked into it for years now :? All I know is at the time I would submit my shopping list and I would be lucky if 75% of the list would turn up exactly as I had ordered :roll:

Grete
18-10-2007, 10:06 PM
There is a no substitutions options but then you have to end up going to the store to get what you wanted in the first place ;)

dandysmom
18-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Woo hoo, that's awful! No wonder you don't use it. Safeway is great, "no substitutions" means just that, and it's rare to have missing items: my bi-weekly order came today and the only thing missing was 3 tins of cat food that were out of stock. I tend to over order on the cat food just in case, so no real prob! And occasionally I get an item that I didn't order and wasn't billed for! Got some broccoli a while back, which I hate; tried to give it to my neighbor but he dislikes it too! :-D

Kim
19-10-2007, 01:00 PM
I have used Tesco, I find it to be considerably dearer than Asda. We have a small Tesco attached to our local petrol station and I find it expensive and the products I have tried do not compare with Asda at all. The club points are great but don't compensate for the higher prices and lesser quality imo.

The clubcard points are great Fran. We have used them for a holiday on a narrowbaot, cost over £1000, paid for completely in clubcard vouchers. We have had numerous meals out, and days out to theme parks etc, For the last 2 years my car has been serviced for free using the vouchers. I also paid for my son to do one of those 'days out' experiences, he drove a tanker, quad bike etc. They are fantastic. I think some prices in tescos may be more expensive than Asda and vice versa, but anything I might save could ever pay for all the things I have had using the vouchers! If you use them in store they are only worth their face value, but if you use them on deals they are worth 4 times as much! Oh yes, I nearly forgot. For our wedding anniversary this year, the vouchers paid for a de-luxe room at the Warwick Hilton and breakfast and entry to Warwick Castle!!!

whiskey
19-10-2007, 01:02 PM
i like to do my shopping online with asda so far ive not had any problems. i hate supermarkets and this is the reason i choose to do mine online:)