PDA

View Full Version : Bernard update

charliebubs
17-10-2007, 01:31 PM
I wasn't going to post this initially, as it wasn't the outcome I was hoping for, but very, very sadly Bernard has left me and has had to go back to Wood Green :cry: :cry: :cry:

I know that there will be some who will disagree with my actions, but I feel totally justified in my decision. I am satisfied that I did everything that I could to help him settle in since we moved house in July - but he just wouldn't / couldn't. :( I have no idea why. As you know, I even had a cat behaviourist to come and visit him and make an assessment, I followed all her instructions and even though they seemed to work at first - ultimately his behaviour got worse instead of better and I was sacrifcing the wellbeing of the other cats for him.

The final straw was when he attacked Lily for no reason whatsoever, totally unprovoked. Lily is the calmest and gentlest of them all and she literally didn't know what to do. I had to scruff Bernard to pull him off her. :cry:

It's been an incredibly hard decision and not one that i have taken lightly, but he has gone back to Wood Green (which is a bit of a killer in itself as I know he didn't like it there the first time around) and is getting lots of love, cuddles and grooming from the girls there. He's settled in quite well and they are hopeful that it won't be long before he is reserved - as he's soooooooooooo handsome. :)

I love Bernard very much and I wish more than anything that I could have got to the bottom of his problem. I hope that he will find a wonderful forever home now, where he can be the only cat and live out the rest of his days in peace.

Grete
17-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Oh I'm so sorry hon, that must have broken your heart :(

You did the right thing tho, you would have done all of your furbaby's a disservice and Bernard too. Some cats just don't settle and they need more than you can give them - maybe to be an only cat so he can have undivided attention.

I hope he finds the forever home he needs and that you also come to realise you did the best you could for all your kitties.

*hugs*

sarahd
17-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Sorry to hear about Bernard. I really do hope he finds his new forever home soon

Sarah
x

Jac
17-10-2007, 01:49 PM
You did more than some would have. Dont beat yourself up, there is a home for him out there where he will be an only cat and spoilt rotten.
Hugs (((())))

dinahsmum
17-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Oh what a sad story :(
Hope Bernard doesn't have to wait too long for his perfect new slave to come along.
Will they let you know?

charliebubs
17-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks everyone - it means a lot to me to have your support.

Yes, Hilary, they are fantastic at Wood Green and I'm getting regular updates by text! I'll keep you all posted too.

I'm sure that there is a wonderful home out there for him where he can be the only cat and not have to share his slaves!

Erin
17-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Oh Charlie im so sorry :(,hope he gets a new home very soon ((((hugs))))

yola
17-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Charlie, that must've been a hellishly difficult decision for you to make. So sorry you found yourself in a position to have to make it :(

I hope Bernard finds a home that is right for him. It's vital that both he and the other cats are able to feel comfortable in their environment.

You must miss him so - hugs m'dear.

Kim
17-10-2007, 04:16 PM
A hard decisioin Charlie, one which I am sure you didn't make lighly. Some things are just not meant to be. Some cats just don't like others! Hope he doesn't wait to long for his new home.

Kazz
17-10-2007, 04:26 PM
The Good of the many.....I am sure you made the right decision. I know it would have been made for the best of reasons ie your other cats and his welfare, and your own
peace of mind.

Karen

Mags
17-10-2007, 06:08 PM
What a difficult decision to have to make Charlie but something had to be done after he attacked Lily. You tried your very best for him, even down to getting in a cat behaviourist to try and help him :(

I hope he finds a new home to suit him very soon .......

babycakes
17-10-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm so sorry Bernard couldn't settle but I think you are right Charlie he needs a home where he is the only cat as he can't handle the competition. You tried really hard and you know that it's not guilt you are feeling (cos you shouldn't) it's that you are missing him I think X

Moli
17-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Sorry to hear he would not settle Charlie, but you have done what is best for him....Hope he finds a new home soon...

alexgirl73
17-10-2007, 08:46 PM
So sorry to hear this Charlie! I had to make the same decision years back when I moved house and my cat and dog, who had been the bets of friends, became the worst of enemies and nothing helped them. My cat Jasper ended up in a lovely home with a devoted slave and I used to go and see him often ( I actually ended up being her cat/house sitter when she went on holiday lol). I know it is a heart wrenching thing to do, but I'm 100% sure it was the right thing to do for you all

((hugs))

Kay
17-10-2007, 09:11 PM
So sorry that you were faced with this awful descision Charlie. You did everything you could possible do for him but there are some cats that are just better on their own. Benard was obviously one of them. I hope Wood Green are going to get him a home where he is the only pet and then I am sure he will settle. You have done the best all round although it probably doesn't feel like it just now. {{{hugs}}}

charliebubs
18-10-2007, 10:36 AM
So sorry to hear this Charlie! I had to make the same decision years back when I moved house and my cat and dog, who had been the bets of friends, became the worst of enemies and nothing helped them. My cat Jasper ended up in a lovely home with a devoted slave and I used to go and see him often ( I actually ended up being her cat/house sitter when she went on holiday lol). I know it is a heart wrenching thing to do, but I'm 100% sure it was the right thing to do for you all

((hugs))

I'm glad I'm not the only one it has happened to Alex. I do wonder why the change in house changed his personality so much :?

The only conclusion I can reach is that when he came to me in the old house he was the "last one in" so to speak and the others had already established their territory and he just slotted in; but when we moved house it was no-one's territory and so Bernard decided to be more assertive and claim it as his :?

That might be a crazy assumption - but it's really the only thing I can think of.

I do miss him like crazy.........the way he chatted to me, the way that he dribbled when I stroked him, how he loved playing with his catnip toys and eating the catnip plant in the garden, how he licked my hands when I was grooming him........... and so on.............but...........I have to say that the other cats are so much more relaxed and happy. It does seem like a weight has been lifted from them and the atmosphere is so different. That in itself tells me that I did the right thing......for them and for Bernard.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear any more from Wood Green.

Thanks again for your support ladies.
xx

dandysmom
18-10-2007, 04:13 PM
That is so sad! But you went the last mile for him, and shouldn't reproach yourself; many people would have given up much sooner. You must miss him terribly. I'm sure he'll settle well in a new home where he'll be the only, well-loved, spoiled rotten cat, bless him~! (((hugs))) to you and cuddles to the furry family ......

Elaine
23-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Just caught up with this, how very sad indeed and I am so sorry for both you and Bernard. I sincerely hope he finds his forever home very very soon and has a happy ever after.
Not an easy decision. xxx

Sweet
23-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Thinking of you ((((((hugs))))))) x

charliebubs
24-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Sadly Bernard is still at Wood Green and the girls there can't understand why :? He has had some interest, but people seem to be put off by the amount of grooming :roll: :roll:

Anyway - he's being much loved and getting lots of cuddles and grooming sessions from the girls and is apparently a BIG hit with the staff. Maybe one of them will be tempted to take him home :)

Kay
24-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

Fran
24-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Fingers crossed for Bernard, poor love :(